SASS Wire Forum

Great-Grandpa's Trapdoor

Smoken D

Finally got a kill with Great-Grandpa's 1884 Assault Style Trapdoor. Nice size buck but not much on the points only being 6. 90 yard shot through some heavy brush, tree limbs but got him. Not bad for a 132 year old rifle & iron sights for some not so great eyesight. Dropped where he was shot.

006.JPG

010.JPG

excellent,,  I plan on using my sharps some this year,,,  45-70 with a lead bullet,,, don't mess up the meat much with that...

Thanks everyone, of course black powder with a 405 gr bullet. Best of all when I got home the wife had deer roast & noodles from the deer I got a few weeks ago with the bow. Got food for the winter:)

Wish I had one!  :)

Oh, memories of the barrels of Trapdoors for sale at $75 per in the old San Francisco Gun Exchange...  :blush:

Nice.

On a similar note, I hang out on a forum for boolit casters (www.castboolits.gunloads.com).  Every now and then a young buck gets on the board and starts asking whether a .45-70 with a 435 grain cast lead boolit is "enough stopping power" to take a white tail.

Ummmm....that cartridge hunted the bison to near extinction, routinely at distances of 1000 yards.  I'd say it's plenty for a white tail :)

The kids seem to believe that anything new is automatically better, and it must have been SOOOOOO hard to hunt an animal before nuclear-tipped, laser guided ammunition was invented.

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Wish I had one!  :)

Oh, memories of the barrels of Trapdoors for sale at $75 per in the old San Francisco Gun Exchange...  :blush:

Not to go off the trapdoor topic but, I can remember when Sears in Calgary were selling surplus Lee Enfields (303), in barrels, your choice ELEVEN dollars each.

1 hour ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Nice.

On a similar note, I hang out on a forum for boolit casters (www.castboolits.gunloads.com).  Every now and then a young buck gets on the board and starts asking whether a .45-70 with a 435 grain cast lead boolit is "enough stopping power" to take a white tail.

Ummmm....that cartridge hunted the bison to near extinction, routinely at distances of 1000 yards.  I'd say it's plenty for a white tail :)

The kids seem to believe that anything new is automatically better, and it must have been SOOOOOO hard to hunt an animal before nuclear-tipped, laser guided ammunition was invented.

Oh yea, it was overkill on a deer, but I just had to use it at least once on something other than a squirrel around here. I use that same rifle to shoot off my back deck at a target posted around 1,375 yards away. And yes, I can still hit it.:)

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

This thread makes me want to take some of my old guns hunting.  Sometimes I take them on the trip, but I always wind up taking the one I shoot best into the field because I don't get to hunt but once a year and I don't wanna miss out on the meat. 

Practice, sight in, then just do it. You'll never regret ya did!

47 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Great post! I wish "hunting" shows would show stuff like this instead of being infomercials. They generally just bore me, rarely watch them.

JHC

Here is a photo right beside where I shot the fellow, the first photo is the normal look but the second is using telephoto so you can see the tree I was up. Way to the right of the first photo into the brush is where he was shot.

001.JPG

002.JPG

1 minute ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Threading a slug through that stuff took some skill, my friend.  Wow!  :o

Actually I almost did not take the shot. Was out all day, at 7am saw a tail but never the deer. Was raining at 7:30am so I got out of the tree. When I got to the bottom 2 really nice doe's were right behind me and my guns were not loaded and they got away. Was out all day and nothing so I came back to this tree. Was going to quit at 2pm because I had a meeting at 7pm and wanted to get home, shower, and rest a bit before the meeting. At 1:50pm I was looking to the left and when I looked to the right he had already been in that clearing area and was headed into the thicket. Was going to let him go but suddenly decided to grab the rifle and look down the sights and see what I could. Saw him going into the thicket and decided where his heart should be while a small tree limb was also in the path. I went ahead and pulled the trigger figuring a 405gr was going to go through everything. I did not see the hit, smoke and all, but saw him drop right down on his side deader than a door nail. :D Got Cha! By 3pm had him hauled to the barn, gutted, loaded in the back of the truck, and off to Jackman's processing. 

Guest Grass Range #51406

My first buffalo  (free-ranging) was with my trapdoor. One shot behind the ear. Second buff with a C Sharps 40-70 BN

Archived