SASS Wire Forum

SASS Headquarters May Get 27" Of Snow By Thursday!

Cholla

I just saw a projection for the incoming storm that shows that north-central Indiana may get 27" of snow by Thursday and temps of zero by Saturday! New Mexico will be looking pretty good about then...

My wife is extremely happy we moved back to AZ!

9 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Did I mention I'm the new Director of Public Works (sounds good, huh?) of a small town just north of there? Hush yer face!:D

Stay warm and safe!

Just now, DeaconKC said:

Stay warm and safe!

Thanks much. My wife is freaking out because I drive fifty miles to work. Has my bag packed already and I imagine I'll have enough food for a week. The high Tuesday is 47 degrees, then rain, ice snow and wind Wednesday and Thursday. 

Ten trucks fueled and ready. I was blessed with great crews that know their stuff. I'll fill in where needed. I need to get with the police chief about towing vehicles. Fire chief knows he can call for anything. I'll share some coffee with him tomorrow and chat. Fun stuff!!!

51 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I just saw a projection for the incoming storm that shows that north-central Indiana may get 27" of snow by Thursday and temps of zero by Saturday! New Mexico will be looking pretty good about then...

The SASS HQ in New Mexico was at 7,000 feet elevation and if I remember correctly they had quite a few big snow storms over the years.

^^^^^^^^

Lots of snow at Founder's Ranch.  The first shoot at Founder's Ranch was called "Smoke in the Valley."  Quickly became known as "Snow in the Valley."

59 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Did I mention I'm the new Director of Public Works (sounds good, huh?) of a small town just north of there? Hush yer face!:D

I don't remember how far south the lake effect snow goes in Indiana. My wife loved Mercer, WI until I reminded her Mercer was in the band that got the lake effect snow. That just about doubled the amount they got fifty miles south.

It seemed like when we lived there the dividing line of bad weather was I-40. The joke was if they had just moved the interstate another 50 miles north our weather would have been much better!

We get some lake effect when the wind sets up good. West of us gets it a lot more. This storm is gulf moisture I think.

I grew up in west Michigan. It snowed a LOT! 

2 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Congratulations on what I assume is a promotion. 
Stay safe out there!
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The Albuquerque Moriarty area gets some snow. Not huge amounts. At least in my view. So Cal folks would disagree. :D

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

Oh, but Cholla...

Misty (and I believe Ruby) were here in NM, in 2007, when the East Mountains got that over 2 days...roads were closed from Tx line to Az line for 3 days...many of our roads out here were snow packed with 5ft drifts for weeks.

The gals are used to snow...believe me.

Oh, and we get down to the singles most years.

3 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Thanks much. My wife is freaking out because I drive fifty miles to work. Has my bag packed already and I imagine I'll have enough food for a week. The high Tuesday is 47 degrees, then rain, ice snow and wind Wednesday and Thursday. 

Shanley drives 50 in as well...50 back home.

They often close the cayon, and twice in 20 years, they closed the old hwy too!

In winter, there are MRE's in the truck...with water!

31 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Albuquerque Moriarty area gets some snow. Not huge amounts. At least in my view. So Cal folks would disagree. :D

Bob...we have gotten the same snow and temps that you get there...

Remember, East Mountains are circled by 3 chains.^_^

26 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They have gotten large amounts many times since the SASS HQ moved there. By the way up at one of our mountain top communications sites in east San Diego county it isn’t that uncommon at all to get 2-3 ft if snow in one storm. On Toro Peak just south of Palm Springs we got so much snow at that site every winter that we had to helicopter in to do maintenance on the repeaters and generators. We had to use the roof access hatches on the generator building and bunk/living quarters because the snow was over the doorways, nearly to the roof. The site was diesel generator powered and the air to the generators was provided by a snorkel system coming down from the roof, elevation 8,710.

9 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

They don't know yet how much. The guesses start at 6" and go to 27". Hope it's powdery. Easier to plow.

Same thing here in Northeast Ohio, they said it’s too early to predict snow totals. Spring is 7 weeks away!B)

11 hours ago, Cholla said:

I-40 runs through Tennessee, Arkansas, and Oklahoma!!  We do have a little snow here now and then, but big snows are few and far between! :lol:

I enjoy big snow, but it’s a lot of work for some folks! Y’all stay warm and dry!!

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hurry head to the store for bread and milk!!:o

Make sure you wear your good pajamas if you are heading to Walmart!

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Latest map.

snow-map-013022-800x587.jpg

So where on that map are you and where is SASS headquarters?

Geography was never my strong suit.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

You gotta keep them lakes filled up somehow!!! Keep them muskies growing in case I ever come back.

My wife is a Hoosier, born and breed. We moved west within a few months of being married (1984) and she got spoiled with the 300 days of sun here. In 1994 she jumped at the chance to move back to Indiana. It didn’t take long for the seemingly endless dreary cloudy days to wear on her. Seriously, it could be weeks before we saw the sun at times. She gets depressed when it’s dark and gray. By 2010 she had enough and told me she wanted to move back west when our obligations in Indiana had ended. I was seriously concerned about her health the five years before we moved back to AZ. Now she is a different person. I have to laugh now when we have a few days of rain because she complains about the “endless” dreary! Yes, it can snow here, sometimes 24”! But as soon as the storm passes we have bluebird sky’s and the world is right again. 

2 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

When i worked for the Illinois Highway Department. I couldn't get home, a couple of times. Stayed in parts room.

In a Military Sleeping Bag.

Planning on that myself this week. Cot and bag are in the truck.

5 hours ago, Cholla said:

You gotta keep them lakes filled up somehow!!! Keep them muskies growing in case I ever come back.

My wife is a Hoosier, born and breed. We moved west within a few months of being married (1984) and she got spoiled with the 300 days of sun here. In 1994 she jumped at the chance to move back to Indiana. It didn’t take long for the seemingly endless dreary cloudy days to wear on her. Seriously, it could be weeks before we saw the sun at times. She gets depressed when it’s dark and gray. By 2010 she had enough and told me she wanted to move back west when our obligations in Indiana had ended. I was seriously concerned about her health the five years before we moved back to AZ. Now she is a different person. I have to laugh now when we have a few days of rain because she complains about the “endless” dreary! Yes, it can snow here, sometimes 24”! But as soon as the storm passes we have bluebird sky’s and the world is right again. 

Top muskie lakes in the nation are eight miles south of work. Always a seat on the boat for you.

Archived