SASS Wire Forum

Is your club being destroyed by feral hogs?

Most research has shown that hunting/shooting feral hogs is not an adequate population control measure. Hoggs are very smart. Any hunting pressure and the go nocturnal. Any gunshot that causes a pig to squeal send the rest of the sounder running. Traps are barely more effective. 
in surprised that some sort of piggy birth control pill has not been developed. 

16 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Apparently, the environmentalists have been talking with the Biden administration and have reached "some sort of secret agreement" on the "disastrous" 4 dams that are in the Washington/Oregon area that are harmful for the Salmon. Seeing that salmon jump up taller waterfalls than the salmon ladders they built to get around the dams I am not sure what the problem is. I am especially confused as to why the "environmentalists" want to remove a renewable form of energy that powers 9% of Washington state and will require the equivalent of 500,000 cars of fossil fuels to replace. Throw in all of the transportation of goods (including 10% of US wheat) that passes through the four dams and the Columbia River and you are talking far more fossil fuels.

Confused in America.

It helps to understand that the very large majority of them are quite ignorant about the environment and environmental systems. 
The leadership know, but helping the environment is NOT their goal.  The ultimate goals are  first the destruction of capitalism and then the destruction of all carbon based life - humans, animals, plants, etc.
Pray for people of the world to actually wake up.

34 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I have no idea about the use of poison by unlicensed individuals, or the use of Tannerite.  I would guess that using poison to kill wild pigs without proper training in its use and mitigation of undesired consequences (such as, for example, preventing any other animals from being killed by the poison) is a very bad idea, whether allowed or not, and I would also guess that using a sufficient amount of Tannerite to blow up a sounder of pigs could be a lot of fun, albeit very dangerous, too.  But these are just uneducated, uninformed guesses.

A little Google search can answer the question.

Hairsplitting...too funny.

Phantom

26 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Most research has shown that hunting/shooting feral hogs is not an adequate population control measure. Hoggs are very smart. Any hunting pressure and the go nocturnal. Any gunshot that causes a pig to squeal send the rest of the sounder running. Traps are barely more effective. 

An Evaluation of Contraceptive Viability in Wild Pig Management

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

My brother’s brother in law (my brother in law once removed?) has dogs with electronic collars that he uses to track and pin hogs. He tracks them in a tablet and when they catch the hog he moves in and stabs it to death. He invited me once but I passed. 

In Hawaii, one of the common "manhood" tests is hunting with a pack of dogs (sans electronic collar) to pin a hog so that you can dispatch it with a bowie knife up close and personal. They then cut of the head and take the skull with the sharp tusks (illegal to not take the entire body) back and show it off. Dogs frequently get hurt in the process. Never participated, but frequently saw them with the heads while hiking the mountains in Hawaii. 

30 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I hope they don't...the main reason I have my ranch in Texas is for pig/hog hunting...

Sorry you think that my desire to properly inform folks about hunting pigs/hogs in Texas was nothing but a Hairsplitting contest...I for one want to be precise and appreciate being made aware of any misinformation that I may have on a subject. But...looks like some on the Wire don't feel the same way.

Phantom

3 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

In Hawaii, one of the common "manhood" tests is hunting with a pack of dogs (sans electronic collar) to pin a hog so that you can dispatch it with a bowie knife up close and personal. They then cut of the head and take the skull with the sharp tusks (illegal to not take the entire body) back and show it off. Dogs frequently get hurt in the process. Never participated, but frequently saw them with the heads while hiking the mountains in Hawaii. 

They do that in a lot of places other than Hawaii...

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Traps are barely more effective. 

Not sure about that one. Anecdotally, I had a friend in college whose dad set up traps and they were able to catch about 60 a night for the first week (just shot them in the trap) and after a month they had pretty much taken care of their problem. Maybe pigs today are smarter than the previous generation, our kids aren't!

11 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Not sure about that one. Anecdotally, I had a friend in college whose dad set up traps and they were able to catch about 60 a night for the first week (just shot them in the trap) and after a month they had pretty much taken care of their problem. Maybe pigs today are smarter than the previous generation, our kids aren't!

Lol! Speak for yourself. My kids are miles ahead of where I was at their ages.

17 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

...You only need clean head shots on the ones you're going to butcher and eat; all the others can be gut-shot or wounded and go die someplace else for all I care -- in fact, I prefer that... 

This is what gives hunters a bad name, IMNSFHO.

25 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Reminds me of the Aggie joke

Aggue coed comes home from college station for Christmas. Their folks “I have good news and bad news”. 
“Bad news is I’m pregnant. Good news is I don’t think it’s mine” :P

52 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Notice that there are some pigs inside the trap and others outside the trap.  Those outside when the gates fall do get the idea that these traps are bad -- at least in the short run.

And I agree with Phantom's point about 250 lb dead hogs.  We can barely move the big ones.  We butcher sows for backstraps and maybe hams (if 100 lb or less beasts) right where they died, and leave them for the vultures, coyotes, other pigs (pigs are omnivorous and eat their dead family members), and maggots to consume.  A 100 lb. carcass is reduced to just a few bones in very short order out here.

AND we shoot pigs with the landowner's permission, and that landowner understands that the pigs may run for some distance before dying, and that's OK.  The landowner is grateful for our help; we do not get any sort of "bad name" whatsoever from exterminating another pig any way we can manage it.

8 hours ago, bgavin said:

Here in the PRK, most of the feral hogs attend Berkeley and major in Women's Studies.

And wear Birkenstocks and don’t shave their legs :o

14 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Need a spay and neuter program! :lol:

Definitely for the PRK hogs.

On 11/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

If there is a lot of thatch from brush hogging tall grass lying around and decomposing it attracts grubs and the grubs attract the hogs. They also love pecans and acorns.

Invasive feral hogs may have finally met their match. A study by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service reports that a poison made with with warfarin, a type of blood thinner, has shown to be effective in reducing feral hog numbers in the state and in turn preventing landowners' property and economic destruction, according to a recent news release. 

Poison is 'highly effective' in reducing feral hogs in Texas, study shows

Landowners who followed the correct steps in administering the poison reported drops in feral hog numbers. 

In my opinion,
poison is the only viable solution and if I’m not mistaken warfarin has been used extensively in Australia 

On 11/23/2023 at 5:24 PM, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

So ...

Warfarin-based pest control poisons have been around for a long time.  The problem with them, until the A&M development, has been that they accumulate in the flesh of the dead target animal and then kill every carrion eater as well, including Bald Eagles and every other creature.  It has taken years of work to find a delivery mechanism and form of Warfarin that avoids that problem, and the Aggies say they've succeeded where many have tried and failed.  We'll see ....

As to pigs being "smart" -- I'm sure they are just as smart as many people I've met, but the bar is very low.  We are shooting them in darkness -- the best blind out there.  They don't seem to notice us sitting 50 yards away, in reasonable cover.  But they scatter at the first shot at them, so having multiple shooters count down and shoot simultaneously at different pigs helps, as does shooting a semi-auto and shooting fast.  You only need clean head shots on the ones you're going to butcher and eat; all the others can be gut-shot or wounded and go die someplace else for all I care -- in fact, I prefer that.  

As far as other gunshots in the area scaring them off in general, our club is situated in an area where there is gunfire all day long and into the evening, whether by another nearby gun club or the friendly neighbors.  Our pigs are well accustomed to neighborhood gunfire and they don't give a you-know-what about it.

As for acorns -- have you been in the woods this fall?  The 2023 acorn mast in Texas is UNBELIEVABLE.

Record acorns this year in all of Georgia including the mountains

11 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Dogs are about the only sure fire way to break hogs routines.

12 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Like this?

my nephew in Oklahoma a few years ago. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

if squeamish don’t watch 

On 11/24/2023 at 12:04 PM, bgavin said:

Here in the PRK, most of the feral hogs attend Berkeley and major in Women's Studies.

Or, teach there......

Archived