SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use or participate in the Amazon “Shop With Points” Program?

Pat Riot

I just got an email from Amazon about trying their “Shop With Points” program. The email stated that one of my credit cards could be eligible for their program.

Have any of you used this program and if so what’s your opinion of it?

5 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Hell, I don't shop with pants, let alone points! 

Ha! I just went back up to my post to see if I or Otto typed “pants” instead of points. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Hell, I don't shop with pants, let alone points!

Even it was Walmart, I'd recommend shopping with pants.:lol:

You said one of your credit cards. Discover card gives you cash back. They give you rewards points.

And if you buy something at Amazon using your discover card, you can also use your rewards points.

Let's say that I have $20 worth of rewards points, and I have made a order of $37, because if it's $35 or more there's free shipping. So my order is $37, and I'm going to pay for it with my discover card. Amazon asked me if I would like to use my $20 worth of reward points. If I do, that $37 order only cost me $17.

Now if I wish to use my Visa card, I cannot use my discover points.

But I have been using the discover point at Amazon for five or six years, at least.

I buy something using my discover card, and they give me money. Between a quarter of 1% and 5% back. And it adds up in my account as rewards points. I can get them to send me a check, or I can use my rewards points to pay on my credit card statement, or I can use my rewards points for buying stuff from "discover partners", but for the last several years I've just been using it at Amazon.

no , im not into any rewards and such programs , ive always felt items should be offered at the best price possible to let buyer get a good deal and seller get a fair price , if you gotta give backside incentives your overcharging and i think twice as to my need to buy , i still buy if i need it , but i dont take advantage of the gimmie points 

The Amazon Pay With Points program is not in lieu of your cards rewards program.  What it does is give you points for purchases made on Amazon that can only be used for future amazon purchases. Any reward points that your cards gives you are separate from the Amazon program.

Read the fine print in the agreement, By signing up you agree to allow Amazon and your Credit Card company to exchange info about your purchases. 

I use it and have had no issues with it.

I rarely use Amazon, I prefer to go to brick and mortar stores. I get cash back on my Discover and also on a Capital One card. 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Read the fine print in the agreement, By signing up you agree to allow Amazon and your Credit Card company to exchange info about your purchases. 

Thank you. 

This is the part I wasn’t aware of. I do not like credit card companies tracking what I buy because of the BS of the card not working at gun stores but when you call them they pretend it was “just an error, probably on the vendor side”. That has happened to me more than once. Those 2 cards sit in a drawer and do not get used. Eventually they will cancel the card due to inactivity without impacting my credit rating. 

I just went in Amazon to read the details of this program. The card is an airline sponsored card that gives me miles. If I use this card and get points on Amazon the mileage points I get would be used as Amazon points. The reason we have this card is to get the mileage points for trips. For example, our trip to CA in a couple of weeks cost us $22 out of pocket. The tickets were paid for with points. 

Thank you all for your feedback. 

I am declining Amazon’s offer. 

On 12/6/2023 at 4:03 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I rarely use Amazon, I prefer to go to brick and mortar stores. I get cash back on my Discover and also on a Capital One card. 

So do I but so damn few stores carry most of what I want.

I just used my Amazon points for the first time.

Wranglers dress slacks....no cost. Scheduled to be delivered on the 9th.  Couldn't find any at all locally 

An electric fireplace (space heater with a bit more class): $147.00 list.  I paid $26.50 S&H, but nothing for the heater.  To be delivered a week from today.  Never saw one in real life.

One of my banks offers "rewards points" of 1.5% for every purchase (debit or credit)...including all "autopay" expenditures for utilities, memberships, and subscriptions.

Those points may either be cashed out or converted to gift cards (including Amazon).
I give the Amazon cards to a family member with an Amazon account and have her order whatever I "need".

I do it all the time.  When I took care of my parents, I had most of their bills paid via CC and then had the CC directly paid in full each month via bank ACH payment.

I linked the points to Amazon and used them to pay for the stuff they needed from Amazon.  Works flawlessly, and the best part was that if paid for with points, the collected sales tax of 6% here in MD was taken on a sale of $0.00.

You can earn points paying for all sorts of things, insurance, property taxes, etc and as long as you pay it off each month, you can earn a bunch of points.  You do need to watch as some purchases will hit you with transaction fees that will exceed the value of the points, but it works for us 

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

image.png

On 12/6/2023 at 7:57 AM, Pat Riot said:

Thank you. 

This is the part I wasn’t aware of. I do not like credit card companies tracking what I buy because of the BS of the card not working at gun stores but when you call them they pretend it was “just an error, probably on the vendor side”. That has happened to me more than once. Those 2 cards sit in a drawer and do not get used. Eventually they will cancel the card due to inactivity without impacting my credit rating. 

When I set up my business my “official” legal name is By Scarlett LLC. That way, the card company or your accountant don’t know what the money went for…:blush:

Hugs!

Scarlett

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

When I set up my business my “official” legal name is By Scarlett LLC. That way, the card company or your accountant don’t know what the money went for…:blush:

Hugs!

Scarlett

Nice. :)

My favorite gun store here is called ATR Performance. ATR stands for All Terrain Racing. When using a charge card there they come up as or are listed as a motorcycle shop. 

EDIT: I forgot to say that they used to be a dirt bike shop. 

Archived