• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buckshot Bob

• Alpo

• Pat Riot

• Subdeacon Joe

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

R-72.jpg

Je parle Francaise, mais je ne parle Creole!

But they sure do cook bon!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

Upper and lower cases.jpg

Yes for the idea, but no for the example.

A typeface case would have multiples of each letter, for the expected frequency in actual use. So then when looking at a page of something like Shakespeare's plays, there would be instances of "v"s where one might expect "u"s. The printer simply ran out of one letter and substituted the one that looked closest from a physical sense.

Printing and publication could not be delayed to wait for a metal worker (black smith) to make more of a certain letter.

But worse than that, there is a point in history when a mathematical table (logarithms? some trig function?) was set, and some worker dropped the set; then the worker put the table back together in the wrong arrangement! It took years to unwind the printings of that book (a set of folded and bound pages) and some churches and bridges had major failures and delays in construction because of it.

Wish I had a link for that fiasco, it has infamy in certain circles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

344549731_626821105630251_4269878150701738156_n.jpg.25628fc3eda791e77b9051a4aaf9c3fb.jpg

A dear friend and Mentor , departed for some years, was Warden of a particularly nasty prison. At least in those days, the inmates were quite ingenious and managed to bootleg despite the best efforts of staff.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:02 PM, Rip Snorter said:

A dear friend and Mentor , departed for some years, was Warden of a particularly nasty prison. At least in those days, the inmates were quite ingenious and managed to bootleg despite the best efforts of staff.

And it’s always been kind of ironic to me that government officials want us to believe they can control what happens outside of prison. When they can’t control people in the place where they have the most control over them . And without one firearm somehow people still are murdered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

And it’s always been kind of ironic to me that government officials want us to believe they can control what happens outside of prison. When they can’t control people in the place where they have the most control over them . And without one firearm somehow people still are murdered. 

image.thumb.png.644a814d4cc03bfd3a8170fdb337e6fb.png

There are even cases of guns having been made in prisons.

• Like 5

Four guys have been going on the same fishing trip for many years.
Two days before the group is to leave, Ron's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going.
Ron's mates are very upset that he can't go, but what can they do. Two days later the three mates get to the camping site only to find Ron sitting there with a tent set up, firewood gathered, and dinner cooking on the fire.
“Ron, how long you been here? How did you talk your missus into letting you go?"
"Well, I've been here since last night. After dinner at home yesterday evening, I was sitting in my chair and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said, 'Guess who?'
I pulled her hands off, and she was wearing sexy brand new lingerie. She said she had been reading 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and she had a devilish look in her eyes!!!
She took my hand and led me to our bedroom. The room had candles and rose petals all over.
On the bed she had handcuffs, and ropes!
She told me to tie her up and cuff her to the bed, so I did.
And then she said, 'Do whatever you want.'
So . . . . here I am!"
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7