SASS Wire Forum

Shipping

If you use the main UPS center not a problem, when you use the local shops in storefronts that are affiliated with UPS that's when you have problems. USPS you can ship long guns but only FFLs may ship handguns through USPS.

Individual (non-licensees) may ship long guns by US Postal Service.

Only FFL-holders may ship hand guns via USPS.

To keep it simple however, I suggest only shipping at an official USPS location (a real post office).  I'd call ahead to be sure the Postmaster will be on-site when you go in....postal workers are surprisingly ignorant of USPS regulations. 

Having said the above, I think you may be ahead by having your local FFL handle shipping.  I found my local FFL to be reasonable in that regard....yours may not be.

14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If it's going out of state-it must go to a FFL.

OLG

Shall or you recommend going to a FFL?

Over the last year or so I have shipped a number of long guns to an FFL via USPS. At the beginning of this process I printed off the USPS regulations from their website and highlited all the relevant passages. I take that document with me every time I ship, prepared to argue my case. Haven't had to yet.

22 hours ago, Roanoke Rifleman, SASS #30256 said:

Can you ship a gun with post office legally. 

Seems like a real hassle when I go to ups 

Expensive too.

mistaken and deleted.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Shall or you recommend going to a FFL?

1 hour ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

UPS doesn't need to know what's in the package (long guns). I think your problem is not packing it yourself.

Matt, FFL may be the way-Also gives you a 'paper' trail'. Will be cheaper. To be clear. I meant it must be shipped to an FFL, with few exceptions(antique or C&R).

RR-You are required by federal law to declare it's a firearm to USPS, FedX and UPS. To come on a public firearm forum, and to advise otherwise is less than smart.:rolleyes:

OLG

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Matt, FFL may be the way-Also gives you a 'paper' trail'. Will be cheaper. To be clear. I meant it must be shipped to an FFL, with few exceptions(antique or C&R).

RR-You are required by federal law to declare it's a firearm to USPS, FedX and UPS. To come on a public firearm forum, and to advise otherwise is less than smart.:rolleyes:

OLG

My context was long guns and rules shown on the UPS site. They did refer to "Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code" as a preamble.  Perhaps you could quote what you think requires declaration of the package contents (for long guns) and in the right context. UPS says nothing about needing to inform them about a long gun. I would note that the UPS rules are specific about not using UPS Store outlets for any firearm, needing them to package it. You have to go to a terminal or have a daily scheduled pickup (like my business). You are on your own to use compliant packaging (must be new, unused), but you certainly could purchase a box and take it home to pack there or you could pay a store for packaging and let them pack it. Then you have to leave with the package, since they won't ship it.

23 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Can you quote it?

Oh-You mean this regulation.

Here is exactly what the ATF ‘Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide’ (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Like I said-Your incorrect and careless advice, that you don't have to notify a common carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Is in direct violation of federal law........Advice like yours, could well result in that person from ever again owning/possessing a firearm. To say nothing of court costs and loss of other rights from being convicted of a Federal crime.

Carry on,

OLG

Shipped a rifle to Cody last year at local UPS main terminal. Told the guy that it was a long gun. I told him it was going to an FFL for repair. He insisted that I had a copy of Cody's FFL before he would accept and ship it. A quick phone call to Cody (thank goodness he was in) and he faxed a copy to the UPS terminal. Minor hassle but I got it shipped.

35 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Oh-You mean this regulation.

Here is exactly what the ATF ‘Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide’ (ATF P 5300.4) says:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Like I said-Your incorrect and careless advice, that you don't have to notify a common carrier that you are shipping a firearm. Is in direct violation of federal law........Advice like yours, could well result in that person from ever again owning/possessing a firearm. To say nothing of court costs and loss of other rights from being convicted of a Federal crime.

Carry on,

OLG

Don't call me careless. There is no practical way to know, unless the carrier notes it as a requirement. Post content deleted. Thanks for looking that up.

SS, I have never had to provide a copy of a rec'n FFL. Last gun I shipped was earlier this year. 

Next time, have UPS show you the regs. say'n you have to have this copy. They have the list of all FFL's in their data bank.

BATFE advises FFL's to be very cautious about giving out copies of their FFL to any non-FFL.

FWIW: Many times, I have found the counter folks to be ignorant of their own shipping regulations, and had to get a manager involved.

OLG

3 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

Don't call me careless. There is no way to know, unless the carrier notes it as a requirement.

Yup-Tell that to the Judge, and see how it goes. :rolleyes:

You're shipping a restricted and federally controlled item. It's your responsibility, to know the laws/restrictions about shipment.

Stop dig'n the hole deeper.....

OLG

30 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Shipped a rifle to Cody last year at local UPS main terminal. Told the guy that it was a long gun. I told him it was going to an FFL for repair. He insisted that I had a copy of Cody's FFL before he would accept and ship it. A quick phone call to Cody (thank goodness he was in) and he faxed a copy to the UPS terminal. Minor hassle but I got it shipped.

UPS requires that an FFL ship it or it is being shipped to an FFL. To save hassle, have a copy with you. FFL's are now able to send a digital copy to you and they are also legal for transfers between FFL's.

As stated, USPS requires the shipper be an FFL for regulated firearms like handguns. Long guns may be shipped to yourself at a distant location, otherwise it must be an FFL. At the distant location, only you can take possession. How they regulate that is a mystery but don't get caught sending to anyone else.  UPPS will only ship a handgun if you have a valid FFL. My post office will look it up on the Internet. Every FFL is listed on the BATF's web site. Not all do transfer work but all are listed.  Many FFL's do not sell firearms.

As a note, if you are shipping a long gun pack it well, no matter who the carrier is. I have received broken stocks, on complete rifles, from every carrier. In each case it was poorly packed. I have never received a broke long gun when shipped in an inexpensive plastic rifle case. 

I have a great idea...Read This:

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/205492076-Shipping-firearms-rules-and-restrictions-with-USPS-UPS-and-FedEx

I didn't post this to be a smart alec. If you need info on shipping a firearm go to the source.

Making a mistake can cost you or at the very least be embarrassing. I ship ALL my guns via FedEx. Why? because it's simple and it's reasonably priced. $14.95 - $17.95 for a handgun. Had to edit...my brain was in the late 90's early 00's on this one. The cost is higher now. A bit more for a rifle. USPS and UPS take longer. When I ship a gun I want to get where it's going fast. The longer it takes odds are the easier it is for something to happen to it. 

You can sit around all day reciting regulations or arguing about what you think is right or wrong but all that doesn't matter. What matters is what the carrier will or will not do.

Pat: Last time I shipped a handgun to an FFL through Fed-Ex it cost considerably more than that, more like 45.00, due to it having to go next day shipping.

I have sent long guns to FFLs in many locations from our local Post Office over the last 9 years , and no one has ever asked me what was in the package , other than the "liquid , hazardous , etc. questions they ask for all packages. Lucky for me , have a friendly local FFL (the only one in town) that does the handgun transfers for a nominal fee. Those go USPS also. Usually in a flat-rate box.

I have had to use UPS and FedEx a few times , but it is unhandy. They are 50 miles away.

Rex :D

Oops...Duh....Slim and Lumpy I am mistaken. The price is higher now. The last 2 times S&W paid the freight so I didn't have to pay but it was higher than I expected.

The other thing that gets me is when people say to take it apart and say it's machine parts. There is even a gunsmith in Texas that has that on their website. Folks, if you would have to do a background check on the piece at a gun store, it's a firearm and has to be shipped accordingly! 

If you don't declare it as what it is and it's gets lost in transit, you're screwed! At best, you won't get your insurance claim. At worst, you get reported for breaking the law.,,

13 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

The other thing that gets me is when people say to take it apart and say it's machine parts. There is even a gunsmith in Texas that has that on their website. Folks, if you would have to do a background check on the piece at a gun store, it's a firearm and has to be shipped accordingly! 

If you don't declare it as what it is and it's gets lost in transit, you're screwed! At best, you won't get your insurance claim. At worst, you get reported for breaking the law.,,

A buddy of mine got a visit from the Feds back in the late 90's. Feds as in BATF and the US Marshalls. They hauled his butt in for questioning. He shipped a Mac 10 and an Uzi from the post office or UPS, I can't remember which, in CA to his brother in Texas. He listed the items in the box as machine parts...Idiot!

Long story short, he lost both guns, he was fined a couple thousand dollars and a couple years later this brain surgeon applied for an FFL. The BATF thought so much of him the called him personally to tell him "Not only No, but Hell No". The only reason he got off that light was he was retired Navy and the judge went easy on him. I have no idea what he spent in attorney's fees.

Me personally, I do not play games when it comes to Federal Law and firearms. I like my freedom.

I shipped a long gun last week through Fed Ex, not only did they demand the FFL info they wanted a copy in the box. It was a main drop off location, not a KInko's or any other part time Fedex. They would only ship it Fedex Saver which was 3 days and cost $50. They said I could take it to a ground hub and ship for $25, but I first had to go home and fill out the form on line as they wouldn't take a hand written form or one from the hub I was at. I'll use USPS next time.

Archived