SASS Wire Forum

Gun Show

Hot and I had absolutely nothing to do so I went to the gun show this weekend, if for no other reason than to get some excercise.  If you go down all the aisles it is quite a distance.  Same old story.  Mostly black guns and Elvis plates but I did see primers and some powders in stock.  Winchester, Federals and CCI were available by the thousands with no limit on supply.  Here are the prices for the two favorites for CAS use.

IMG_2746.thumb.jpeg.26cfd885a4b7cf82d19d49caa9046902.jpeg

I "exercised" for several hours and just before I was ready to head to the car before I collasped I struck a deal with another old geezer for this ugly old beast.  This is a Savage Ring Trigger Navy (.36) revolver.   My goal is to pull the nipples and give it a complete going through and get it set up to shoot.  Got it home and got it apart.  Needs a new trigger spring (which I will have to make as there are no replacements) and the half cock was broken.  Other than that everything looks shootable.  I ran a brush down the bore and literally cleaned out some cobwebs.  After a little solvent the bore is bright and shiney for the first five inches.  However, the last one and one-half inches at the muzzle are dark and still rusty but should clean up into a very shootable bore.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.d48c3e0b9df383a8e0c00ece2ce224b5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

Elvis plates are a thing at gun shows? I had no idea, but it's been awhile since I've been to one...

Add jerky, eyeglass cleaners, kitchenware, tee shirts, cheap China knives, jewelry, gems, rocks, fossils, etc, etc. Anything to fill all of the tables.

14 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

WOW!!!!!  If you bought 5000 it would be $85.90 per 1000 for Federal Small Pistol Match Primers.   Midway is $125.99 per 1000 plus whatever fees. 

I’d guess someone bought a large inventory of primers to make a killing on.  As prices drop they decided they better reduce inventory before all profit margins disappear?

13 hours ago, Cholla said:

Add jerky, eyeglass cleaners, kitchenware, tee shirts, cheap China knives, jewelry, gems, rocks, fossils, etc, etc. Anything to fill all of the tables.

Don't forget the coins and gold...

14 hours ago, Navy Davey said:

Nice find ... Can I shoot it?

Now he doesn't have to go looking for someone the test fire it to make sure it works. LOL 

TM

And costume jewelry closeouts!

Neat looking pistol Larsen.  Looking forward to a post about how it shoots.

Haven't been to a gunshow in a coon's age.  Oops.  I mean a racoon's age.

What does it cost to get in and park?  Might be cheaper than hazmat charges;)

15 minutes ago, The Coconino Pistolero, SASS # 72432 said:

Neat looking pistol Larsen.  Looking forward to a post about how it shoots.

Haven't been to a gunshow in a coon's age.  Oops.  I mean a racoon's age.

What does it cost to get in and park?  Might be cheaper than hazmat charges;)

That is why I have not gone in a long time.  $10 to park and $18 to get in.  Once in it is mostly stuff I have zero interest in.

It's better at the Findley Center in Prescott Valley. $14 to get in and a dollar off if you have the coupon. No charge to park. I prefer the Cottonwood and Williams shows. The show at the Prescott Downs in PV never has the air-conditioning working so it's body odor and crop dusting every time.

Archived