SASS Wire Forum

Alaska Airlines

17 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It wasn’t a door.

Probably should have been! Since that was the original fuselage design. Coulda just left it closed and locked. Even with seats there,you never know when it might be needed.

I worked 40 years as an aerospace engineer. I worked on programs where Boeing was our subcontractor and we were Boeing subcontractor. The one thing that always bothered me was the arrogance of their people I dealt with. their attitude was no one knew better than they did , because no built better  (and more) BIG AIRPLANES THAN THEM. They were our major subcontractor on the B-2 Stealth Bomber program and they people just gave me fits with their attitude. I got to the point where my answer to them when they had excuses on why their quality and schedule did not meet out standards was "I don't give a damn about your excuses, just go fix it and shut up"!

They have obviously got some problems on their assembly line that needs fixing....just go do it!

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I worked 40 years as an aerospace engineer. I worked on programs where Boeing was our subcontractor and we were Boeing subcontractor. The one thing that always bothered me was the arrogance of their people I dealt with. their attitude was no one knew better than they did , because no built better  (and more) BIG AIRPLANES THAN THEM. They were our major subcontractor on the B-2 Stealth Bomber program and they people just gave me fits with their attitude. I got to the point where my answer to them when they had excuses on why their quality and schedule did not meet out standards was "I don't give a damn about your excuses, just go fix it and shut up"!

They have obviously got some problems on their assembly line that needs fixing....just go do it!

I worked for Goodyear Aerospace in the wheel and brake side for a while, Never saw any Boeing wheels, asked why. Was told Boeing thought they knew more than any body so Goodyear didn't want to business with them.

• Like 1

That sort of arrogance can get people killed. Or at the least, the shirt sucked off your back!

Arrogance and "we know it all" attitude in the aerospace industry and elsewhere has gotten more people killed than engineering mistakes! I recall an incident that, fortunately, did NOT get anyone hurt, but could have. We were testing the strength of the forward deck fittings that held the Shuttle booster recovery parachutes. I was sent to the lab to observe. The test risers were stretched from the deck fittings up over a pulley that was welded to an I beam on the ceiling of the lab, then the risers went back down to the floor where they were being pulled by hydraulic mechanism.  I remarked that I thought the pulley was only held up by linear welds from the pulley bracket to the I-beam, might not be strong enough under the 100K load. I was laughed at, and told to go up to the observation room. Several people of the test group had just left the floor area, when the pulley bracket welds broke and pealed away, sending the pulley like from a slingshot right through the metal stairs near the floor!  I was suddenly recalled from observing the tests, and another young engineer assigned to observe further testing (after they re-attached the pulley). Guess they didn't like me being right! :angry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Arrogance and "we know it all" attitude in the aerospace industry and elsewhere has gotten more people killed than engineering mistakes! I recall an incident that, fortunately, did NOT get anyone hurt, but could have. We were testing the strength of the forward deck fittings that held the Shuttle booster recovery parachutes. I was sent to the lab to observe. The test risers were stretched from the deck fittings up over a pulley that was welded to an I beam on the ceiling of the lab, then the risers went back down to the floor where they were being pulled by hydraulic mechanism.  I remarked that I thought the pulley was only held up by linear welds from the pulley bracket to the I-beam, might not be strong enough under the 100K load. I was laughed at, and told to go up to the observation room. Several people of the test group had just left the floor area, when the pulley bracket welds broke and pealed away, sending the pulley like from a slingshot right through the metal stairs near the floor!  I was suddenly recalled from observing the tests, and another young engineer assigned to observe further testing (after they re-attached the pulley). Guess they didn't like me being right! :angry:

Know it all attitude and arrogance is what got the Challenger crew killed. NASA knew about the outside temperature launch limitations and launched anyway when the outside temperature was below the "No Launch" limitations. The "O" rings got too brittle and broke causing the SRB blowout and subsequent explosion.

15 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

I don't care how much the FAA clears the 737-900 series, until Boeing gets their act together on the production line as well as their space stuff, I'm flying Air Bus! 

Not me, I’m driving!! :lol:

• Like 2

The interesting part:

My grandson was scheduled to be on that flight.
The seat that lost the door was his assigned seat.

He missed the flight.
"Room for one more?"

--Rod Serling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t fly anymore.  The last flight I was on was from Phoenix to Houston.  We were told to turn off all cell phones during takeoff and landing.  I shut mine down and stuck it in my shirt pocket.  (I usually follow the rules and directions when I am told to.)

I had checked all my baggage and had sent my firearms home by truck.

On takeoff, this young dweeb in a seat across the aisle had his phone out, on, and was video recording the takeoff.  By the time the flight attendants were up and about, he had switched off the camera and was playing a game or something.

As we approached Houston, the instructions were given again. I caught one of the attendants and told her that he had videoed the takeoff. The dweeb threw a minor hissy fit.  

I looked at him and said to the attendant that I was required to relinquish my guns, he had better NOT be allowed to record the landing.

She admonished the guy and he was UNHAPPY!!  

I always hated flying commercial…

• Like 4

i dont get why -- if its not a needed door - it was still there to be secured at all , if it is a door why not all the regular hardware ? they built a bunch of them with an opening thats not a door ? yet under pressure it serves as an exit ? XXX ?

I don’t know much at all about the airline industry but isn’t there some blame on the maintenance crew at the airports? Don’t they check the planes before they go out? It seems to me it’s not all Boeings fault. 
Car dealerships check out cars before you drive them off. Same thing no??

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

…Car dealerships check out cars before you drive them off. Same thing no??

My current car I bought used.  Dealer showed me the multi page document of all the “Certified” check items that had been performed on the car.  I pointed out several things on the car that were contrary to what they had reported in their document.

Edited by Matthew Duncan
Correct autocorrect
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

My current car I bought used.  Dealer showed me the multi page document of all the “Certified” check items that had been performed on the car.  I pointed out several things on the car that were contrary to what they had reported in their document.

Crazy! That's never happened to me. Maybe you better get a better dealer!:P:lol:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t know much at all about the airline industry but isn’t there some blame on the maintenance crew at the airports? Don’t they check the planes before they go out? It seems to me it’s not all Boeings fault. 
Car dealerships check out cars before you drive them off. Same thing no??

The Boeing situation is a structural build sequence during the assembly line process. A similar situation in an automobile assembly process would be not torqueing the main hood, deck lid or door hinge bolts. Definately not something a dealer would inspect before the car is delivered. Not really a comparable situation.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The Boeing situation is a structural build sequence during the assembly line process. A similar situation in an automobile assembly process would be not torqueing the main hood, deck lid or door hinge bolts. Definately not something a dealer would inspect before the car is delivered. Not really a comparable situation.

Okay thanks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Crazy! That's never happened to me. Maybe you better get a better dealer!:P:lol:

I worked at a dealer for a year and Mathew is right:(. Ask to see the RO for the vehicle. They probably won't let you see it, but if they do, you'll see what the tech really did! Not nearly what the sales people tell you. It's amazing what they cover up, especially oil leaks. Amazing what a few cans of brake clean will do for a grimy engine and leaking shocks. A quick run on a brake lathe saves replacing worn pads and rotors. A little spray foam and paint fix up rot quick too. Not to mention what a new odometer from the salvage yard  does for mileage. On and on:angry:.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I worked at a dealer for a year and Mathew is right:(. Ask to see the RO for the vehicle. They probably won't let you see it, but if they do, you'll see what the tech really did! Not nearly what the sales people tell you. It's amazing what they cover up, especially oil leaks. Amazing what a few cans of brake clean will do for a grimy engine and leaking shocks. A quick run on a brake lathe saves replacing worn pads and rotors. A little spray foam and paint fix up rot quick too. Not to mention what a new odometer from the salvage yard  does for mileage. On and on:angry:.

I get it but my situation was a little different since I knew the salesman and the owner. I could trust them. I’ve been dealing with them for 20 years. In fact the salesman is a cowboy shooter and the one that got me into it. 
I still don’t think they covered up stuff because of who they are. Just my opinion. Some of the salespeople and mechanics came to the range that I worked at part time. I got to know them very well. Not all car people are out to screw the public! 

• Thanks 2

All the above is indicative of a malaise affecting a great deal of workers:  they just don't give a shit.

They make jokes that 50% of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class, but are still called "doctor".

We have had a few that were so incompetent they were better qualified to be sealing wax inspectors.

My son-in-law and his partner are in the trades and finding this attitude in the young labor they attempt to hire.
Incompetent from the word "go" with a give-a-shit attitude.

When we were renovating the San Diego house, I had to kiss a lot of frogs before I found a prince.
Most just want to show up long enough to get paid, buy a bottle and go surfing.

Edited by bgavin
otter kurrect occurred
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

All the above is indicative of a malaise affecting a great deal of workers:  they just don't give a shit.

They make jokes that 50% of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class, but are still called "doctor".

We have had a few that were so incompetent they were better qualified to be sealing wax inspectors.

My son-in-law and his partner are in the trades and finding this attitude in the young labor they attempt to hire.
Incompetent from the word "go" with a give-a-shit attitude.

When we were renovating the San Diego house, I had to kiss a lot of frogs before I found a prince.
Most just want to show up long enough to get paid, buy a bottle and go surfing.

Unfortunately, I believe you're right. Seemed to get it's beginning in the late 80's.:angry:

14 hours ago, watab kid said:

i dont get why -- if its not a needed door - it was still there to be secured at all , if it is a door why not all the regular hardware ? they built a bunch of them with an opening thats not a door ? yet under pressure it serves as an exit ? XXX ?

It was never meant to be opened all, even as an emergency exit. The reason the opening is there is that in some configurations of the plane, an emergency exit would be installed instead of the plug. 

• Like 2

The thing that really bothers me is that a quality control inspector should have inspected the job when it was complete. The sequence of operations is :

Mechanic logs into that particular job with man # or an id that can be traced back to who did the job. This is done in case there is any question about the mechanics ability to do the job (eg his training, certifications, etc)

Mechanic gets the parts called out per job instructions (nuts, bolts, washers, etc)

Mechanic get tools necessary (torque wrench, etc)

Mechanic follows job instructions and when complete calls for quality control inspection.

Inspector checks calibration on tools, checks torque on bolts and checks that all the sequences are done properly and per specifications.

Inspector "buys " job as complete per spec. If not a discrepancy is written to correct any errors. 

This is the sequence of how a operation is completed and verified used in the aerospace industry, no matter what the product is or who is doing the work.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It was never meant to be opened all, even as an emergency exit. The reason the opening is there is that in some configurations of the plane, an emergency exit would be installed instead of the plug. 

thank you , that makes sense but not plugging it properly does not , 

• Like 1