SASS Wire Forum

20 gauge for CAS shotgun?

San Joaquin Shootist

I started with a 20 because that is what I had that fit the game. When my wife started I got her a 20 to keep ammo the same. I have stayed with the 20 because I haven’t wanted to reinvest in guns leather and reloading equipment. That said if someone wants my opinion I would recommend starting with a 12ga. 

I had the same question when I started SASS since I had a 20 gauge.  In addition to what has been stated it appears, to me anyway, the my 12 gauge SxS and my '97's have less recoil. Probably because of the weight.  I have also started using Winchester AA feather lights which are definitely easier on the shoulder than my "regular" 20 gauge if recoil is your concern.

Sheriff Langston.

I started with a 20ga because it was a cheap gun that got me stated, but to be honest, since switching to 12ga, there is less recoil, they shuck easier, and loading is smoother

I use both 12 & 20 and shoot standard skeet loads in each. My 20 gauge CZ lets the shells fall out whereas using the Savage 20 gauge the shells have to be flicked out. This could likely be remedied by polishing the bore. 12 gauges are 97s, but both are old. Never had a failure with any gun to knock down targets. I'm thinking, always a danger, that a 12 gauge side by side may drop shells easier due to the weight of the shells. It might help if I rebuilt the 97s, for which I have parts, but time. The 20 gauge Savage is my favorite quail gun so it mostly gets used for that. If something breaks on the Savage parts can be iffy so it seldom gets  used for either CAS or skeet.

Hello, i used a 20 gauge Rossi for years, then my wife started to shoot matches, she wanted a 97, got one in 12 gauge, so i got tired of buying 12 gauge for her and 20 for me, so i switched to 12 gauge out of convenience, never had issues with shooting the 20. Speed has never mattered to me, i shoot my 12 just as slow as I shot the 20.

take care, stay safe

drd

I've just come off three of shoulder problems ending with a replacement. During that time I needed to shoot the latest weight guns

that I could. I am known for my SKB's and chose a SKB 20ga. It hits the targets hard, is light and they are still affordable.

Johnny Meadows

Been there and Done that.  Won't do it again.  To begin with, for a bazillion years, Water foul and clay bird shooters asked the manufacturers (ammunition) for 20Ga that would perform like a 12.  The ammunition manufacturers were happy to oblige.  Most 20Ga ammunition is heavier recoiling than the same use 12Ga ammunition (Factory).  20Ga shotguns are lighter than 12Ga shotguns.  Couple a lighter shotgun, with heavier recoiling ammunition and the result can be brutal recoil.  There is a solution:

If you must shoot a 20, first have the forcing cones lengthened as much a possible.  Reduces felt recoil.  For factory ammunition, look for "Fiocchi Trainer" ammunition.  Takes down the poppers yet very light recoiling.  Reload.  Don't start with the heavy recoiling Target ammunition (Target ammunition is NOT light recoiling) prowl the range and scrounge fired cases from the barrels.  Then reload to your preference.

Tool up for reloading the Magtech all brass shotshells.   Use a load that does not recoil a lot.  Run 'em through your WWII era pump shotgun and...

Oh wait...  That's what I did for Zoot shooting.   It was fun, worked great, had almost no recoil, and is not SASS legal.

The only way I know of to go 20 gauge in CAS is with a SxS.  Unless you like long shotgun barrels and roll your own light load ammo, it will recoil quite a but.  Winchester never chambered the 87 or 97 for this gauge, so there really aren't any other options.

Hi SJS,

Get a 12 gauge and a MEC shotshell press and reload your own.  Use the Prairie Dawg Lite load.  

Your life will be so much easier and funner!  :P

You will have an easier time borrowing a box of 12 gauge if you happen to forget yours on match day.

12 gauge ammo is always on sale for $50/case or less.  

Mo

Archived