SASS Wire Forum

Opinions as to why this would not be illegal

Alpo

Because it is apparently not illegal in Miami.

Woman's cat disappeared. She put an ad in the paper in the lost and found.

Someone called and said he had her cat and if she wanted it back she needed to pay him $30. If she went to the police, he would kill her cat.

She went to the police. They said there was nothing they could do, as no crime had been committed.

Funny. I always thought extortion was a crime.

The only thing I could come up with is because it was such a small amount of money, they did not want to mess with it so they shined her on with that "it's not illegal".

Happy ending. The extortionist called three or four times. Then the cat came wandering home. The extortionist called again after the homecoming, and when told that the cat was at the house said, "Well, how about $5?"

I would say "Yeah, come on over." He wouldn't get $5 though.

I do not see how this wouldn't be illegal.

:FlagAm: I have been kinda worried about you brother.  With all the posts you have been making regarding all kinds of things, many off the wall so to speak.  You must have a ton of time on your hands.

Regards,

Chas B:D 

A person's close family member has apparently been dead for many years. This is believed to be true because other family members say it is so ...

Many of them claim to have attended the funeral ... knew the person was sick ...

There is a local news paper obituary as well ... etc .. etc ...

One day ... someone calls and says the family member just recently died ... that they had been living elsewhere with a different name and different family.

Many people in the Miami area have been rumored to be participating in witness protection programs so the story seems plausible. 

The caller says they will provide contact/location information for a fee. They also indicate that there may be unclaimed insurance and tax money available as well as real estate to be claimed. 

What crime has been committed?? Is this sort of activity 'legal" ("not illegal") or illegal?? :mellow:

It’s not illegal cause the cops are busy.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:43 AM, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

I would think it would be illegal. I know one thing, he would have a hard time collecting the money.

Think "Big Jake"

And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off.

Big Jake #1001.

1 hour ago, Big Jake1001 said:

And now you understand. Anything goes wrong, anything at all... your fault, my fault, nobody's fault... it won't matter - I'm gonna blow your head off. No matter what else happens, no matter who gets killed I'm gonna blow your head off.

Big Jake #1001.

That is a pretty definity statement, Pardner. 

5 hours ago, Big Jake1001 said:

Big Jake #1001.

Be careful of that...Today they would record that and use in a court of law....But then again if he or she is not around, who cares.....

Texas Lizard

I don't know Florida law, but I know cops.  Every single cop in America is finding reasons NOT to enforce the law right now.  Every time a cop takes enforcement action, they have to confront the offender / arrestee / suspect.  Occasionally this leads to a use of force, and no one wants to right now.  After the cop in Atlanta was arrested on a 100% COMMENDABLE shooting, everyone is trying to lay low.

This was a column in a Miami newspaper in October of 1986.

Nothing to do with what's going on in the country today.

I made my post when I got to the part in the column where it said that the cat's owners declined go to the park to pay the ransom, but instead went to the police.

"A Metro officer sympathizeD but said there was not much he could do. 'The man told us no laws had been broken', she said."

That was why I posted WHY WOULD THIS NOT BE ILLEGAL.

Then I finished reading the column. It tells about a woman whose miniature poodle ran away. Man called said he had dog. If She did not give him $30 he would kill the dog. She told him that was not going to happen and he eventually lowered his price to $10. She said that she did not believe he had the dog but if he did have him to go ahead and kill him. The dog came home by himself. There was another woman whoSE Samoyed disappeared. The man who called about this one wanted to have sex with a THE woman. She declined, and again the dog came home a day or two later.

The columnist got in touch with the police. Sergeant Ralph Nelson of the Metro Dade Economic Crimes Unit.

He said that he had never heard of this scam. Then THAT it was a new low.

But that it was definitely a crime, although because the money amount was so low it was most likely a misdemeanor.

"It's a fraud at least. Any time you attempt to extort money it's a crime."

I guess the first cop - the one that told the first woman that it was not a crime - just did not want to deal with such a piddly little misdemeanor. So he shined her on.

The second cop, who was talking to a newspaper reporter who had his name, had a different opinion of the legality.

I suppose if the paper had said that Patrolman John Smith it HAD said it was not a crime, Patrolman Smith might get in a bit of trouble with his superiors. But since they did not have "Patrolman John Smith", but just had "a Metro officer" -- there are lots of "Metro officers" on the Miami force.

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I suppose if the paper had said that Patrolman John Smith it HAD said it was not a crime, Patrolman Smith might get in a bit of trouble with his superiors. But since they did not have "Patrolman John Smith", but just had "a Metro officer" -- there are lots of "Metro officers" on the Miami force.

Actually Metro Officers are not on the Miami cops but the larger Metropolitan Dade County Public Safety Department. They don’t have a Sheriff there due to a big corruption scandal in the 60s when the Governor stepped in and disbanded the S.O.

Long story. And nothing to do with you post either. Just trivia. ;)

Archived