SASS Wire Forum

Hacked

I have two credit cards that I use.

One of those got hacked yesterday to the tune of $3,600.00 and an unsuccessful attempt was made on the other card.

I spend over an hour getting the first one straightened out and will receive a new card in about a week.

The second one is clean, but I asked for a new card from them, too.....just in case.

Overall I'm out nothing but some time, anxiety, a bit of inconvenience, and my milk of human kindness and belief in my fellow man and woman is curdled.

I believe I could get off with a justifiable manslaughter charge if I could find these people and shoot them.

Watch your accounts and purchases.  Credit card companies and many merchants are getting good at ferreting these people out and correcting the fake purchases.  Amazon caught one of these and Walmart got the other one, but we all need to be more vigilant. 

Agree.

I presume you are retired. Imagine the extra anxiety people who still work 40 to 80 hours per week go through when they find out they don't have the time to fight this when their cards have been stolen.

Not trying to diminish your experience at all, just still seething from my own.

:angry:

And I fully agree with your paragraph number 6. For all thieves.

One of my cards was issued by my bank.  The lady who has bailed me out of a number ponds since my wife died told me I could go about my business and she would handle it.  I just had to sign a couple of places to get my new card.  I stayed around to see what it took to get the issue solved.

I think I'll buy some roses for my two ladies at the bank and the five ladies at the VA that are keeping me healthy.  I'd be in deep doodoo without their help. 

Most credit cards are 100% protected from fraudulent charges -  ones that you did not make. You let the card company know, and they erase the charge and usually issue a new card.  Pretty easy to dispute a charge on most if you can't get the vendor to provide typical refunds for poor quality, or poor service.  Then the card company will take on the vendor.

However -

Most check cards (aka cash cards, teller machine cards, debit cards) ARE NOT protected uniformly and the amount of coverage for fraud depends on the issuing bank or credit union.   Be real careful with them!

good luck, GJ

I've had my WF debit card hacked a few times.   Usually from using it at a quick mart gas pump.  Either I noticed something and called WF and got charges reversed within a day or the bank froze my card when there was suspicious activity.   Always got the replacement card within 5 days.   

A pain in the backside, especially when it caused about 10 overdraft charges.   But always cleared up easily. 

The one card that I will never ever use again is Discover. I had a disputed charge that those buttheads took 6 months to fix. At the same time that issue jacked up my PayPal account. That took 11 months to fix. They had to “evaluate” what happened. Then one day I get this warm fuzzy email about how I was once again worthy to use their system. 
Both Discover and PayPal got responses that if I write them here I would be banned. 

My other credit cards have been great when hacked or fraud occurred. That also includes my bank and debit card. I have had the hassle of waiting for a card but never the hassle of having to pay for some scumbag’s criminal ways. 

I have said for years “Woe be unto the computer virus generator or a hacker that preys on everyday folks if I run into them. Someone’s going to the hospital, or worse, and someone’s going to jail.”

Not kidding. :angry:

Glad you got that fixed, Forty Rod. :)

Fraud is a major contributing factor to the high interest rates and fees on bankcards.  Losses are literally in the billions of $$ annually;  sadly, most of this will be "written off" - in other words, ultimately paid for by the clients/cardholders/customers.  Relatively few of the perpetrators are caught; actually, few are pursued.  Just too difficult in today's electronic age.

In my not-so-humble opinion, there should be a greater effort made... and when caught and convicted, these jackasses should be hung by their ankles from busy freeway overpasses.  Just high enough that their fingertips barely miss brushing the tops of passing semi-trucks - whose drivers would delight in blasting their airhorns as the pass beneath.  Reel 'em up once every hour for a drink of water and a "bio-break," then back over the side.  

That oughtta convince 'em to go back to chicken rustlin'... or even honest work (perish the thought!)  ;)

15 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Anytime a purchase is made on my card for an amount over $200 they send me a text.   

I have the same set up and the charge is held until I release it.

17 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Anytime a purchase is made on my card for an amount over $200 they send me a text.   

16 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I have the same set up and the charge is held until I release it.

Please PM me your provider name.

I had my Wal*Mart account hacked while at Legends.  I got an e-mail about a purchase to be delivered to a party in Spokane and promptly cancelled.  I would like to say the hacker was cuffed as he arrived to pick up his purchase but know it won't happen.

When I worked for the state, my state Visa card got hacked probably twice a year for fairly substantial amounts. Monday morning, I'd get a call from finance - "Did you order $4600 of Apple products from China Saturday, another $2800 from their warehouse in Pennsylvania, and $680 from their California warehouse?"

It seemed to be a regular thing with state cards. 

On 4/28/2021 at 3:55 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Most check cards (aka cash cards, teller machine cards, debit cards) ARE NOT protected uniformly and the amount of coverage for fraud depends on the issuing bank or credit union.   Be real careful with them!

This is exactly why my bank advised me to keep the checking account balance low, and move the rest into a savings account that is not tied to a debit card.

Archived