SASS Wire Forum

Scammers?

Twelve Bore

Received this from Chetany in my messages.

hello are you still interested in getting this?. you can contact Frank he has a 45 colt caliber conversion kit for Dillon Sqaure Deal B for sale.......

I messaged back; Have a nice day scammer!  The message has disappeared from my inbox.

And this from Couture

Hello, i have 45 colt caliber conversion kit for Dillon Sqaure Deal B for sale . are you still interested?

I messaged back;  Yes still interested.

I have to ask because there are so many scammers! 

Please send a picture of what you have to sell along with a piece of paper with your user name and todays date in the picture.

No reply received!

Read full message

Here is something I post when I see one of our Cowboys posting a WTB add with there contact info in it.

It is a bad idea to put your email address or phone number in a WTB add.  Bad people surf web forums like ours looking for this.  Then they search the web and find a picture of what you are looking for and send it to you like they have it for sale.  Once you send the money you never hear from them again.  At least with a PM you stand a chance of knowing if they have a presence on the forum and can see how long they have been a member.  And if you receive a PM telling you that they have a friend that has just what you are looking for and here is a link to his email address check to see how many posts they have because if the only post they have is the PM they just sent to you, you can bet that they are out to steel your money.  Just my two cents.

1 hour ago, Twelve Bore said:

Received this from Chetany in my messages.

hello are you still interested in getting this?. you can contact Frank he has a 45 colt caliber conversion kit for Dillon Sqaure Deal B for sale.......

I messaged back; Have a nice day scammer!  The message has disappeared from my inbox.

And this from Couture

Hello, i have 45 colt caliber conversion kit for Dillon Sqaure Deal B for sale . are you still interested?

I messaged back;  Yes still interested.

I have to ask because there are so many scammers! 

Please send a picture of what you have to sell along with a piece of paper with your user name and todays date in the picture.

No reply received!

Read full message

I was contacted by both of these scammers. I asked Couture for basically the same thing you did...nothing. If he had posted pics, I was going to request that he then post pics of him holding the item with his pinky finger extended.

NCD is quite correct. NEVER post phone #'s, E-mail address, real name or (most importantly) physical address. Real bad things can and have happened to people who have done this. 

59 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was contacted by both of these scammers. I asked Couture for basically the same thing you did...nothing. If he had posted pics, I was going to request that he then post pics of him holding the item with his pinky finger extended.

NCD is quite correct. NEVER post phone #'s, E-mail address, real name or (most importantly) physical address. Real bad things can and have happened to people who have done this. 

Great advice but sadly, pards on the Wire Classifieds still post phone numbers, emails and other personal information that scammers feed on.

17 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Great advice but sadly, pards on the Wire Classifieds still post phone numbers, emails and other personal information that scammers feed on.

Phone numbers, E-mail, real names are bad enough...some people still post their actual home address here and on other sites. It's just begging for people to case them out, break in and steal their possessions, including guns. 

Over on the Muzzleloading Forum they require every ad have a photo if item with piece of paper with user name and date. Maybe the moderators should require this here? Hate adding another layer, but maybe useful.

1 hour ago, Dusty Morningwood said:

Over on the Muzzleloading Forum they require every ad have a photo if item with piece of paper with user name and date. Maybe the moderators should require this here? Hate adding another layer, but maybe useful.

That would definitely help with the small amount of scammers that join SASS, bide their time a little and then post here with something for sale. Many of the scammers respond, via PM's, to ISO and WTB posts. With the current forum rules, there's not much of a way to stop that activity. I have sold to non-SASS members that have responded to For Sale ads, with good results. The easiest way to spot the scammers is to run your cursor over their (supposed) name to see when they joined the forum(s) and how many posts they have made. A little vigilance goes a long way to preventing rip-offs.

All scammers rely on one thing, the knowledge that some folks can't resist the lure of a "too good to be true" offer. 

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

That would definitely help with the small amount of scammers that join SASS, bide their time a little and then post here with something for sale. Many of the scammers respond, via PM's, to ISO and WTB posts. With the current forum rules, there's not much of a way to stop that activity. I have sold to non-SASS members that have responded to For Sale ads, with good results. The easiest way to spot the scammers is to run your cursor over their (supposed) name to see when they joined the forum(s) and how many posts they have made. A little vigilance goes a long way to preventing rip-offs.

All scammers rely on one thing, the knowledge that some folks can't resist the lure of a "too good to be true" offer. 

I think this forum software is capable of enforcing a new rule:

"Member must have 10 posts before posting in the classified section. Members must also have 10 posts before sending PMs to other members."

The very rare and exceptional spammer will make 10 basically meaningless posts to meet the requirement, but they can usually be picked off due to post content; all stuff like "I agree" and "Me too."

57 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I think this forum software is capable of enforcing a new rule:

"Member must have 10 posts before posting in the classified section. Members must also have 10 posts before sending PMs to other members."

The very rare and exceptional spammer will make 10 basically meaningless posts to meet the requirement, but they can usually be picked off due to post content; all stuff like "I agree" and "Me too."

One thing for sure, it couldn't hurt. There has been instances where the scammer made 10 - 20 posts interacting with folks on all of the forums and didn't try scamming people for a few months. Lulled them into a false trust I guess.

29 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

One thing for sure, it couldn't hurt. There has been instances where the scammer made 10 - 20 posts interacting with folks on all of the forums and didn't try scamming people for a few months. Lulled them into a false trust I guess.

44 Bang, Muggles ring a bell? Exactly what they did, thank you for pointing their methods out and having a SASS number is no security measure either.

I posted a wanted to buy a Taurus Raging Judge and was contacted by Couture that he had one for sale. Asked for my email address to send photos and information which he did. Still not sure if he is for real. Guess might have to ask for more I.D. and a photo of him holding firearm. You can never be to careful in dealing with non SASS  members.  Thats kind of funny that he has posted other things for sale to other SASS members.  

53 minutes ago, Buckey Buckem , SASS #9064 said:

I posted a wanted to buy a Taurus Raging Judge and was contacted by Couture that he had one for sale. Asked for my email address to send photos and information which he did. Still not sure if he is for real. Guess might have to ask for more I.D. and a photo of him holding firearm. You can never be to careful in dealing with non SASS  members.  Thats kind of funny that he has posted other things for sale to other SASS members.  

The guy is a scammer, period. He can't possibly have everything that people are looking for on the Classifieds. Anyone can cut and paste a pic. I'd block him from any further contact if that's possible. 

10 hours ago, Dusty Morningwood said:

I feel this works well despite some rolling their eyes about the extra layer. I have seen one scammer edit the photo with a white text box with their username in it. It was easy (to me) to spot. I feel like a broken record at times warning about scammers and fake retail websites. If you are unsure about a seller or a website, ask for help. Don't let greed or desperation cause you to take chances. Here's a good litmus test: If you believe the people on Art Bell's radio show, you shouldn't be trying to buy firearms and related items over the Internet! :P

I'm not much of a poster because I'm new and doing more reading than participating in threads, so...I guess this is my effort to get more posts:D I will usually try to buy a few things from good members to help with building my profile. I like the idea of 10 or more posts and the paper with date and user name, maybe even a time limit of sorts for selling items, buying might be a little different.

Paul

14 hours ago, Buckey Buckem , SASS #9064 said:

He's been banned.  Along with a few of his friends.  Looks like there was a run of them lately.

47 minutes ago, Eliphalet R. Moderator said:

He's been banned.  Along with a few of his friends.  Looks like there was a run of them lately.

I hope that the front office doubled your salary for all this work......

La Sombra

The other one from a month ago that was selling a rifle and pistol disappeared too. Lots of folks were trying to give him a break! I thought something smelled from the git go.

I know it adds a third layer but have sometimes thought a third party go between would be good. Money and goods sent to third party and once verified then they would send on the money and goods to the prospective sellers and buyers. I am always leery about sending a bunch of money to someone I don't know and then hoping it isn't a scam and that I actually get what I bought.

I was floored by one purchase here when I bought my current 73 Cody from a guy in Florida that actually sent me the rifle before getting any money. That was very unusual. The transaction when smoothly and we both were happy in the end but I have never had someone blindly have enough faith to send something before receiving the funds.

TM

1 minute ago, Texas Maverick said:

I know it adds a third layer but have sometimes thought a third party go between would be good. Money and goods sent to third party and once verified then they would send on the money and goods to the prospective sellers and buyers. I am always leery about sending a bunch of money to someone I don't know and then hoping it isn't a scam and that I actually get what I bought.

I was floored by one purchase here when I bought my current 73 Cody from a guy in Florida that actually sent me the rifle before getting any money. That was very unusual. The transaction when smoothly and we both were happy in the end but I have never had someone blindly have enough faith to send something before receiving the funds.

TM

There are many Pards on here that I would not hesitate to ship to before payment arrived. I've also received items from folks here that I'm pretty sure shipped before they got my check.

7 hours ago, Texas Maverick said:

TM

Guntab provides this service.

I have sold and bought items on here and have never waited or had to wait for check to arrive.as soon as I received the ill take it and received shipping infor it was a done deal and shipped the next day. I believe 99 % of sass members and up and up people

Archived