Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trigger Mike

bass pro visit

Recommended Posts

Cabelas and bass pro had a 10% off gift cards for fathers day so I bought one for my son's birthday and myself for father's day.  He bought ocean fishing gear with his, and there was a definite short supply of poles and other gear and fishing line had several empty slots.  

 

I had hoped to buy a firearm or ammo.  The ammo shelves were empty for the most part, some odd calibers that I don't use like 270, 6.5 or a few others.  The gun cabinet looked empty except for a fe Kimber, a ruger mk IV  and some Uberti cowboy revolvers.  I didn't see any rifles except for a fe Henry and some shotguns and bolt action rifles.   It was depressing.  The one in Savannah is attached to a mall and I had thought since it was my wife's birthday she and the girls could shop there while we went to bass pro.  The mall stores were mostly closed.  You couldn't get to the mall area from bass pro as they had closed the gate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the same report from my son about an hour ago from the Bass Pro in Phoenix. Shelves were nearly empty of ammo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good time to be a reloader. Bad for us consumers but it’s good to see the gun/ammo companies doing well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their HQ store is about 5 miles from us.

Same emptiness, and the prices ain't that good on what they do have.

OLG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first week after they opened up again here they had tons of ammo. The heavy buying started later; as of today the shelves are down about 50%.

 

The big problem is long waits at the gun counter, which is going on at a lot of shops. I've always thought there ought to be a 'two-tier' system, so to speak. I'm looking for a bolt-action .22 for a grandson. I don't want to wait most of an hour to find out whether they even have any in stock! It'd be nice to find out if they have any of a type right away; then wait my turn if the answer is yes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, at the Gander Outdoor store I work at, we have plenty of rifle ammo in calibers other than .223 /5.56 or 7.62x39. A bit of revolver ammo, and we get 9mm in regularly in small amounts but it goes out just as fast. No buckshot or anything of that nature in 12 or 20 gauge. We have some semi-auto handguns, but not like our usual selection. ARs and pump action shotguns are pretty much non-existent. It's just the way things are right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fin Feather and Fur and small chain here in Ohio, they had plenty of ammo of all kinds! Lots of primers and reloading stuff too! There was a line outside for Firearms only, if you wanted other merchandise you could go right in. The firearm selection looked pretty well stocked but I wasn't going to wait in line to just look. It was hard to look since they had it roped off and at least 6 ft back from the counters. 

 

I got 2000 Federal primers, a box of WIN AA shotgunshells light loads, two boxes of 9mm and a box of .357's FMJ for my modern guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Good time to be a reloader. Bad for us consumers but it’s good to see the gun/ammo companies doing well 

Bad time to get in to reloading.

 

I'm about to start dialing to try and find primers and powder locally. Even just a little bit of it to get started. Have not got to the point of asking local club members for a small starter amount of each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Cabelas and bass pro had a 10% off gift cards for fathers day so I bought one for my son's birthday and myself for father's day.  He bought ocean fishing gear with his, and there was a definite short supply of poles and other gear and fishing line had several empty slots.  

 

I had hoped to buy a firearm or ammo.  The ammo shelves were empty for the most part, some odd calibers that I don't use like 270, 6.5 or a few others.  The gun cabinet looked empty except for a fe Kimber, a ruger mk IV  and some Uberti cowboy revolvers.  I didn't see any rifles except for a fe Henry and some shotguns and bolt action rifles.   It was depressing.  The one in Savannah is attached to a mall and I had thought since it was my wife's birthday she and the girls could shop there while we went to bass pro.  The mall stores were mostly closed.  You couldn't get to the mall area from bass pro as they had closed the gate.  

Since when did the 270 become an odd caliber 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

Bad time to get in to reloading.

 

I'm about to start dialing to try and find primers and powder locally. Even just a little bit of it to get started. Have not got to the point of asking local club members for a small starter amount of each.

Warden Callaway posted that Midway has primers yesterday. I went and looked almost bought some . Still on the fence for how long this is gonna last and I have a decent stock of small pistol “what I use most”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Since when did the 270 become an odd caliber 

I’ve always thought it was odd :) but it is a popular caliber 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Warden Callaway posted that Midway has primers yesterday. I went and looked almost bought some . Still on the fence for how long this is gonna last and I have a decent stock of small pistol “what I use most”

The HazMat shipping fees make small on-line powder and primer purchases very expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

The HazMat shipping fees make small on-line powder and primer purchases very expensive.

Think 5000 primers per size and 8lb of powder , it’s like toilet paper, it doesn’t go bad and you’re gonna use it eventually 

75AC27EB-3C7A-4E5A-BDDA-1167CE0FC3BC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Warden Callaway posted that Midway has primers yesterday. I went and looked almost bought some . Still on the fence for how long this is gonna last and I have a decent stock of small pistol “what I use most”

As of a few weeks ago, those that follow these things said at least August.

 

Focusing on Primers, the plant shutdowns broke the supply chain. When primer manufacture starts up again, corporate internal demand for factory ammunition will get first shipments (Federal, Remington, et. al.). The ammo remanufacturers will get allocation. Us mere retail consumers will be last in line for primers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same report for Bass Pro in Roseville (Sacramento).

If you arrive 10 minutes before the door opens, there is still a dozen ahead of you, and all going to the gun counter.
Take note:  Sportsmans and Bass Pro split the line, and have a separate line for ammunition.
This is not apparent at the "end of the line" so walk it first, and find the ammo line.

Twice now, it has taken me 2.0 hours to buy 3 cases of shotshells for trap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Twice now, it has taken me 2.0 hours to buy 3 cases of shotshells for trap.

 

That is something we've actually managed to keep in stock. Aguila brand for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just ordered two cases of AA X-tra light from Bass Pro.

 

Will be a nice comparison to my (hot) 3 Gun shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Since when did the 270 become an odd caliber 

Odd for me at least.  I prefer 3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Bass Pro ruined Cabela's I am mad  at them and refuse to  give them  any of my money. They also downgraded my credit card benefits, Orwellian Bast***s.

I got a letter telling me "You have been upgraded to  2% in store purchases and 1% for other businesses..."

I had 3% before...I guess that like getting my 25 grams of chocolate...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Since Bass Pro ruined Cabela's I am mad  at them and refuse to  give them  any of my money. They also downgraded my credit card benefits, Orwellian Bast***s.

I got a letter telling me "You have been upgraded to  2% in store purchases and 1% for other businesses..."

I had 3% before...I guess that like getting my 25 grams of chocolate...

Don’t know that much good for consumers has come out of that merger . Also saw a news story where the small town that was home to Cabelas was devastated by it . I know it happens all the time just sad to see . But maybe it makes some room for the little guys with Cabelas and Gander going down the tubes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Since Bass Pro ruined Cabela's ... Orwellian Bast***s.

But they aren't Dicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

But they aren't Dicks.

 

Yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're lucky around here in that there are 2 locations that seemed to be flush with more ammo then the military could use. Both locations, while mainstream in name, sit just far enough off the beaten path that most people do not know they are here or so I surmise. Firearms and ammo out da wazoo! And of course, I visit often and stimulate the local economy.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DocWard said:

 

That is something we've actually managed to keep in stock. Aguila brand for the most part.


I'm only interested in STS for subsequent reloading.
I have six cases in stock now for trap and later reloading for SASS.
The $2/box rebate applies to the first 50 boxes, so I'm at $4.99 per box of premium reloadable hulls.

For me, reloading for trap is not worth wasting precious resources of powder, primers and shot.
Gun Club, Aguila, etc are good for my trap plinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Don’t know that much good for consumers has come out of that merger . Also saw a news story where the small town that was home to Cabelas was devastated by it . I know it happens all the time just sad to see . But maybe it makes some room for the little guys with Cabelas and Gander going down the tubes 

Sydney Nebraska.  It is saddening to drive through there now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

But they aren't Dicks.

 

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

 

Yet...

 

Yet X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.