SASS Wire Forum

Latest status symbol in Silicon Valley

5a9da2ecce0cf_pamperedchickens.jpg.1ff94b5e47f35858ff98cc4f3398928a.jpg

So apparently with nothing better to do with their time and money, the fine folks in California, specifically Silicon Valley have a new status symbol.

Yes, CHICKENS.

They have their own chefs (don't they just eat grains), they get their own clothes, and believe it or not, they get diapers so as not to mess up the condo.

5a9da2f0b02cb_ChickeninaDiaper.jpg.8f6ef9fe54312feadcf1da4f862896bb.jpg

I saw the article. Some spend up to $20,000 to have custom climate controlled,security camera coops built. They like heritage breeds that cost $350+ each. They like blue, green more colorful eggs. One person said if he ended up not liking having chickens that he would have it converted into an airnib? rental. Instead of bringing wine as a gift they will bring a six pack of eggs.

My wife currently has 18 hens and one rooster, who live in their very own condo/coop (security steel walls with a large sliding door and larger sliding window, plus a servants/staff entrance for maintenance/feeding and their home includes (in chicken terms) an outrageous sized yard:) with a covered privacy fence (to keep the raccoons, hawks and foxes out).

They lay green, blue and brown eggs, no white ones.

Who knew she was a trend setter?

Way to go girl!!!!

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Mom had every type of chicken,  duck, goose, turkey, guinea,  quail,  peacock there were.  But we lived on a farm and they were free range for the most part. The only time they were invited into the house, they were guests for supper. :P 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

How did peacock taste?

The obvious answer is, of course, like chicken.

I grew up in Petaluma California, it was at one time the egg basket of the world. There are only 2 things chicken are good for, laying eggs and eating.

I live in Silicon Valley and I had chickens in my backyard when the kids were younger. I have never seen any of the things you talked about, but then I don't live in a ritzy neighborhood, so who knows.

19 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I live in Silicon Valley and I had chickens in my backyard when the kids were younger. I have never seen any of the things you talked about, but then I don't live in a ritzy neighborhood, so who knows.

Slim:

Here is an article to substantiate the claim.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/02/silicon-valley-chicken-status-symbols/

Some owners go so far as to make the chicken coop match their house! :o

5aa0478e2b8a2_TourdeCoup.thumb.jpg.733d621e77072a81ea190d8d808c4814.jpg

Hey,  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but Silicon Valley is a big place and I don't live anywhere near the guys with that sort of money. My house is only 1700 sq.ft. and  valued at 850,000, just a shack compared to what these guys are living in! My chickens use to live in the storage shed that came with the house. I put in a shielded light bulb to keep them warm, no thermometer. I did have a couple that laid blue eggs, but they were much smaller than the normal Barred Rocks and Production Reds that I had, and they were not as friendly either, so they were not replaced when they died. I can't afford to get that fancy with things like that,  I still have a flip phone and a PC. No smart phones anywhere in my house.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:47 AM, The Shoer 27979 said:

I grew up in Petaluma California, it was at one time the egg basket of the world. There are only 2 things chicken are good for, laying eggs and eating.

Amen!  Don't say that in front of my sister in law.  The only way my brother in law can get ride of problem rosters & hens is to feed them to the coyotes, raccoons or  bobcats that wander through their property at night.

Archived