SASS Wire Forum

Valuing rifle usage???

Slowhand Bob, 24229

My wife purchased two long range rifles for me a few years back for use in starting some side match fun B).  The guns were never used due to more advanced medical problems (than anticipated) and are now essentially 'as new' (ceptin fer a bit of cuddling whenever out of the safe).  The truth is that I will never get any real use from these now BUT my question is how much would I be depreciating their value if I obtained just a few rounds for each gun and fired them just for jollies?  My thought is that most people will never believe that the guns were really unfired anyway, no?  I even have much of the reloading supplies for each BUT would try to find smokeless factory loads instead and limit my enjoyment to a box or less in each gun.  What say you, do not be selfish,  let her sell them as are or fire them big girls off a few times and enjoy a smile on my face??? 

Phantom is in the biz and I would say he knows what he's talking about.

That said, even if you lose a few dollars by doing so, I'd set off some powder and enjoy then a bit before I sold them were it me.

A lot of guns go up in value enough that shooting them won't seriously affect your net out, depending of course on whether you bought them at a slightly discounted price or paid full retail and how long you've had them.  The longer you've had them, the better chance you'll realize a gain in value, especially if it is a desirable configuration that is no longer made, is/was hard to get/etc.  Some guns are so cheap they never really go below a "user" value as well.  So much depends on the actual model, chambering, etc.  In the end, I decide if keeping them new for the next guy is more important than me enjoying shooting them.  If I bought them, I wanted to try them for some reason and they all get shot!

Howdy,

I hate to kick the hornet nest but there are NO unfired guns.

They all get fired at the factory and some get fired more than others.

I have unwrapped new from factory guns, looked down the barrel and...….powder residue.

I have long since given up on correcting folks using the term.

There, That was fun.

Best

CR

4 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I hate to kick the hornet nest but there are NO unfired guns.

They all get fired at the factory and some get fired more than others.

I have unwrapped new from factory guns, looked down the barrel and...….powder residue.

I have long since given up on correcting folks using the term.

There, That was fun.

Best

CR

First I would ask you when the process of test firing every gun leaving the factory began.

Then I would ask you whether you understand that when referring to "never fired", we are referring to guns that have never been fired outside of the factory.

My first thought is if you ain't shootin' them dump 'em and use the money for something else you may shoot more!

Firearms may depreciate and some do not. Sometimes their value depends on how the political winds are blowing for example. I once paid $700 for a brand new Colt HBar AR  And after the assault weapons bill passed I sold it for $1600. But I don't think we'll see that with most of our firearms. Firearms certainly don't depreciate like automobiles do (at least in terms of the amount of money were looking at losing) when brand new off the lot so there's that…

I'd suggest if you really want to shoot it then shoot it. If you don't want to mess with it and save yourself the worry of additional depreciation, don't. You talk about selling them. Put them up for sale and see what happens. If they don't sell then shoot them. 

If shooting them would bring you a little happiness and that big grin then by all means blaze away!

:D

only really high end and rare collectibles would be damaged by that use , the depreciation is felt when it walks out the door but you cannot enjoy what you never use ,

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

only really high end and rare collectibles would be damaged by that use , the depreciation is felt when it walks out the door but you cannot enjoy what you never use ,

Not an accurate statement... Yet in practical terms you are essentially correct.

Bob, value of single shot rifles have matrerially appreciated in value. Example:

For a Pedersoli 1874 Competition mold, I paid new $999 and the retail new price for the rifle is $2290. And it is only 6 years old

So depending on the make & models of your to rifles - following Phantom's depreciation values - your going to put money in the bank instead of keeping them as safe queens

Same goes for the levers: Uberti '66 Carbine - new $1239.  In 2005 paid $535 for mine and it's still in 95% condition

Archived