SASS Wire Forum

SKB "Speed Lever".... Who has experience with one ???

Old Age, Old Broken Bones and recent Heart Attacks are starting to catch up with Me......

My SKB's have both been "slicked up" including smoothing and lightening the Top Barrel Release Levers on both of em.

They use to be a Breeze to open em up..... No More!

I can barely make the lever move any longer without dropping the SxS from my shoulder and pressing hard on the lever.

Doc Sez It will take at least a Year for me to gain back the strength I lost from a heart attack 5 months ago...

But I'd still like to make opening up my Shotgun a little easier !

Sooooo..... Anyone have experience with the Heartless Speed Lever???

I know Mayhem's Mercantile sells em on the Merchant Corner......  I sent em an email, no reply yet....

Anyone else make them or have them for sale ???

But for now, Who has used one?

And do they make it easier to open the gun?

Had any Issues?

Any helpful input will be Appreciated.  ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Doc..... I ASSUME one of the reasons you like it is because it takes less thumb strength to Open the Gun ??

For those that aren't familiar, Here's a Pic.... image0.jpeg.6f8e52f455f7897968babbba534c34cd.thumb.jpeg.0ee695e144bf6c385340b145ef79890e.jpeg

• Thanks 1

No it doesn’t make it easier your thumb is on the lever immediately so it opens sooner. If you want to open easier I would send to reputable gunsmith such as Fast Eddie or Doc Noper. 

• Thanks 1

That's helpful.... Thanks!

Both mine have already been lightened up pretty close to the Max....... And I've tried "Bent" levers too.

My thinking on the "speed lever" It's bent a little more than a standard lever is usually bent.....

Plus it's bent back where it meets the thumb.

It appears to maintain the same Overall Length as a straight  stock lever.

Where a stock bent lever will loose a slight amount of overall length.... Thus slightly less leverage.

So in theory it appears give you the exact same Overall Length and Leverage as a Stock Lever

while placing the Lever in a better thumb position for opening the gun...... Anywho, That's what I'm hoping for.

As Archimedes said... "With a long enough Lever you could lift the World"

But as PaleWolf sez.... It wouldn't be Legal :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I will take you up on that Al.... Thanks!!

I can't say that it lessens the amount of force it takes to open the action.  Your thumb just has less distance to travel to do it. 

10 hours ago, Jack Spade said:

Your thumb just has less distance to travel to do it. 

I think no. Only the positions of the beginning and end of the path change.

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

How IS this SASS legal? Doesn't follow the original contour, same as the 3D printed grip some pard asked about.

Hmmm

Bending that lever has been a SASS-legal modification for many years.

Shotgun Break Action

- The top opening lever on break action shotguns may be bent (re-profiled) by no more than ½" from the center of the tang to the outside edge of the lever.

SHB p.39

The manufacturer of the one in question submitted his design for ROC approval just to make certain that it was legal for SASS use.

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
edit txt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had the levers bent on both of my SKBs.  In addition to reducing the distance your thumb has to travel to get to the lever, this mod also puts your thumb into a mechanically stronger position to open the lever.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I will take you up on that Al.... Thanks!!

But Sam, if you like it, you may have to buy 2 or 3.  That was my philosophy ($$$). And, what if Sassy liked them. OOOOOOOOOOOOOO  MY:(

Let me know if you like it and just how many you want me to get you at EOT.  Ray Heartles and Mad Cat With a Gun(spouse)  are both signed up to be there.

bb

• Like 2

Just now, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

But Sam, if you like it, you may have to buy 2 or 3.  That was my philosophy ($$$). And, what if Sassy liked them. OOOOOOOOOOOOOO  MY:(

Let me know if you like it and just how many you want me to get you at EOT.  Ray Heartles and Mad Cat With a Gun(spouse)  are both signed up to be there.

bb

And Ray Heartless has generously donated one of these levers, as well as a pair of his slip-on sights for the EOT shooter's prize raffle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

And Ray Heartless has generously donated one of these levers, as well as a pair of his slip-on sights for the EOT shooter's prize raffle.

They are certainly  kind and supportive to SASS clubs.  They shot Texas 10horns match on the way to Land Run in October and generously donated to club.  President Hairtrigger Hayes was lucky winner in the "rigged" drawing. :D

The whole family was enjoyable to have.  Finally someone bet Rusty Remington.:huh:

• Haha 3

I have one, it was an easy drop in fit.  Works great.  Just be ready to be surprised how quickly it will open and how little thumb movement is needed.  

And yes you will want one for each of your SKB’s.  

• Like 1

I put a set screw in mine to keep the lever over to the right. Very little movement to open it. Also, eliminates any stickiness in the lever and if the gun wears, you can adjust it. It's made a big difference for me.

Lever position.jpg

Set Screw.JPG

• Sad 2

I can see how that would certainly shorten the amount of movement needed to Open the Gun.....

But, I sure hope you don't shoot anything but super light loads in it.... Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:35 PM, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

As Archimedes said... "With a long enough Lever you could lift the World"

But as PaleWolf sez.... It wouldn't be Legal :D

and PaleWolf overrides and trumps Archimedes. LOL

TM

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tarheel Doc said:

It is very easy. Unscrew the screw securing the lever and replace it with the new lever and screw.  It comes with detailed instructions if needed.

It's not that easy on all SKB's! It wasn't even close to fitting my SKB it took me about an hour and a half to fit that thing to my SKB, SKB's are hand fit at the factory so don't be surprised if you have to do some fitting or a lot of fitting! V.D. 

On 1/24/2024 at 3:01 PM, Tarheel Doc said:

I have them on two skbs and they dropped right in. Both were 200e

If you flipped a coin and came up "Heads" both times...would that mean the coin doesn't have a "Tails" side?

I hate Probability and Statistics...

Phantom

On 1/23/2024 at 7:55 PM, Yank_MaChain said:

I put a set screw in mine to keep the lever over to the right. Very little movement to open it. Also, eliminates any stickiness in the lever and if the gun wears, you can adjust it. It's made a big difference for me.

Lever position.jpg

Set Screw.JPG

I have concerns about this type of tuning. 1. The locking is no longer complete, 2. The threaded hole massively weakens the barrel hook. 

• Like 2

I agree Lassy.... I would Highly NOT Recommend this mod to anyone !

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:55 AM, Yank_MaChain said:

Lever position.jpg

Set Screw.JPG

I wouldn't shoot it, even with lite loads a WAA lite load has almost 6000 PSI chamber pressure when its fired! V.D.

I ordered One from Mayhem's .... It showed up yesterday....

It Is the same length as the stock lever, but it puts my thumb in a better position for opening the gun.

It does not change anything relating to opening the gun but the position of the lever to your thumb....... and it looks sorta cool.

I still went into the gun and lightened the spring a smidgen more.

Bottom line for me is It made just enough difference to allow me to open the gun....... So I'm Happy!

Now I just hope my Doc is correct that if I keep up on my rehab I should get most of my strength back in another 6 months or so........

Life does throw some interesting curve balls at'cha from time to time............... :lol:

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

I ordered One from Mayhem's .... It showed up yesterday....

It Is the same length as the stock lever, but it puts my thumb in a better position for opening the gun.

It does not change anything relating to opening the gun but the position of the lever to your thumb....... and it looks sorta cool.

I still went into the gun and lightened the spring a smidgen more.

Bottom line for me is It made just enough difference to allow me to open the gun....... So I'm Happy!

Now I just hope my Doc is correct that if I keep up on my rehab I should get most of my strength back in another 6 months or so........

Life does throw some interesting curve balls at'cha from time to time............... :lol:

Good deal.

Interesting curves indeed.....lever and life.