SASS Wire Forum

Is it really

Tyrel Cody

Nanner puddin’ if it ain’t got vanilla wafers?

Bed & breakfast we’re staying at served “Nanner puddin’” with breakfast, but there weren’t any vanilla wafers. Told the cook it was good but missing something. 

@Tennessee williams

what say you?

Gotta have the vanilla wafers...otherwise it's just puddin' with bananas in it.

Has anyone noticed that vanilla wafers, by themselves, don't taste the way they used to 20 years ago? It's like they forgot an ingredient or two.

1 minute ago, Cypress Sun said:

Has anyone noticed that vanilla wafers, by themselves, don't taste the way they used to 20 years ago? It's like the forgot an ingredient or two.

maybe, I’ll grab a box tomorrow and find out…

Nope, although I will grudgingly give a pass to graham crackers in their place.

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Has anyone noticed that vanilla wafers, by themselves, don't taste the way they used to 20 years ago? It's like the forgot an ingredient or two.

Cheaper substitutes for butter and vanilla. Probably something other than sugar, too.

11 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Absolutely, “Nanner puddin” is suitable for any meal. C’mon Pat you should know better.

You must hang out at some swanky places if they have Nanner Puddin’ for breakfast. :D

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

You must hang out at some swanky places if they have Nanner Puddin’ for breakfast. :D

Actually I’m on a mini vacation with my wife(our anniversary was Thursday) and “Nanner puddin” was on the menu. 

That said, when I was growing up it wasn’t unusual for my Granny to have Nanner puddin at the breakfast table or sometimes pie if there was leftover from Sunday dinner.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Has anyone noticed that vanilla wafers, by themselves, don't taste the way they used to 20 years ago? It's like they forgot an ingredient or two.

You don’t have the same taste buds either.

Must have vanilla wafers and baked meringue topping, otherwise  it is a banana  trifle and NOT banana  pudding. 

16 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

Must have vanilla wafers and baked meringue topping, otherwise  it is a banana  trifle and NOT banana  pudding. 

don’t tell anyone, but if it’s got meringue on it I scrape that off and throw it away…

Merengue is quite possibly the most blatant misuse of eggs to EVER come out of a kitchen!!

A final layer of ‘niller wafers is the proper way to top a ‘nanner puddin’!!

On 9/23/2023 at 5:59 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Nanner puddin’ if it ain’t got vanilla wafers?

Bed & breakfast we’re staying at served “Nanner puddin’” with breakfast, but there weren’t any vanilla wafers. Told the cook it was good but missing something. 

@Tennessee williams

what say you?

It is just banana pudding if it ain't got wafers. Real nanner puddin has wafers and slices of real bananas. 

TM

15 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

nilla wafers on the bottom , up the sided , and a layer on top 

if ya gotta add something else , real whipped cream 

CB 

My mom made it with wafers on the bottom, then a layer of pudding, then another layer of wafers and then pudding then topped with a mixture of wafers and sliced bananas. It was great.

TM

On 9/23/2023 at 9:56 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

Merengue is quite possibly the most blatant misuse of eggs to EVER come out of a kitchen!!

A final layer of ‘niller wafers is the proper way to top a ‘nanner puddin’!!

Except for on key lime pie!

7 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

You forget they are in the area that does Chocolate gravy on biscuits for breakfast :) 

Or pancakes, or eggs, or in grits, etc…

It’s good drizzled on Nanner puddin too!

9 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I know it's  a regional thing....but what is "chocolate gravy"?  (Other than unspeakably wrong?)

LL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_gravy

How could something so awesome be wrong?

18 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

You could not know how little I care about European Countries :)  Most of them could become New Chernobyl for all I care . 

Like it or not, most of our history, law, and tradition is based on European traditions.   

Of course, since chocolate came from the New World, and there is some evidence that a chocolate sauce and some form of corn cake/bread came from Mexico, through Texas, Spanish Louisiana, and up into the Tennessee Valley and Appalachia, you could make a case that chocolate and bread, or even grits, is an American food that made its way to Europe and was repatriated.

7 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Like it or not, most of our history, law, and tradition is based on European traditions.   

Of course, since chocolate came from the New World, and there is some evidence that a chocolate sauce and some form of corn cake/bread came from Mexico, through Texas, Spanish Louisiana, and up into the Tennessee Valley and Appalachia, you could make a case that chocolate and bread, or even grits, is an American food that made its way to Europe and was repatriated.

Well since a majority of Americans came from Europe that's being Captain Obvious , don't make me give a crap about an obvious statement . 

11 minutes ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

Well since a majority of Americans came from Europe that's being Captain Obvious , don't make me give a crap about an obvious statement . 

Exactly. So if you don't care about what's done in European countries you are saying that you don't care what's done in the US.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Chocolate in the grits??? 

OHHH, THE HUMANITY!!!!!

The only things that belong on grits is sausage grease (incidental contact- it came off of the sausage you chopped up and mixed into the grits), maybe, a runny egg yolk from an over easy fired egg (I don't like runny eggs) and butter.

Oh, and shrimp are acceptable, too.  The Cajuns found something good there.

15 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

The only things that belong on grits is sausage grease (incidental contact- it came off of the sausage you chopped up and mixed into the grits), maybe, a runny egg yolk from an over easy fired egg (I don't like runny eggs) and butter.

Oh, and shrimp are acceptable, too.  The Cajuns found something good there.

Butter and apple sauce are both acceptable also around this house.B)

Archived