SASS Wire Forum

Southeast Open Magnificent Seven question

Captain Bill Burt

I'm starting to lay the groundwork for the 2024 Magnificent Seven (already have several sponsorship commitments) and I have a couple of ideas I would like to throw out.

(1) What about a "All Around Cowboy/Girl" buckle.  Competitors would have to shoot at least three of the State matches as usual, but would need to shoot in a different shooting style, ie Gunfighter or Duelist or Traditional or Outlaw, pick three of the four. 

Thoughts?

(2) What about a "Iron Man" buckle.  Competitors would have to shoot GA, MS, TN, top shooter gets the buckle.  Those three matches are on consecutive weekends starting the third Saturday of May and ending the first Saturday of June.

Thoughts?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, runs with scissors said:

Captain,

Just my thoughts on the subject:

We already have sooo many categories in Sass.  I'm not sure we need any more.

However, my opinion is only worth what you paid for it! 

Scissors

This is a contest within contests.  It’s conducted over seven state matches and has nothing to do, directly, with any single match or with SASS other than that points are awarded over a sampling of the three best matches shot by those who participate in the series! These categories are for the Magnificent Seven series only!

The Magnificent Seven Contest was created to help promote participation in those seven state matches and to give the participants in the series incentive to maybe enter more matches!

Capt. BB! Thanks for doing it again!!

14 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thats a thought! I have a feeling we wouldn’t get more than a handful who could make all 7.

Maybe 5 out of 7?

14 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yes, unless I hear a total time suggestion that is fair considering some matches are ‘faster’ than others.

I think that's probably a redd herring when averaged over 3 matches.  (Using average stage time, not total match time, to account for a 12 stage match compared to a 10 stage match).  

Unless you are getting the rank score after eliminating all non-M7 shooters, the rank will always be inaccurate and dependent on the success or failure of others at each individual match, whereas time is purely your own.

The most fair way I can see to do it would be rank in category. Example, if you have 5,  Mag 7 in the Cowboy Category first place Cowboy will get 1 rank point, 2nd Cowboy would get 2 rank points etc.. It won't matter how many shooters in other categories are in the match. If you use rank amongst all Mag 7 shooter it would make a big difference between a match with 85 shooters and a match with 225 shooters.

Just my opinion.

Randy 

48 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

The most fair way I can see to do it would be rank in category. Example, if you have 5,  Mag 7 in the Cowboy Category first place Cowboy will get 1 rank point, 2nd Cowboy would get 2 rank points etc.. It won't matter how many shooters in other categories are in the match. If you use rank amongst all Mag 7 shooter it would make a big difference between a match with 85 shooters and a match with 225 shooters.

Just my opinion.

Randy 

Yep, that’s why attending Mississippi State last year made such a big difference in the final outcome…

I LOVE the All Around Cowboy Idea so much that I might just do it!

Oh, and you can count on @Bullets By Scarlett to sponsor again.

I’ll give a Ryder Shotshell sizer ($375 value) as a prize! Everyone who is entered into the Magnificent Seven is eligible to win it! How does that sound? 

Hugs!

Scarlett

When you get the apps ready, I can put it on my website, too! 

On 10/30/2023 at 5:40 PM, runs with scissors said:

Captain,

Just my thoughts on the subject:

We already have sooo many categories in Sass.  I'm not sure we need any more.

However, my opinion is only worth what you paid for it! 

Scissors

Just for clarity.  I'm not suggesting a new category, just a buckle for people who want to try shooting different categories.

On 10/30/2023 at 6:45 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

This is a contest within contests.  It’s conducted over seven state matches and has nothing to do, directly, with any single match or with SASS other than that points are awarded over a sampling of the three best matches shot by those who participate in the series! These categories are for the Magnificent Seven series only!

The Magnificent Seven Contest was created to help promote participation in those seven state matches and to give the participants in the series incentive to maybe enter more matches!

Capt. BB! Thanks for doing it again!!

Everyone, including me, seemed to enjoy it last year, so I'm happy to do it again this year.

13 hours ago, Fretless said:

Maybe 5 out of 7?

Perhaps.  I'm open to whichever option attracts the most participants.  As long as we get 5 people signed up for it we can get a buckle.

13 hours ago, Fretless said:

I think that's probably a redd herring when averaged over 3 matches.  (Using average stage time, not total match time, to account for a 12 stage match compared to a 10 stage match).  

Unless you are getting the rank score after eliminating all non-M7 shooters, the rank will always be inaccurate and dependent on the success or failure of others at each individual match, whereas time is purely your own.

My concern is that some matches are 'faster' than others.  I'm inclined to keep it the way it was last year, but I'm open to discussing it right up until I start taking money.  At that point we won't change anything.

11 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Just my opinion.

Randy 

My concern about ranking in category rather than overall ranking is that at a lightly attended match a person could get a '1' simply because they're the only person in their category shooting that match.  But, as I stated above, I welcome a discussion as I certainly don't have all the answers!

10 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I LOVE the All Around Cowboy Idea so much that I might just do it!

Oh, and you can count on @Bullets By Scarlett to sponsor again.

I’ll give a Ryder Shotshell sizer ($375 value) as a prize! Everyone who is entered into the Magnificent Seven is eligible to win it! How does that sound? 

Hugs!

Scarlett

When you get the apps ready, I can put it on my website, too! 

Scarlett, you're a treasure.  That's an incredibly generous prize and I'm grateful to you for offering it and for all you do to promote our game.  I'm hoping last year's sponsors will donate again this year and I'm waiting to hear about a fairly large sponsorship I solicited and that's currently under consideration.

Speaking of sponsors, I would like to send out a big thank you to @Tyrel Cody for offering to set up a website to host the Mag 7.  The address will be 

southeastopenmagnificentseven.com

It's not up yet, but will be shortly.  I'll post the rules, who's coming, last year's results, and anything else fun and relevant that comes to mind there.

5 minutes ago, Renegade Roper said:

What are the 7 matches involved?  Thx.

Florida

Alabama

Georgia

Mississippi

Kentucky

South Carolina

Tennessee 

On 10/30/2023 at 11:11 AM, Captain Bill Burt said:

(2) What about a "Iron Man" buckle.  Competitors would have to shoot GA, MS, TN, top shooter gets the buckle.  Those three matches are on consecutive weekends starting the third Saturday of May and ending the first Saturday of June.

I like this. 

I had fun participating in the first Magnificent 7 contest and look forward to doing it again!  The Iron Man thing sounds kind of fun...might get me to add another match to the rotation! 

3 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

The Iron Man thing sounds kind of fun...might get me to add another match to the rotation! 

That's the whole idea.  Get folks to attend more state matches in the Southeast.  I know I shot 2 additional state matches last year directly due to the M7 competition.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm bumping this back up hoping for feedback on the Iron Man and the All Around Cowboy idea.  The website is up with an updated application.  Sponsors are all back on board, plus some new ones.

Thanks to Scarlett (Bullets by Scarlett) for sponsoring with a Ryder Shotshell sizer, to Larry Paige (Paige Custom Knives) for sponsoring with a custom screwknife to Ron Bellamy (Buffalo's Wild West) for sponsoring the second place and to the clubs for each sponsoring a buckle.

I've never been a fan of "rank point" scoring. If someone plays their cards right and shoots only the smaller matches even though their overall times are slower than their M7 competitors who shoot the bigger matches they have a higher finishing position in that particular match so they can still win the M7 category. I don't know the answer to this dilema but I would welcome an alternative to rank point scoring.

I hope this makes sense.

It makes perfect sense and I’m open to changes. The decision we face is between rank points and the advantages that creates when going to more sparsely attended matches and total time and the advantages that creates when going to ‘faster’ matches.

I’m open to discussion and suggestions…

They're all different in their own way. Some are definitely different with harder matches, 12 stages, bad weather can affect things a lot like SC did. I have no answer. Just saying. I like total time best, but if participants don't shoot the same matches it isn't fair either. 

The whole idea behind the Magnificant 7 is to get people to attend more state matches in the Southeast.  The more matches you attend, the better your odds of winning your catagory.  If you only shoot 3 big matches, you probably won't do as well as you would have had you shot 3 of the lower attendance matches.  Of course, if you only shoot 3 matches and really screw one of them up, Stage DQ, then someone who shot more matches will have the advantage of throwing out the screw up match.  

I like that it is geared towards getting more people to attend more matches.  Especially the lesser attended matches.

3 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Outlaw?

I’ll see what the all around requirements are! I could do Outlaw, I suppose! :ph34r:

Hugs!

Scarlett

CAS has four shooting styles, All Around Cowboy will require competitors to select three of the four and shoot three State matches using those styles.

Choose from Traditional, Duelist, Gunfighter and Outlaw.

If I were going to compete in AAC I might go up to Kentucky and shoot outlaw since they have a bunch of those up there. Maybe shoot duelist with the infamous @Tennessee williams and @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 up in Tennessee and shoot traditional in Georgia.

35 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

CAS has four shooting styles, All Around Cowboy will require competitors to select three of the four and shoot three State matches using those styles.

Choose from Traditional, Duelist, Gunfighter and Outlaw.

If I were going to compete in AAC I might go up to Kentucky and shoot outlaw since they have a bunch of those up there. Maybe shoot duelist with the infamous @Tennessee williams and @Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 up in Tennessee and shoot traditional in Georgia.

Or you could be a gamer and compete in Duelist at one of the matches you knew no usual M7 duelists were going to compete in. That's why I'm kind of against the AAC.

Archived