• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Buckshot Bob

• Pat Riot

• Alpo

• Subdeacon Joe

3 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

image.png.0126028699a7cf190d11ad6e05597d23.png

Our high school ROTC had fully functional M-1 rifles, M-1 carbines, 1911A1 pistols, a BAR, a 1919 lmg, some shotguns, and some .22 target rifles and pistols and a mortar. Seniors could, if their grades met the line, check out a rifle or carbine and a box of ammo on Friday evening and come in early the following Monday to clean it under the watchful eye of SSgt Sato.

WE had pistol and rifle teams using the .222s and the m-1 rifle and .45 pistols, ran exercises up Green Canyon using blanks rifles in most of the combat arms, were taught bayonet drills, and had a state-wide and well known precision drill team carrying M-1n rifles and 1911 pistols and very sharp Army Officer's sabers. 

The worst injuries were a few M-1 thumbs, and some bruising while learning the Queen Anne Salute and a few other drills.

There were some well known people graduated from that school (Merlin Olsen being one of then) and only two that I know of who were ever in trouble with the law...one for embezzlement and one for stealing and wrecking his boss's truck. 

About 15% of the class are veterans and at least two retired with stars on their collars

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

43 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Our high school ROTC had fully functional M-1 rifles, M-1 carbines, 1911A1 pistols, a BAR, a 1919 lmg, some shotguns, and some .22 target rifles and pistols and a mortar. Seniors could, if their grades met the line, check out a rifle or carbine and a box of ammo on Friday evening and come in early the following Monday to clean it under the watchful eye of SSgt Sato.

WE had pistol and rifle teams using the .222s and the m-1 rifle and .45 pistols, ran exercises up Green Canyon using blanks rifles in most of the combat arms, were taught bayonet drills, and had a state-wide and well known precision drill team carrying M-1n rifles and 1911 pistols and very sharp Army Officer's sabers. 

The worst injuries were a few M-1 thumbs, and some bruising while learning the Queen Anne Salute and a few other drills.

There were some well known people graduated from that school (Merlin Olsen being one of then) and only two that I know of who were ever in trouble with the law...one for embezzlement and one for stealing and wrecking his boss's truck. 

About 15% of the class are veterans and at least two retired with stars on their collars

We had a Rifle Club at Morris Hills HS in NJ back in '71. We shot Army surplus .22's in the school basement 50-foot range, where they kept the rifles in a locker. We shot against HS teams with actual target rifles and nice shooting jackets. I had a tan Army shirt with my NRA Marksmanship patches on it. We never won, but I would place near the top.

New Jersey seems to have changed in 50 years.  :(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Not only is that exactly what he said, I'm not sure how you could say the opposite.

The scarecrow said "The sum of the square roots of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side."

Said the same thing, the opposite way.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d8d3cf2adb123cadfc344bd022429ff.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The scarecrow said,  "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an Isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side." Not the opposite, just plain wrong.

Hmm, I must have missed that day in geometry class. 

In reality, I went to one week of geometry class and never went back. Got away with it too...until the grades came out:ph34r:.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

The scarecrow said,  "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an Isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side." Not the opposite, just plain wrong.

So, if the Scarecrow is wrong about this, what else is he wrong about?

And what about the Lion and the Tin Man?

And Dorothy herself?

Did she have ulterior motives for dropping her house on a citizen of the foreign land that she was visiting?

Was it really about Ruby Slippers, or something much deeper? The flowers, maybe? Were they poppies?

And what if the Flying Monkeys weren't the bad guys after all? Or were they just pawns in the game?

It's hard to know who you can trust nowadays...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Brazos John said:

So, if the Scarecrow is wrong about this, what else is he wrong about?

And what about the Lion and the Tin Man?

And Dorothy herself?

Did she have ulterior motives for dropping her house on a citizen of the foreign land that she was visiting?

Was it really about Ruby Slippers, or something much deeper? The flowers, maybe? Were they poppies?

And what if the Flying Monkeys weren't the bad guys after all? Or were they just pawns in the game?

It's hard to know who you can trust nowadays...

Sounds like you read Maguire's Wicked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

image.png

Sadly:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/23/business/uhaul-rental-trucks-license-plates-arizona/index.html

We can't tell where they are from by the U-Haul they use!:(

I came from ca but I tell everyone I was originally from Indiana to soften the blow. ;)

Also, I am a refugee from ca, not a missionary!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1