SASS Wire Forum

Uberti "Safety Firing Pin" Question

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

The Miroku Winnys do have a FPS , sort of,  in the rebounding hammer which no longer has the original half cock

notch.  The Mirokus are also notoriously over sprung due to the rebounding hammer.

Doug Turnbull re welds the safety notch and does away with the rebounding hammer and restores

the original functionality, again at a cost.   then again you would then own a TURNBULL!!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

The Miroku Winnys do have a FPS , sort of,  in the rebounding hammer which no longer has the original half cock

notch.  The Mirokus are also notoriously over sprung due to the rebounding hammer.

Doug Turnbull re welds the safety notch and does away with the rebounding hammer and restores

the original functionality, again at a cost.   then again you would then own a TURNBULL!!!

The Miroku 1892 has a rebounding hammer; I did see an article about Turnbull’s offering that eliminates this feature.

Miroku did not put a rebounding hammer on the 1873 but built an internal safety into the firing pin extension.  Pretty sure they did not put a rebounding hammer on the 1866.

On 1/27/2018 at 10:39 PM, Major Crimes said:

In fairness I do have to say I have a Uberti with the Hammer Safety and have never had a problem.

I have fired 2 or 300 rounds through it and it has never failed to go bang.

That may be so, but if it doesn’t have the four clicks might as well buy a Ruger. 

55 minutes ago, County Jr said:

That may be so, but if it doesn’t have the four clicks might as well buy a Ruger. 

While I would prefer the standard 4-click Colt style, I would still buy a new Uberti before a Ruger.

1 hour ago, County Jr said:

When you are shooting a stage at anything other than a snails pace you can't feel any clicks.  The only time this becomes relevant is when sitting around the campfire bloviating about "my gun has FOUR clicks.  Yours dos not so mine must be better."  I have a couple of Colts that if you cock them agonizingly slow enough they have five clicks.  So I guess that to be competitive someone is going to have to go after six clicks.

16 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

When you are shooting a stage at anything other than a snails pace you can't feel any clicks.  The only time this becomes relevant is when sitting around the campfire bloviating about "my gun has FOUR clicks.  Yours dos not so mine must be better."  I have a couple of Colts that if you cock them agonizingly slow enough they have five clicks.  So I guess that to be competitive someone is going to have to go after six clicks.

Most people fire a Colt cause they want authentic. Others mostly seem to fire a Uberti, because they want a authentic look & feel, but either can’t afford or get their hands on a Colt or USFA.  I prefer Colt and Uberti for the authentic feel. However a Ruger seems more durable, but less authentic. Uberti really seems to have no competitive edge over Ruger. Ruger seems to have a competitor edge over Uberti, so if Uberti isn’t gonna have a authentic feel anymore it would make sense to go with the American Ruger that is more competitive & durable IMHO. 

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

When you are shooting a stage at anything other than a snails pace you can't feel any clicks.

Yup.

You can hear all four clicks (sometimes five) when you're watching old episodes of Maverick and playing with the gun.

I can't hear any clicks at all on the firing line while wearing ear protection.

My hearing isn't great these days, another gift from Uncle Sam, but I can definitely hear all of the clicks on my colt. I feel them too when firing. I can hear them even better when other folks are using colts and I'm a spotter. Maybe colts are more pronounced than other guns? I doubt it, but who knows? If my only choices were a ruger vaquero or a clone with 3 clicks, I would choose the clone every day and twice on Sunday.

One can still buy the Uberti that has 4 clicks, just make sure it’s the old model. I’ve bought two new colts over the past year and a half and a Pietta which also has 4 clicks. I bought the first Uberti because it also came with the removable cylinder bushing like the colts have. After replacing the hammer and trigger it’s to my liking now. About a month ago I bought the cavalry model and it is truly a nice six gun. I have rugers also but something about a colt or colt clone that I’m sold on when they operate traditionally.

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I wonder if I could file a couple of knicks into the hammer and get 6 or 7?

On 1/29/2018 at 2:28 PM, Dust'N Bottles said:

I also have 1 Cattleman with the safety hammer  and one Cattleman with the traditional hammer. Both guns have about 1500 rounds through them with out a hiccup. That being said I don't really trust it to be reliable so I recently contacted Taylors and Cimarron looking to get a set of low wide hammers. I was told by Cimarron that they would not sell me parts to convert a safety hammer to a traditional hammer due to possible ATF infractions even if I was to put a two position base pin as the frame is drilled through to accept the old style 2 position pin.  Not sure of the validity of this, however it is what I was told. Moral of the story, don't tell them what you are looking to do.

Also if you're like me and don't want to go doing any home brew gunsmithing, you can contact @BoomStick Jay at Boomstick Arms Co. and he can get them switched over and even put on some blackhawk spurs.  At a very fair price I might add.  

I am in the process of getting 2 new Uberti Gunfighters with the new Safety hammers and larger grips.  They will be replacing the two Uberti Smokewagons I am now using that have the older style fixed firing pin hammers and standard grips.  Once the GFs come in I will be selling my SWs.  They are in 44-40 and have been Taylor Tuned and I have used them for about 2 seasons.   I feel that $600 each shipped would be a good price.  If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

On January 30, 2018 at 11:20 AM, County Jr said:

I hate it when my gun goes "click". I much prefer BANG.

1 hour ago, Lead Monger said:

I hate it when my gun goes "click". I much prefer BANG.

Care to elaborate?  Honestly not sure what your driving at.  Ruger issue or a Uberti  one.... Just to be clear I would still buy a Uberti. Just guess my sale price includes a trip to VTI. 

10 hours ago, County Jr said:

Care to elaborate?  Honestly not sure what your driving at.  Ruger issue or a Uberti  one.... Just to be clear I would still buy a Uberti. Just guess my sale price includes a trip to VTI. 

Have you ever pulled the trigger and heard click when expecting to hear Bang? I hate it when that happens. Nothing to do with brand.

Well, the reason I started this topic is I wanted to know if changing out the hammer and trigger is all I had to do to put a Cimarron/Uberti back to more of an authentic state.  If I have to do some gunsmithing on it, to get it back to a traditional revolver, then that is what I fully intend to do.  I pretty much think that because of this sue-happy world we live in now, that the manufacturers have to try and make their firearms as idiot proof as possible to keep from getting sued too many times.  Hence, at some point, we all may be using virtual firearms, instead of the real thing (good golly, don't tell Gov. Jerry Brown I said that, or it might give him ideas).  Point is, I got into C.A.S., both with S.A.S.S., and the other "step-child" organization (that will remain nameless here), to try and be as authentic as I can with the clothes, hats, boots, spurs, holsters, AND firearms, as I could.  Authenticity is my thing, and not being a "gamer" and having to win all the time.  I could care less if I "win".  This change Uberti has made, is not authentic to the Colt that was available in the old west   It was, perhaps, but no more.  If I wanted a "safety feature" I would purchase a Ruger.  If I have to buy a new Cimarron/Uberti, I WILL change it, at my own expense, and at my own peril, back to a traditional old west type revolver...liability be hanged.  Also, the issue, for me, is not how well the new design works, and how some can shoot trillions of rounds through it without a problem.  The issue for me is authenticity, and unilateral changes in the design that moves the sport farther and farther away from the original designs. 

Now...That is me, and my take on it.  If anyone likes the new design, great....go for it Willie!!!!  But include me OUT.

My Two Bits.

W.K.

29 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Well, the reason I started this topic is I wanted to know if changing out the hammer and trigger is all I had to do to put a Cimarron/Uberti back to more of an authentic state.  If I have to do some gunsmithing on it, to get it back to a traditional revolver, then that is what I fully intend to do.  I pretty much think that because of this sue-happy world we live in now, that the manufacturers have to try and make their firearms as idiot proof as possible to keep from getting sued too many times.  Hence, at some point, we all may be using virtual firearms, instead of the real thing (good golly, don't tell Gov. Jerry Brown I said that, or it might give him ideas).  Point is, I got into C.A.S., both with S.A.S.S., and the other "step-child" organization (that will remain nameless here), to try and be as authentic as I can with the clothes, hats, boots, spurs, holsters, AND firearms, as I could.  Authenticity is my thing, and being a gamer and having to win all the time.  This change Uberti has made, is not authentic to the Colt that was available in the old west   It was, perhaps, but no more.  If I wanted a "safety feature" I would purchase a Ruger.  If I have to buy a new Cimarron/Uberti, I WILL change it, at my own expense, and at my own peril, back to a traditional old west type revolver...liability be hanged.  Also, the issue is not how well the new design works, and how some can shoot trillions of rounds through it without a problem.  The issue for me is authenticity, and unilateral changes in design that moves the sport farther and farther away from the original designs.  That is me, and my take on it.  If anyone likes the new design, great....go for it Willie!!!!  But include me OUT.

My Two Bits.

W.K.

Well if authenticity is your goal, why not skip the uberti and go straight for the Colt?

7 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Well if authenticity is your goal, why not skip the uberti and go straight for the Colt?

Maybe because finding a real Colt is nigh onto impossible and when found too expensive.

1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I believe Colt only has a single gunsmith still assembling new SAAs. And when he retires...

I thought Colt contracted out to Uberti anyway? At least that's what I read on the internet so it must be about as true as your statement.

9 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Maybe because finding a real Colt is nigh onto impossible and when found too expensive.

They can be expensive no doubt, and really hard to find, at least on the cheap. But I have managed to pick up half a dozen over the last four years and the most expensive was $1600. That's including several 3rd gens and one each 2nd and 1st gen. It's not impossible, but it does take work. Or it is really easy to find them if you are willing to pay north of $2000.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I believe Colt only has a single gunsmith still assembling new SAAs. And when he retires...

Who says you have to have a brand new one?

There are plenty of used ones out there.

colts_05_zpse777f03b.jpg

bisley03_zpsa2a15e70.jpg

BisleyColtb.jpg

5a750f27ef568_ColtSAA45ColtFeb2018.jpg.6e5beb68a2b8c994ab212517bfb5db3a.jpg

I just have one second generation Colt SAA in 45 Colt.  It's well used and not nearly up to the game as any of my Uberti Cattleman.   The throats are so big you could kick a fat cat through at .459. 

Also,  in doing your math,  remember you need two.  

6 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

I thought Colt contracted out to Uberti anyway? At least that's what I read on the internet so it must be about as true as your statement.

Take it for what it's worth, but word was getting around last year that Colt was down to just one person building them:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=783538

If that is untrue and Colt actually has a whole team of SAA builders hurriedly trying to catch up to demand I certainly would be most happy.

Well...I do have Colt's that I can go to, if need be.  But....obviously, I had rather use a $600.00 Cimarron/Uberti, than an $1,800, or more Colt, in this sport  wouldn't you????  But, if push comes to shove, I can do that.  It would have been nice if Uberti had included a regular hammer and trigger, in the box, to allow the customer to put in what they wanted to.  That way they can import their revolvers into the U.S. of A., and meet all the "rules", and then I could be the one to choose which I wanted...the new or the traditional.  But, as long as I can obtain a regular hammer and trigger, then I can make the choice.  No problem. 

As I said, many folks will love the new design, and it may work very well for them, and be very dependable.  Don't misunderstand...I think that is fine, and great if that is what you want, and can live with. 

But...unless I am out in the cow pasture, plinking at cans, or cow patty's, I will only load five rounds, and put my hammer down on an empty chamber.  I have been doing that since Moby Dick was a minnow, and long before there was a S.A.S.S.. 

I still do that, even now, with my old Ruger, with the transfer bar safety...though I probably I don't need to.  Even if I had a new Uberti with the "safety hammer", I would still only load five, if I thought I was going to holster the revolver at some point. 

There ya go.

2 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Well...I do have Colt's that I can go to, if need be.  But....obviously, I had rather use a $600.00 Cimarron/Uberti, than an $1,800, or more Colt, in this sport  wouldn't you???? 

Why is that? Myself and many other shooters use colts. They’re not these fragile snowflakes that will fall apart from using them. They were made to be shot. I’ve been using mine for about 3 years or so and haven’t had anything break yet. Hell, I know a guy that shoots with a pair from 1904. Is it the cost that worries you? How many people have rifles that cost over $1500? I know a guy that has a set of rugers that are as expensive as colts after the short stroke, half cock, jimmy spurs action job and custom grips. Quite a few guys shoot skb’s Worth that much as well. It’s what you want to get out of the game that matters, not the label or price tag. 

That pair of 2nd Gen Colts in the first photo are my main match revolvers. I shoot them in almost every match, 45 Colt with Black Powder.

Unless I'm shooting real antiques.

Why is that?  Well, I have two Colt revolvers.  One was made in 1918, one was made in 1922.  Both are in pretty good shape.  But, I am not sure I want to use them in S.A.S.S. matches.  I have probably over fifteen clones, that are newer than my Colt's, and have zero collector value, so that is why I prefer my clones to my Colt's.  I can, and have, and do, shoot my old Colt's, and if push comes to shove, I could use them. It would bother me, using my Colt's that are that old, but yep, I could.  But I prefer to treat those old Colt's with a little more care, considering their age, and collector value.  If I had some 2nd or 3rd generation Colt's, I would have no problem using them, and I certainly think it is fine to use Colt's in C.A.S. matches, if that is what one wants to do. Obviously most of us use clones, since they are pretty authentic, and are not too awfully expensive.      

I think getting back to the original question about having original replacement parts  “ Not this New Hammer nonsense “  is going to be a Win Win for the company who can produce original parts here in the USA.

1st we will have USA made parts for all the old guns and since Uberti seems to not want to make old parts available to service the old guns that a Win for the USA stuff.

2nd if the new USA made parts ( I guessing Hammer and Trigger ) will work in the new Uberti guns as a retro fit and bring the new guns back to the old 4 click action for a reasonable price I say that’s another Win for Us!

This is just my opinion and your results may vary... who knows maybe as we speak there is a company looking into this right now !

3 hours ago, Sharky1528 said:

This is just my opinion and your results may vary... who knows maybe as we speak there is a company looking into this right now !

Over the years Power Custom has made a lot of parts for customizing Rugers.  I don't know if they would be interested in making parts for Ubertis or not. I'm pretty sure that most of Power Custom's parts are made by wire EDM, with maybe a little bit of secondary machining. I don't know if Uberti parts would lend themselves to that process or not.

As far as I can tell, Uberti hammers appear to me to be castings, I'm pretty sure I can see a pebbly finish on parts of the hammer of the one Uberti Cattleman I still own, plus I seem to recall the cam was a cast in feature. It is a separate part pressed into a Colt hammer. I do know that if some body starts making replacement parts for Ubertis, they may or may not be simple drop in parts. Some fitting may be necessary. Don't forget that we are talking about not just the hammer and trigger, but the hand too. It rotates off the hammer in this design, and everything has to be just right for the gun to lock up and cycle properly. That may or may not be possible without some fitting.

Archived