SASS Wire Forum

First match under my belt.

The Verdigris Kid

Went and shot with the Free State Rangers today. Since I haven't gotten my shotgun yet Lucky Drover let me share his 97. I didn't get off to a very auspicious start picking up 3 procedurals over the 6 stages for messing up sequences. Never could get a clean run, I always seemed to let at least 1 shot get away.

I ended up 33rd overall out of 38 shooters.

Had a blast though and met a lot of great people and really looking forward to the next match.

I have a short list for my big goals the first time out in any sport new to me:

• Don't shoot myself
  • Don't shoot anyone else
  • Don't DQ

Sounds like you met the goals I have for myself! And you didn't finish last, which is not even one of my big goals. Congratulations! My first SASS match might be in June.

11 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I have a short list for my big goals the first time out in any sport new to me:

• Don't shoot myself
  • Don't shoot anyone else
  • Don't DQ

Sounds like you met the goals I have for myself! And you didn't finish last, which is not even one of my big goals. Congratulations! My first SASS match might be in June.

Just the first time? :P

Just now, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Just the first time? :P

Yeah, after that everyone knows to stay out of my way. And they have learned to duck and take cover too which makes my second match much safer. :P

LOL, good catch. Yes, every time! This is the foundation to build on.

Kid, Thanks for your post. The wife and I haven't shot many matches over the past couple of years due to conflicts with our grandsons' baseball games. Now with this Covid putting a halt to shoots, I was starting to think that maybe it was time to step away. Reading your post and "hearing" the joy and excitement in your words brought back memories of my first shoot and made me realize what I'd be missing.

You're hooked. There is no turning back now. You'll be amazing at how quickly you will improve. Best to you, MCM

im good with last - at least i finish , procedural are not uncommon , that just has to do with following the sweeps and shooting the right targets in sequence , misses are common they will settle down as you get over the jitters we all feel getting started , 

do not get disheartened these things go away or settle down with time and comfort - no one won a match their first time out , besides it gives you something to strive for , much like life we evolve into it and as you age you look at it different in terms of your goals , just have realistic goals and go for them , enjoy what your doing , enjoy who you are doing it with , enjoy everything about this as it don't get much better than this in all of those terms , have fun , 

8 minutes ago, watab kid said:

im good with last - at least i finish , procedural are not uncommon , that just has to do with following the sweeps and shooting the right targets in sequence , misses are common they will settle down as you get over the jitters we all feel getting started , 

do not get disheartened these things go away or settle down with time and comfort - no one won a match their first time out , besides it gives you something to strive for , much like life we evolve into it and as you age you look at it different in terms of your goals , just have realistic goals and go for them , enjoy what your doing , enjoy who you are doing it with , enjoy everything about this as it don't get much better than this in all of those terms , have fun , 

LOL, as a fat old man I have no illusions of coming out on top. Having shot IDPA I know how even though you think you know exactly how the stage is run sometimes when the timer goes off the mind goes "Now how the heck was I supposed to shoot that?"

I did just get into this because I like guns, finally having without conscious intent finally acquired almost enough guns to start playing this game. The only thing lacking is my own shotgun, which I should have in about a week. So I'm in it for the fun, just trying to shoot first a clean stage, then a clear match... I'll worry about times after that is accomplished. :D

1 hour ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

Went and shot with the Free State Rangers today. Since I haven't gotten my shotgun yet Lucky Drover let me share his 97. I didn't get off to a very auspicious start picking up 3 procedurals over the 6 stages for messing up sequences. Never could get a clean run, I always seemed to let at least 1 shot get away.

I ended up 33rd overall out of 38 shooters.

Had a blast though and met a lot of great people and really looking forward to the next match.

Think of it this way,  now you have a good chance to improve.  If you did outstandingly well in your first match,  the next match you could do worse!

Verdigris Kid - Look at it this way: you didn't come in last on your first match so you did GREAT!

Welcome to the sport.

RR

Woo hoo!

Go do it again . ...

lotsa   room for  improvement .  That's  fun too

Welcome to the fun!

The first time out can be intimidating, don't let your results color your experience.    After 12 years in the game I'm still learning, and re-learning.

The important part is to have fun.

Nothing beats hanging out with cowgirls and cowboys and ringing steel.  Well, at least nothing you can do with your clothes on!  Did I just type that out loud?  :D

Grizz

Congratulations!

As you have experience with other shooting competitions you know your abilities.

Are there shooter's I would love to beat?  Truthfully, I'd just like to be in the same zip-code as some!

I just try to do better than I did the last time.  Maybe one day I'll actually start practicing.  As it is, I usually on shoot during a match or to test new loads.

Verdigris kid welcome to the game my ex called Cowboy Heroin. I started in 2002 and had as much fun this past Saturday as the day I started. The people are the best. Now go get yourself a good hat(not required).

Imis

Hey it was awesome shooting with you yesterday. Free State Ranger are a bunch of great people. Matches are starting up again and KC has a very strong Cowboy shooting community so you are in the right place. 

Welcome to the campfire

Sneaky

Kid, welcome to the fold!  We all got “hooked” the same way. Though there may have been good or even great shooters to start, or slow shooters to start, or, like me, the fastest misser you ever saw; it’s the people of CAS, and the spirit of the game (aka the love of the Cowboy way) which keeps us coming back for more. Thanks for your post. It reminds me of my first match and I finished last. That was almost 20 years ago and I can still finish in the bottom third if I try hard!

Welcome to the game Verdigris Kid!  I remember my first match like it was last year (which it was!).  I also didn't have a shotgun and borrowed a SxS from a pard.  Who knew shotguns had two triggers?  What a train wreck that first stage was trying to get that second shot off using the front trigger again. :lol: After what seemed like several minutes of me fumbling with that shotgun a pard starting yelling "back trigger!, back trigger!" and I finally got that second shot off.   For the next 5 stages you could hear me saying "front trigger, back trigger", what a hoot that was.  Should have changed my alias to Back Trigger right then and there.  Anyway, I plowed on through the rest of the match and had a lot of fun.  Like you, I had a great time and couldn't wait to shoot another match.  The people in this sport really make the difference.

Good luck!

This game sure is fun!

I was so nervous at my first match I thought I would puke. Two .44 mag. Vaqueros, a .44 mag. Rossi and a Chinese '97, all stock. The Rossi would stovepipe at least once per stage and the Ruger springs were really stout. I don't recall if I had one clean stage, but boy howdy did I have a great time. I got lots of advice such as getting springs for the pistols, a different rifle and an action job on the shotgun. I've since replaced those guns and then some for one reason or another. I've learned a lot, met hundreds of great folks and God willing will enjoy this to my final days.

Welcome to the game and enjoy.

im old too - i was younger when i picked my alias , no illusions on my part either , im in it for the fun of doing it and being there , i do like watchin the good shooters tho , makes me think if id started sooner i might have been a contender back then - when my eyes were good , my reflexes were sharp , my abilities were available , now im an old man just havin fun , 

Make enough Smoke and Folks can't see what Ya is doing Wrong .... Twenty of My cartridges , make More Smoke than 50 "Smoke Standard" ones ....

Have Fun , and the rest will take care of it's self...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived