SASS Wire Forum

Southeast Open Magnificent Seven question

Captain Bill Burt

10 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I still think Creeker is going to get a plane ticket around the 1st weekend in June. :D

With careful planning a shooter could fly in May 20th, shoot GA State, MS State and TN State then fly home June 7th. Three state matches in 18 days.

Alternatively they could fly in April 25th and shoot KY State, AL State and GA State then fly out May 19th. Three state matches in 24 days with time for a monthly on the 2nd weekend of May.

Ideally I would shoot all 7, but I’m not sure how far I want to push my company’s unlimited vacation policy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread re: time vs rank score.

It could be gamed either way. Here is a solution.

For each of the 7, you take your rank in that class at that match, and divide it by the number in that class at that match. 

You could use total participants in that class or just M7 participants in that class.

Here's a scenario:

Match 1 - you take 1st and the M7 participants there was 1.  1/1 = 1

Match 2 - you take 1st and the M7 participants was 5. 1/5 = .2

Match 3 - you take 3rd and the M7 participants was 3. 3/3 = 1

Your rank score is 2.2

This levels the playing field as we are using the number of participants to weight the rank score at each match.

Sorry, I work with metrics and KPIs for a living LOL.

1 hour ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

Interesting thread re: time vs rank score.

It could be gamed either way. Here is a solution.

For each of the 7, you take your rank in that class at that match, and divide it by the number in that class at that match. 

You could use total participants in that class or just M7 participants in that class.

Here's a scenario:

Match 1 - you take 1st and the M7 participants there was 1.  1/1 = 1

Match 2 - you take 1st and the M7 participants was 5. 1/5 = .2

Match 3 - you take 3rd and the M7 participants was 3. 3/3 = 1

Your rank score is 2.2

This levels the playing field as we are using the number of participants to weight the rank score at each match.

Sorry, I work with metrics and KPIs for a living LOL.

That doesn't fix anything.  It sounds great, but it makes attending a smaller match a disadvantage for an otherwise top shooter.  That potentially undermines the intent of the M7, which is to encourage more participation in these 7 matches.

On a side note, maybe I'm just missing something, but I can't understand why so much effort is being put into trying to make rank points work.  They work for NASCAR because every race has nearly the same participants.  That isn't the case for us.  For us time provides a stable base to compare to, so that the success of a shooter is not linked to the number of people that came out that day. 

The only argument against using time is the belief that some matches are faster than others.  We have no evidence to show that the difference is enough to skew the results of the M7, and we have a suggestion (par time) that should negate the effects of a faster match. 

We do know that last year's M7 rankings were skewed by the low attendance in Mississippi.  I don't think anybody is upset about that, but it does indicate that something different might be in order this year.

Archived