SASS Wire Forum

The Aussie Humour Thread

Buckshot Bear

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

Aussie roo.gif

...... just look at the size of those tallons he has for toenails, .... then look at his technique .....

..... yes, even the oversize rats, er native wildlife in Australia not only wants to, but is very capable of killing you ........  :mellow:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I thought it was funny enough to post, but even as I was posting it I was thinking that that looked a whole lot more like a alligator than a crocodile. Awful dang wide snout.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Brazos, you're confused?

Alligator-vs-Crocodile.jpg

Alligators - top picture - have a wide snout, while crocodiles - bottom picture - have a narrow snout.

The crocodilian in the picture and question (IN QUESTION, otto you dork) appeared to be an alligator, from the width of his snout.

Edited by Alpo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Brazos, you're confused?

Alligator-vs-Crocodile.jpg

Alligators - top picture - have a wide snout, while crocodiles - bottom picture - have a narrow snout.

The crocodilian in the picture and question appeared to be an alligator, from the width of his snout.

Excellent photos for the comparison! Thanks!

I don't want to meet either of them out in the wild, regardless of where I am.

I've seen gators from a distance, and that is fine with me. 

And I doubt if I'll ever make it down under to see a real croc. Or a magpie. Or any of the other killer animals y'all have down there.

Spiders and snakes and drop bears, oh, my!  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brazos John said:

Excellent photos for the comparison! Thanks!

I don't want to meet either of them out in the wild, regardless of where I am.

I've seen gators from a distance, and that is fine with me. 

And I doubt if I'll ever make it down under to see a real croc. Or a magpie. Or any of the other killer animals y'all have down there.

Spiders and snakes and drop bears, oh, my!  

Hate to surprise you, but there's crocodiles in the US, too. 

Down in Florida.  There's not a lot of them, they don't have a big range qnd and they are listed as threatened. I don't think that the American crocodile is as big as the saltwater crocodile.crocodile_range_map.jpg?format=webp&qual

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

370387057_6414062822048302_246579874947247103_n.jpg.b6bd774425131c5cc8778658eb14b15a.jpg

I lost a brown croc at Corroboree Billabong, could be mine (except that's another Gator).

For our Yank mates Corroboree Billabong is a famous Barramudi Fishing spot up in the NT and probably one of the highest concentration of Crocs in the country (up there with Shady Camp, probably the highest).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

THE DINGO FENCE - 1885
Nature and Parks Coober Pedy.
It is the longest fence in the world, the Dingo or Dog Fence, and you can see a section of this 5,600 km barrier near the Kanku-Breakaways, 15km from Coober Pedy.
Built in 1885 to protect the sheep in the southern states, by keeping out dingoes and other wild dogs. Originally 8,614 km long, it was shortened in the 1980's.
This phenomenal fence spans from Queensland in the north-east to the Great Australian Bight in South Australia in the south to protect the south-eastern farms.
Protection measures against dingoes by this fence, include a height of up to 2 metres and it extends 30 cm into the ground to prevent digging underneath. Other measures along the fence include lighting and poison bait traps.
The Dingo Fence is made of wooden posts connected by wire mesh (electric in some sections) and much of it is lit at night by alternating red and white fluorescent lamps and patrolled by a staff of 23 full-time employees.
It costs almost $750,000 to maintain each year, but it's still not 100 percent effective. Dingoes do get through—sometimes when wild camels smash holes in the fence

371349925_1630932814063114_2158218826044542673_n.thumb.jpg.ba498b207b73035a24c28b1e4b6bd636.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4