SASS Wire Forum

Silly mistakes

Go West

Our AV receiver took a crap yesterday while watching horse racing.......Dang, that sucks. I don't normally tell about my stupid (or silly) mistakes, but here's two.

I got a replacement receiver and couldn't get the damn thing going. It was supposed to setup through the TV and be very simple. Couldn't do a manual work around and fussed for an hour or more with no luck. I finally checked the HDMI connection and found it wasn't plugged in all the way. Whoops, there's one!

Then more cursing cause it still didn't work.

Wifey dared to ask if the batteries were bad in the remote. Bless her heart. That was number two. Changed them out and we were in business within minutes.

Blood pressure declined and was pleased nothing was harmed in this adventure, just a little pride for those two simple little things.

Since we're confessing.   I have a Harbor Freight mini-lathe that I tinker with.  Awaaa!  It quit working!   I checked everything, overload switch,  fuse. Even found the manual.  Nothing helped.  Searched YouTube and found nothing helpful.  Days went past and I'd scratch my head and go over everything again.  Nothing fixed it.  Then I remembered it had a plastic shield that was mounted on a shaft that actuated a safely switch.  I had removed the shield soon as I figured out it was just a nuisance. Somehow the the shaft had got turned to the shutoff position.  Sure glad it was just an oversight and not a real problem. 

When I was a teenager, I was interested in how things worked. ;)

I took the family push mower apart, and wanted to clean all the grease and oil off the parts to make them shiny again. :D

Got the gas can, and used the Styrofoam cup I had just drank out of and poured in the gas to half full.

By time I grabbed the parts I wanted to have soak in the gasoline, I could not find the cup! :o

Instead there was this blob of white goo on the concrete floor.

Who knew! :blush:

I have a Mitsubishi Raider, (Dodge Dakota) truck that I am in the process of installing a set of driving lights on. The other day, I was drilling a hole in the brackets I was making to mount them. You know how a drill bit will catch the material and yank it out of your hand? It did that. It spun it around, chopped a piece out of my finger, and smacked the A/C condenser. A/C condensers are expensive.:angry:

I have a little 2 gal air compressor that wouldn't run so I bought a 20 gal compressor (I wanted a much bigger one anyway). 

Well, I was getting ready to take the 2 gal apart to see if it was repairable (I always do this. If something breaks, I immediately buy a new one and then see if I can repair the old one). Now, my normal mode of operating the compressor was to completely vent it when I was finished with it so when I checked the valve, it was tight! The compressor has a shut off pressure switch when pressurized (as they all do). I had forgotten to vent it the last time I used it and that was why it would not run!

So now, I have two compressors!:o

I cut a chunk out of my left middle finger today with my super sharp Swiss Army Knife scissors today. Bled like crazy. 

Saturday I spent an hour trying to adjust the rear brake light switch on my Kawasaki only to find the manual was wrong. Once I figured that out I had it adjusted in 5 minutes. Tech Writers..... Grrrrrr

Ah, to look at our old scarred bodies and remember the times.

I'm a lot more careful now.

It just takes too long to heal.

On 4/6/2020 at 10:26 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I have a story for almost every one of my scars. If you will sit still long enough I will tell you all of them.:D

Some scars are Better Forgotten …. As long as you learned the Lesson ...

I just Wish my body would stop bringing them to my attention ...

Jabez Cowboy

On 4/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

That is why I call in the repairman....Saves on blood and meat....For tech problems call the my kids...Only cost for them is a home cooked meal....And watch the grandkids....

Texas Lizard

Archived