SASS Wire Forum

Fingerprint lock on your phone

Alpo

If you were to use a fingerprint lock on your phone, which of your 10 digits would you use?

They needed to get into a dead guy's phone, and of course they did not know his password. They use his left index finger.:huh: Why that one? :ph34r: Hmmmmm.

Tonight's random weird question.

I use both index fingers and both thumbs. sometimes holding the phone ind my right hand it is easier to use left finger,and vice versa

2 hours ago, Mad Dog Jack, SASS #77862 said:

I use both index fingers and both thumbs. sometimes holding the phone ind my right hand it is easier to use left finger,and vice versa

I did the same with mine. I now have the iPhone XS Max. No finger prints. Now it’s facial recognition. I liked using the fingerprints more...Facial recognition will have to do until they get the telepathic technology refined. Hahaha

The problem with biometric locks is that they will let you down when you need them the most. Attempting to use your fingerprint usually fails when your hands are contaminated with things like blood or when you are highly stressed out. Facial recognition I suspect has the same issue.

Designers of biometric system have decide if security or ease of access is most important. Guess where consumer electronics fall.

The biggest problem with biometric locks is that they can be hacked and once hacked you cannot change your biometric signature like you can a password.

There are hundreds if not thousands of fingerprint data bases. The largest being IAFIS at over 100 million fingerprints. About 1/3 of those do not belong to criminals but to ordinary law abiding citizens. If you have a CCW your fingerprints are likely in IAFIS. I suspect that there are literally thousands of seemingly innocuous ways for your fingerprints to end up in multiple databases all of which are hackable. If you don't think so remember that just a few years ago the highly personal data of 14 million people were compromised in the OPM breach. If you were a victim of that breach then you know that fingerprints were just a tiny part of what was compromised.

Article below is dated but still relevant.

Your phone’s biggest vulnerability is your fingerprint

Even with fingerprint readers on most phones, biometrics are still a long way from becoming the primary way into our devices. Analysts estimate less than 15 percent of iPhone logins happen through the TouchID sensor, and many phones simply won’t have the user’s fingerprint onboard. For those phones, the government’s stockpile of fingerprints is effectively useless. But for users that have logged their fingerprint, it gives police an easy way in. As the Los Angeles case shows, the government is beginning to take full advantage of that opening.

That’s not just a problem for criminals, but for biometrics in general. As long as federal agencies are collecting fingerprints in bulk, they’ll never be private, which means they’ll never be truly secure. Once it’s been collected, it can be revealed in a breach, as the OPM hack showed. For anyone hoping fingerprint readers would usher in a new era of mobile security, that’s terrible news. The new spotlight on San Bernardino and lockscreen protections only drives home the point. A fingerprint can be a personal password or it can be a government ID, but it can’t be both. In this case, the government may have already chosen for us.

If the government wants to see my bank account or my browser history (which I'm much more worried about), they don't need my fingerprint (which they've already been given, many times). I'm much more concerned with some hacker based in Singapore.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I did the same with mine. I now have the iPhone XS Max. No finger prints. Now it’s facial recognition. I liked using the fingerprints more...Facial recognition will have to do until they get the telepathic technology refined. Hahaha

Pat:

When you get a call first thing in the morning and you are awaken from a good night's sleep, does your phone still recognize you? :o:P

852605045_JustWokeUpFace.thumb.jpg.cb2d25c8eb04d9eb1a5e9b32207c902f.jpg  Maybe this helps what I meant! ;)

22 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat:

When you get a call first thing in the morning and you are awaken from a good night's sleep, does your phone still recognize you? :o:P

No doubt. Does it recognize his face before, or after, he puts on his eye liner?:P

31 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat:

Yes, if I put my glasses on. You can actually have it open in a couple of facial “configurations”. I have it work with my regular glasses and with sunglasses. 

Actually, I just added a third configuration without my glasses. Because of your question I wanted to see if it gave me a third option, the non-glasses option. It worked. I thought I only had 2 options available. 

I liked the the fingerprint option because I could use my phone with my motorcycle helmet on. Of course I had to take my gloves off, but that is easier than taking a helmet off.

Hairstyle doesn’t seem to affect the facial recognition feature. 

11 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

No doubt. Does it recognize his face before, or after, he puts on his eye liner?:P

:lol:

False eyelashes seem to throw it off...especially if I bat my eyes real fast. :P

My new IPad has a fingerprint lock that rarely works. After four failed tries I still have to enter my unlock code. Strangely enough when the ITunes Store wants a fingerprint to pay for a purchase it works every time.

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don't want a facial recognition.  I'm too ugly for it to work.

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

We're not judging you.  Laughing, but not judging 

7 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

My new IPad has a fingerprint lock that rarely works. After four failed tries I still have to enter my unlock code. Strangely enough when the ITunes Store wants a fingerprint to pay for a purchase it works every time.

I found that if I had wet hands, cold hands, dirty hands, or really dry skin my fingerprint recognition just would not work...now that I think about it the facial recognition actually works better than the fingerprint for me in many cases.

8 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Electronics cannot be frightened. Well, at least not up to this point. :P

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I found that if I had wet hands, cold hands, dirty hands, or really dry skin my fingerprint recognition just would not work...now that I think about it the facial recognition actually works better than the fingerprint for me in many cases.

You are right about that. From what I’ve read and people I’ve talked to who are savvy in this kind of technology the facial recognition is far better than the fingerprint method, even the nerdy guy at the Apple store told me that.

1 minute ago, Assassin said:

When I spend time doing wood work the fingerprint recognition does not work, Takes a day or two before it'll work again. 

There is a definite link between the two.

37 minutes ago, Assassin said:

When I spend time doing wood work the fingerprint recognition does not work, Takes a day or two before it'll work again. 

35 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

There is a definite link between the two.

Same goes for doing mechanical work on my bikes and vehicles.

I haven’t had the facial recognition not work when I have been dirty, sweaty, cold, hot, hair wet, hair messed up, hair cut short, etc. I did find that it will not work with polarized sunglasses. It seems the iPhone must detect eye movements when it does facial recognition. I guess that is so someone can’t access your phone with a photograph. 

Pretty interesting technology, I think. 

I wish I could have both fingerprint and facial recognition. That would be cool.

11 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

The problem with biometric locks is that they will let you down when you need them the most. Attempting to use your fingerprint usually fails when your hands are contaminated with things like blood or when you are highly stressed out. Facial recognition I suspect has the same issue.

Designers of biometric system have decide if security or ease of access is most important. Guess where consumer electronics fall.

The biggest problem with biometric locks is that they can be hacked and once hacked you cannot change your biometric signature like you can a password.

There are hundreds if not thousands of fingerprint data bases. The largest being IAFIS at over 100 million fingerprints. About 1/3 of those do not belong to criminals but to ordinary law abiding citizens. If you have a CCW your fingerprints are likely in IAFIS. I suspect that there are literally thousands of seemingly innocuous ways for your fingerprints to end up in multiple databases all of which are hackable. If you don't think so remember that just a few years ago the highly personal data of 14 million people were compromised in the OPM breach. If you were a victim of that breach then you know that fingerprints were just a tiny part of what was compromised.

Article below is dated but still relevant.

Your phone’s biggest vulnerability is your fingerprint

The only biometric system I have is my phone.  On my phone you can always enter a code instead of the fingerprints, so if it stops working tomorrow, it hasn't exactly failed me.  The rest of that is all good points and gives me something to think about.  Cops need a warrant to compel you to give up passwords.  Not so for fingerprints of pictures of your face.  Criminals don't need a warrant for either, but it's certainly easier for them to get biometric data unless the passcode is on a sticky note. 

I'm not telling which finger I use for mine.  But I figure if I ever need to wipe my phone, using the wrong finger 10 times in a row would be a quick way to do it. 

You can’t use a photo for facial recognition and your eyes have to move for it to work. Someone could probably use your fingers to get into your phone whether they are attached or not...that’s a helluva thought.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You can’t use a photo for facial recognition and your eyes have to move for it to work. Someone could probably use your fingers to get into your phone whether they are attached or not...that’s a helluva thought.

Wonder what would happen if you used a photo but cut the eyes out and looked through them?

11 hours ago, Badlands Beady said:

If the government wants to see my bank account or my browser history (which I'm much more worried about), they don't need my fingerprint (which they've already been given, many times). I'm much more concerned with some hacker based in Singapore.

I think you have never been to Singapore, perhaps you think it is in China, so mistaken. Shanghai is a far more likely dangerous place.

41 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My phone doesn't even have a format.  It's so old it still runs on kerosene.

Got rid of that wood burner, huh?

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Got rid of that wood burner, huh?

Yeah.  Arizona made it almost impossible to use during fire season.

I sure miss my old spring wound phone, but they stopped making parts for them.  It came as a set with my best pocket watch, the radio, and the razor.

On 2/25/2019 at 8:47 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat:

852605045_JustWokeUpFace.thumb.jpg.cb2d25c8eb04d9eb1a5e9b32207c902f.jpg  Maybe this helps what I meant! ;)

My dog doesn’t even recognize me.

Archived