SASS Wire Forum

First load of Firewood

Buckshot Bear

First load of firewood is here and we're breaking in the new fireplace with the first cool burn. 

Last one lasted 27 years before rusting out. Looking forward to Winter....its been a bloody long hot Summer.

20230323_103801.thumb.jpg.27d0d2504b4ddd4cc8ab3b7ffaa4a513.jpg

20230414_115809.thumb.jpg.0556804e7231de75b5504dc2db8f35df.jpg

We upgraded to a Vermont Casting stove a couple of years back. Weights about as much as a small block Chevy but really holds the heat. More efficient than the Blaze Queen it replaced.  I'm trying to bring in logs to process. I like to keep a year ahead under roof to dry. We had a good bit of wood carried over from last winter. 

FirewoodlogsApril2023.jpg.911270cda02b1484e32ba4f9ac63c5e2.jpg

Bad news, I have a Vermont Castings insert and BBQ grill.  Both excellent, but the company was sold and no parts available.  If I missed it and someone knows better, PLS let me know.  I have an unsafe grill sitting in the corner of the machine building that has been replaced, but is just too good to throw away.

My wife started a fire in ours this afternoon, I swear she’d have a fire in there on the 4th of July sometimes.

ABFDBA59-2B60-4189-9C7D-F4988B45FFCC.jpeg

1 minute ago, Yul Lose said:

My wife started a fire in ours this afternoon, I swear she’d have a fire in there on the 4th of July sometimes.

ABFDBA59-2B60-4189-9C7D-F4988B45FFCC.jpeg

Mine as well!  I can count on her wanting one any time I'm cooking a gourmet dinner.  Challenging.

40 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

We upgraded to a Vermont Casting stove a couple of years back. Weights about as much as a small block Chevy but really holds the heat. More efficient than the Blaze Queen it replaced.  I'm trying to bring in logs to process. I like to keep a year ahead under roof to dry. We had a good bit of wood carried over from last winter. 

They are UBER expensive down here -

https://hauscollective.com.au/product/vermont-castings-defiant-wood-stove/

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

First load of firewood is here and we're breaking in the new fireplace with the first cool burn. 

Last one lasted 27 years before rusting out. Looking forward to Winter....its been a bloody long hot Summer.

20230323_103801.thumb.jpg.27d0d2504b4ddd4cc8ab3b7ffaa4a513.jpg

20230414_115809.thumb.jpg.0556804e7231de75b5504dc2db8f35df.jpg

Be sure you don’t try to burn that canoe behind the pile! :D

Cylinderella saw the post so now I need to drag wood up, cut some like BuckShot Bear & get a fan for the top like his...Thanks BSB, I thought the project was done for now...:rolleyes:; BTW the house sat empty for 2+ years so lots of things to do.

This past week at the ranch we just bought, The Montgomery Ward Wood Stove needed some TLC - removed an cleaned glass inside / out - cleaned and corrected airflow in firebox & installed wood rack properly - straightened inside chimney pipe, cleaned flu & added new section above roof.  Finally restored ceiling tile from water leak stain then rewired circulation fan & connected the heat sensor. Everything's working great & you can even see the bark through the glass now. (pictures are not in order).

343410628_1425579848196845_4104809081899106346_n.jpg.d9a0079e674f8f30607b790504342d46.jpg343733555_910416213498522_3189195356288283279_n.jpg.9b322efe28c8fc2c93e971d0938af64f.jpg
343393097_956000105531362_8807456660661370009_n.jpg.40ad0a841e340891c7202ccc118f7cb7.jpg343417725_186358554325689_5560128138933473390_n.jpg.dffed91ea3d9500d0f4717f9c21972ba.jpg

40 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:
Cylinderella saw the post so now I need to drag wood up, cut some like BuckShot Bear & get a fan for the top like his...Thanks BSB, I thought the project was done for now...:rolleyes:; BTW the house sat empty for 2+ years so lots of things to do.

LOL :) ..... Last year was the first Winter that we had that fan and couldn't believe the difference it made pushing warmth through the house.

I have zero idea how it works, but as soon as its hot it starts up by itself.

34 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

LOL :) ..... Last year was the first Winter that we had that fan and couldn't believe the difference it made pushing warmth through the house.

We have 2 of them on ours, really moves the air.

12 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Between the base and the upper heat sink is a small device called a Thermo-Electric Generator (TEG) or Peltier. It generates a small voltage when there is a temperature differential between the top and bottom surface.

The voltage is 3 -5 volts and about 500 mA. Enough to run a small electric motor.

A similar device is a Thermo-Electric Cooler (TEC). If you run a voltage through it, one side will heat up and the other side will get cold. Its what makes those small 12 vdc coolers work. 

How Thermoelectric Generators Work

Thermoelectric generators (TEG) are solid-state semiconductor devices that convert a temperature difference and heat flow into a useful DC power source. Thermoelectric generator semiconductor devices utilize the Seebeck effect to generate voltage. This generated voltage drives electrical current and produces useful power at a load.

The snow of the this past winter just would not stop.  I went through 3 cords this winter and in a few weeks it will be time to replenish.  Nothing beats wood heat and the popping sounds of a warn stove on those cold windy nights.  But before the saw comes out, i'm taking a fly rod out! 

13 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Bad news, I have a Vermont Castings insert and BBQ grill.  Both excellent, but the company was sold and no parts available.  If I missed it and someone knows better, PLS let me know.  I have an unsafe grill sitting in the corner of the machine building that has been replaced, but is just too good to throw away.

Don't have clue if you can get parts here, but they are still going strong about an hour from my house. The stoves look like the Vigilante I had years ago.

https://www.vermontcastings.com/

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Damn, I miss my fireplace!  Just no practical way to put one in my house now, and I can't justify the expense to have one in Arizona for the two weeks a year when it's cold enough to use it.  :(

Don't know if they still make them but there used to be an alcohol fueled ventless fireplace that you just moved in like furniture and set against the wall.  Not the real thing but a whole lot better than nothing.

We had a hearth standing stove, but it consumed too much of our small space.
I replaced it with a gas insert.

I have a Whiskey Tango 20" box fan on the hearth aimed at the insert at a 45-degree angle.
This REALLY takes advantage of the insert heat and very quickly heats the entire room.

We have the living room draped off as we spend most of our time here.
The back of the house is set much lower, due to $500 natgas bill last month.

After more than 50 years of cutting and splitting wood to heat my house and boil maple syrup every spring I finally put in 12kw of solar and electric heat pumps, now I heat the house, my hot water and cool my beer all year long for $30 a month, I don’t make maple syrup any more which I kind of miss doing but I sure don’t miss cutting and splitting 8 to 10 cords of wood a year and scrambling up a standing seam roof to clean the chimney every fall, guess I got old and lazy 

We have an Avalon wood stove that we had installed when we moved in 30 years ago. We aren't in a snow area. It's all we use for heat. We used to go up and be able to cut firewood  but always ended up with a little oak and mostly soft woods. 

Finally the rest of the family gave up on that and went to pellet then gas stoves. I much prefer just buying a couple cords of good oak or almond and using it. I actually enjoy stacking it. I hate dealing with cheap pine or cedar other then for just getting the fire started. My firewood guy has for years now always had a great supply of oak and that's what Ive been getting. We did use a little more this year with all the rain we got in northern California. 

Archived