SASS Wire Forum

Truck Vault

I have been thinking about getting a truck vault system.  I was wondering how many folks have a gun storage system  like Truck Vault in their vehicle?  What do you like and dislike about it?  Do you keep your guns stored in the truck vault when you go to a hotel during a big shoot?  

Does anyone know of one for sale?

Thanks for the feedback

Tennessee Snuffy

I put in a Weather Guard Pack Rat box.

They are strong and sturdy. Had good luck with one in the past.

SO that's what I went with. 

They are pretty strong. 

And waterproof. 

Edited by Anvil Al #59168

Truck vault is a great product.  Have had one since 2018.

Pros:

Secure (I have the Kaba Simplex combination locks - these are the same as I've seen used in certain military applications.

The locks were easy to change the combination.

Cons:

Vehicle specific.  The "body" of most are ~48"x64", meaning it will fit between the wheel-wells of most short-bed trucks.  You can order them for long-beds as well.  There are "wings" that come off the sides of the body to create a completely flat deck.  The wings have magnetic latches that hold them in place, yet still allow for some unsecure, yet out of sight, storage to the sides of the box.  If you change to another make/model vehicle, or possibly even another year model of the same vehicle, the wings will no longer work as the interior of beds change.  Mine does not currently have the wings attached, but my current truck has a camper shell with no windows.

Not waterproof.  The standard Truck Vaut is not waterproof and is designed to be mounted inside an enclosed location.  For a pick-up, that means either a tonneau cover or camper shell.  They do make an Extreme Series All-Weather TruckVault, which they say under most circumstances is waterproof.  My last truck had a camper shell with dark tinted windows and it was very difficult to tell there was anything other than a flat bed inside the camper shell.

Takes up space between the top of the Truck Vault and the bottom of the tonneau cover/camper shell.  Figure about 12", or the height of the fender wells.

Heavy.  If you had to pull it out of the bed, it's a minimum two-person job.  Also, it will beat into your payload.  Maybe not much, but you need to figure out how much payload you have.  The Truck Vaults weigh between 130-265 pounds.

I believe this is one of the best investments I have made for travelling.  I have travelled from the MS Gulf coast to AZ, TX, PA, VA, SD and WY on vacations as well as semi-locally to LA, AL and FL.  A suitcase for the wife and I, which we kept in the back seat of the truck, is all we took into the hotel room.  Never even opened the camper shell except at matches.

There are two drawer heights - 5.625" and 10.125".  I have the 5" drawers and have not had an issue carrying everything I need (firearms, ammunition and leather for two people for a 12-stage match, plus side matches and warmups.  Our leather stays in the vault unless we are going on a trip somewhere that we won't be using the leather and would rather have extra secure storage.

I have also heard good things about the Decked system but I've never seen one in person to provide a comparison.

You can sometimes find like-new/demo models of various Truck Vaults on their outlet sight.

I had a console vault before IL had concealed carry and kept my gun there.  Now I don't see the point - the gun is always on me, and when I am not in the truck, it's also not in the truck.  I set up a "gun case" in the under-rear seat storage bin in my new truck - but that's just to store the guns on the way to the range.  when I am at the big shoot - guns are coming to the hotel room.

Edited by Last Call Saul

Here’s  a few that I’ve built, if you’re handy with woodworking they aren’t that difficult, just heavy and hard to handle. I installed Kaba Ilco locks on them and some other security features that I won’t mention here. I used heavy duty, full extension, ball bearing drawer slides and covered the vaults in Herculiner so they look pretty much like the bed of the truck when someone looks in. 

IMG_8664.jpeg

IMG_8663.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8668.jpeg

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

IMG_0709.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

• Like 7

I remember someone going to Winter Range and left all their guns and gear locked in bed vault and parked under a security light....someone stole truck and all.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

I remember someone going to Winter Range and left all their guns and gear locked in bed vault and parked under a security light....someone stole truck and all.

So we shouldn't drive trucks?  Or not go to Winter Range? Or?????

If a thief wants something, they'll take it.  One has to take considerable caution, especially as a competitor at major events that are advertised nationally. 

My goal is to make it as inconvenient as possible.

To some, that means carrying everything inside a hotel room.  I'd much rather keep my stuff locked in a TruckVault in the bed of a truck than carrying it inside a hotel room and leaving the room unattended.

• Like 3

ive wanted one but i often sleep in my SUV so i dont want to loose the space , also concerned about humidity issues id want to leave them in there for extended weekends for shoots  

I like the gun vault only thing I would do differently is get waterproof one. Found out truck cap leaks. So put rubber backed comercial rugs hung over edge, also help when you open tail gate you dont see locks.

Also get a very good alarm system that goes to your phone with locator just in case. 

9 hours ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Have worried about that.

Thought about putting in a hidden kill switch.  

I used one for years traveling and shooting Skeet Tournaments. I put my gun in it and went to the club for some practice and it wouldn’t unlock. Drove to the Safe and Lock company in town, they couldn’t open it. I tried it every day and then one day it just unlocked when I tried it. I took the drawer out and opened the mechanism and a cotter pin had fell out. About 6 months later it failed to open again. Never trusted that safe again and removed it. 

It gives added feeling of security. Mine has been in two different trucks, both with shells with no windows. Currently it's mounted on a cargo glide so the entire vault comes out. I did this to have dead space under the vault so I can use the tailgate to work on guns, yet still open the drawers.

We've stayed in hotels with the guns locked up. I feel comfortable in knowing people can't see what is in the bed, if the vault was visible, I wouldn't feel comfortable. 

Cons, they take up a lot of space, however I can still sleep in the bed if needed.

Tully

image.png.a7f6b146fcc6202fa8cdcaf7622d4239.png

image.png.f7cb1bf9f1624aea393f0cc9d1a1b6f5.png

Edited by Tully Mars

now that i might do - when i get a trailer , no room in my wifes motor home for it [and she would fill it with grandkid crap] , but if i get a camper trailer im all in 

I have a hard tonneau cover on my truck. Currently carry my guns in cases in the bed, can’t be seen. I hung a <$20 motion alarm on the bed topper. If someone opens it it will go off. I prefer hotels where I can park by my room door, I would hear the alarm. 
I also put an AirTag in the truck,if stole the whole truck I could find it. 

• Like 1

I have a vault built by Better Built (no longer made), it's half the width of my truck bed because I was afraid as I got older I wouldn't be able to list my gun cart over a full width one. I added a cargo slide when I changed trucks, It works well for me. I leave my guns locked in it at shoots.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:37 PM, Chief Rick said:

If a thief wants something, they'll take it.  One has to take considerable caution, especially as a competitor at major events that are advertised nationally. 

To some, that means carrying everything inside a hotel room.  I'd much rather keep my stuff locked in a TruckVault in the bed of a truck than carrying it inside a hotel room and leaving the room unattended.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:37 PM, Chief Rick said:

How about sleeping in the truck.  I used to sleep in mine.  Air mattress, electric heater, all the conveniences except a toilet, shower, and hot tub.  After my wife died I sold my whole rig and stopped traveling altogether, but it worked for a dozen years.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

How about sleeping in the truck.  I used to sleep in mine.  Air mattress, electric heater, all the conveniences except a toilet, shower, and hot tub.  After my wife died I sold my whole rig and stopped traveling altogether, but it worked for a dozen years.

Next best thing - stay in a camper on the range.

I still use a TruckVault.