SASS Wire Forum

Finally, I thought I would try an eggplant

Oh, I don't know.

Some dishes prep'd by someone who knows what they're about can be quite tasty.

Big Red will often order Egg Plant Parmesan when we eat out at  our favourite Italian restaurant.

(Yeah, I know: Those guys are Canadians! They eat tree sap poured onto snow!) 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Yeah, I know: Those guys are Canadians! They eat tree sap poured onto snow!) 

We do it in Vermont too after boiling it a bit!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Almost everything does!

Have you ever had eggplant Parmesan? Delicious, of course it’s breaded and smothered in melted Parmesan cheese and tomato sauce!:lol:

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1

Eggplant has traditionally been bitter, it needs to be salted and let rest to draw the bitterness out then rinsed then cooking is possible.  Newer varietals have been developed which are less bitter.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

The only time I ever liked it, was from an Italian restaurant. Fillet Mignon, slice of eggplant on top, some sort of thin sauce, mozzarella cheese. Cooked medium rare. Yummy. Not sure if the meat was cooked first and then other stuff put on and back in oven. But it was good. 

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Typo

True story: when I was dating my wife I worked on a horse ranch and was paid accordingly. Meaning, not very much. Thus my darling future wife was always ready to bring something homemade and this famous (in our home at least) incident had her bring eggplant parmesan which I proceeded to dutifully have not one but two servings, eaten with great gusto and aplomb. Fast forward to a few years after into our happily wedded bliss when she served eggplant parmesan for what felt like the millionth time. It should be noted here that I hate eggplant in all its miserable forms as it has the consistency, to me, of being embedded with sand at the best and oowdered glass at the worst. Surprised when I told her how much I despised the vegetable, she of course brought up her initial experience with me and her famous dish and asked what had changed. I was caught out red-handed and had to admit that love will make men do the strangest things; even consume eggplant. 

Edited by Wallaby Damned
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Wallaby Damned said:

I was caught out red-handed and had to admit that love will make men do the strangest things; even consume eggplant. 

And broccoli and Brussels Sprouts.

My story about the latter. My wife Linda liked them and wanted me to join her. I agreed but stipulated only twice a year and never as leftovers. They were boiled. After a time Linda passed and I kept the promise anyway. Then I learned that they weren’t half bad if roasted.

so two weeks ago I did my groceries with Dawn, my helper, who told me that she did not like Brussels Sprouts. No surprise there. She helped me prepare them and tasted the roasted sprouts. That weekend she prepared roasted sprouts for her family and all enjoyed.

I have never had desire or opportunity to do okra.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

@Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 not a huge fan of cauliflower but lightly boiled and salted broccoli and/or cauliflower are pretty good. Broccoli Rabe or Broccolini is another good one. Brussels sprouts are delicious when done properly; sautéed with a bit of sesame oil, some garlic and a piece of bacon then drizzle with balsamic. My wife taught me that one too. Mmmmm :wub:

I stand by my earlier statement that eggplant is gross no matter how ya cook it. :lol:

Cut Brussel Sprouts in half.

Small cube a Parsnip.

Saute in olive oil, high heat! Short time.

Season with sesame oil, salt, fresh crushed black pepper. But first bloom some garlic.

Best with a white wine. And a Filet Mignon. Cooked similarly. (tis, trust me a white wine not a red). The vegetable carries a peppery note which should not be drowned.

Fresh greens with Blue Cheese dressing works well with all of this, a Chocolate/Raspberry dessert will continue the pleasure to the bottom of the shared bottle.

Edited by John Kloehr