SASS Wire Forum

Rock Polishing

Any lapidarists in our midst?  :rolleyes:

I know a family who has four little girls - ages about four to twelve.  With Christmas on the horizon, I had a thought about a "collective" gift for them - a tumbler type rock polisher, thinking it might be something they could enjoy together.  

With that, thoughts and advice on how to pursue this without breaking the bank would be welcome.  :)

This time of year tumble style polishers can be found at wally world, target and usually places like hobby lobby.

They are entry level science kits to encourage kids to explore geology.

Just pop rock tumbler into you googly thing

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Wrong Thread :P

No, it’s something for 4 little girls to do in their spare time…in Poland :lol:

Believe it or not I found that searching for “rock polisher meme”. :lol:

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I know a family who has four little girls - ages about four to twelve.  With Christmas on the horizon, I had a thought about a "collective" gift for them - a tumbler type rock polisher, thinking it might be something they could enjoy together.  

With that, thoughts and advice on how to pursue this without breaking the bank would be welcome.  :)

SDJ is right.  One gift will be something to fight over.  Take them and their mother to a mall.  Each picks what they want, limit $20 or whatever.  They will love Uncle Rocky forever.

Check out a Tumble Bee tumbler. If I remember correctly, they are made in the USA and are reasonably priced when compared to Lortone.

4 hours ago, bgavin said:

Fill the grand kids with See's Candy... buy 'em a drum set.... send 'em home.
Bag pipes are an option, but usually too pricey for this purpose.

You’ve gotta take out a second mortgage to buy any See’s candy now. What is it now, $40 a pound?

21 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Harbor Freight has a tumbler that is actually quite good and durable.  The media compounds can be found online pretty easily.  I have bought many products from Kingsley North.  They have good quality, but they can be pretty proud of some of their products, so shop the Internet.

Many good introductory kits are out there and most have at least a starter batch of the several media compounds.   

Be aware that rock tumbling might try a young kid's patience.  It usually takes 5 or 6 weeks to fully tumble rocks to high polish.  

If you dislike their parents, give them an expresso and a puppy!

We used to have a rock tumbler when I was a kid. It was fun to take river rocks and see what they became. 

We learned the differences between sandstones (crumbles to dust) and quartz (barely rounds the crystals’ corners).

The colors would often change in the polishing process, and we got to learn the “Why?” of that occurrence. 

I haven’t done it in years and have no advice towards equipment, but I think it’s a great gift idea. 

My wife is a rock hound.  Loves her agates.  I found a lapidary supply house, Kingsley North, that has all manner of tumblers, rocks, kits, polishing media, picks, hammers, etc.  I had to buy her, her own Thumblers Tumbler model "B", the big one, as she was eyeing up my brass tumbler.  We have one of those itty bitty toy tumblers we bought for the kids but it only holds a few rocks.  I bought her one of the Harbor Freight vibratory tumblers but it shook itself apart.  Lapidary, like CAS, if you really get into it is not a cheap hobby.  I've been keeping my eye out for a rock/tile saw I can use to cut rocks apart.  The grandkids do find it interesting.

Archived