SASS Wire Forum

Dressed for the part

Chili Pepper Jack

14 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I am very much into the costuming as a new shooter, but it is frustrating because of sizing, fit and inability to try on first, expense, and things like the prettiest but subtle colored rags being sold out. Also some of the items get set aside when it is hot, although at our latest match with relaxed dress code, most were still very much in costume, in spite of early temps moving into the 90s.  I read your post as interest in preferences and think it is too bad that responses have to be framed as grumping about the rules and pop psychology.

You are 100% correct on your take of my post it was and interest on how much others enjoy the dressing part of the game. Like I was saying I am 50-50 I haven't found a part of Cowboy Action that I don't like yet and hope I never do! Just wish I had more time and money to commit to it! LOL My dream would be to open a range that is driven toward Cowboy action if I had the money I would build a working town for shoots hotel and all so people who travel would have everything they need in the town! (If you are going to dream, dream BIG)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Participation has fallen off so much the past few years that a typical monthly match that used to draw 35-40 shooters now draws maybe a dozen. In the earlier part of the season, 6-8 is common at some of the ranges. No one wants to send half of them home because of tennis shoes or cargo pants or whatever. One of the clubs is strongly talking of this being the last CAS season at that particular range.

Man I don't like to hear that at all. Have the clubs tried to find new ways to get more people to the shoots? I stumbled onto CAS on youtube thought it looked fun so I found a club within an hour of the house and went to see it in person. After that I was loading a cart with gear!! I don't know how or if we could but I would like to find a way to get more people into it. Again like me I had no idea that such a sport existed until 18 months ago!! 

36 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Jack said:

Man I don't like to hear that at all. Have the clubs tried to find new ways to get more people to the shoots? I stumbled onto CAS on youtube thought it looked fun so I found a club within an hour of the house and went to see it in person. After that I was loading a cart with gear!! I don't know how or if we could but I would like to find a way to get more people into it. Again like me I had no idea that such a sport existed until 18 months ago!! 

In Montana, population density has a lot to do with it - we are the 3rd least densely populated state, behind Wyoming and Alaska. There are probably a dozen CITIES in the US with more people than Montana. I also know several folks who used to shoot regularly who gave it up over the past eight years because of the availability of ammo, primers, powder, bullets, and brass. Even the first tier stuff, like .22 lr, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp was tough to come by. If you wanted .45 Colt or .44-40, fuggedaboutit. I didn't see pistol powders widely available again until late last year/early this year. The first Bullseye powder I came across in several years was at North 40 in Omak, WA last year - they had 4 pounds, and still had a 1 pound limit per customer... fortunately, I had 3 other people with me. :lol: During the worst few years, I had more powder, primers, and guns on hand than Sportsman's Warehouse. I remember the local SW having less than 20 lbs of powder, TOTAL, -0- primers, and fewer than 20 handguns in stock. Single actions? Fuggedaboutit. Nobody wanted single actions, they wanted the high-cap, black plastic spray guns before they were outlawed or banned, so the stores didn't even try ordering single actions cuz they weren't going to sell.
A lot of folks just had to quit shooting, sold their guns, and went back to golf.
Now, if money was no object, and a club could afford a half page ad, host a free Cowboy Action Shooting clinic and perhaps a reloading clinic, and provide loaner guns for a few matches while the new shooter absorbed the cost of a couple grand for guns & leather, maybe it would start expanding again.

When the Cowboy Chronicle was a monthly printed magazine, I would leave our two copies in waiting rooms around town when we were through with them to help spread awareness of the sport, but that's gone by the wayside now too. :(

29 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

In Montana, population density has a lot to do with it - we are the 3rd least densely populated state, behind Wyoming and Alaska. There are probably a dozen CITIES in the US with more people than Montana. I also know several folks who used to shoot regularly who gave it up over the past eight years because of the availability of ammo, primers, powder, bullets, and brass. Even the first tier stuff, like .22 lr, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp was tough to come by. If you wanted .45 Colt or .44-40, fuggedaboutit. I didn't see pistol powders widely available again until late last year/early this year. The first Bullseye powder I came across in several years was at North 40 in Omak, WA last year - they had 4 pounds, and still had a 1 pound limit per customer... fortunately, I had 3 other people with me. :lol: During the worst few years, I had more powder, primers, and guns on hand than Sportsman's Warehouse. I remember the local SW having less than 20 lbs of powder, TOTAL, -0- primers, and fewer than 20 handguns in stock. Single actions? Fuggedaboutit. Nobody wanted single actions, they wanted the high-cap, black plastic spray guns before they were outlawed or banned, so the stores didn't even try ordering single actions cuz they weren't going to sell.
A lot of folks just had to quit shooting, sold their guns, and went back to golf.
Now, if money was no object, and a club could afford a half page ad, host a free Cowboy Action Shooting clinic and perhaps a reloading clinic, and provide loaner guns for a few matches while the new shooter absorbed the cost of a couple grand for guns & leather, maybe it would start expanding again.

When the Cowboy Chronicle was a monthly printed magazine, I would leave our two copies in waiting rooms around town when we were through with them to help spread awareness of the sport, but that's gone by the wayside now too. :(

Always surprising when reloaders can't seem to conceive of getting their preferred supplies by mail order, more than just pocket money. When there is no current hoarding frenzy, everything I need I have been able to find on my timeline, not necessarily winning an award for the lowest price on the planet. Paying HAZMAT and shipping, even a bit of a premium, is better than driving around hoping to get lucky or even better than going to a gun show just to buy supplies. That isn't free and it can be frustrating.

16 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I see so many people anymore taking -0- effort to look cowboy - tennis shoes, cargo pants, t-shirts, even one yahoo that usually wears a ball cap. I see tennis/athletic shoes a LOT anymore, with the excuse, "I have foot problems and can't wear boots".

No safety glasses - staged photo on my own range.

GoodGuyJbar.jpg

Looks like the targets are finally shooting back. 

Agree with Shooting Bull.   Cowboy Action Shooting appeals to so many as long as they meet the requirement. 

Hey CPJ, initially, I had a problem with the "minimalists". If we don't dress the part, then we're just another shooting discipline with cool old guns. I know this is an expensive sport to get into, but try. You may scoff at Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift stores, but you can get some great stuff there and for cheap. You can find "colored" denim pretty easy and look for deals on shirts. I don't expect everyone to dress like Koda Joe (yes, he's a dandy), but if you've been shooting for a while and still wearing blue jeans, a shirt that is barely western looking and a cowboy hat, you could try harder. It bothers me, but I don't say anything as it IS a fantasy sport and we have to do it the way it works for us. The thing that bothers me is "gear cheaters". You know, holsters so close they're almost touching. Really? But that's another story so. Try to make it a little more old west as you go along...you might even like it.

On 7/26/2017 at 8:20 AM, Chili Pepper Jack said:

After finishing my first year in Cowboy action I have noticed that some seem to like dressing the part and some like to dress just enough. Just wondering how some of you feel about getting all dressed for the part? 

I understand that for some it might just come down to economics of getting the clothes and others might just care much more about the shooting. 

I think I am about 50-50 on this love the competition of Cowboy Action but also enjoy the aspect of dressing something like the times. For me just adds to the overall experience of Cowboy action. 

I guess I don't understand a lack of interest in dressing the part. There are plenty of modern gun clubs out there that do not care what you wear. Or what you shoot for that matter. Go and join and be merry in sneakers and a ball cap. 

I do understand that some people would rather dress parallel to their Hollywood heroes on the silver screen versus what they actually wore in the old west. And yes I think there is room for both in CAS. 

But there has to be minimum standards to put the "cowboy" in cowboy action shooting. Otherwise? What are we doing here?

6 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I guess I don't understand a lack of interest in dressing the part. There are plenty of modern gun clubs out there that do not care what you wear. Or what you shoot for that matter. Go and join and be merry in sneakers and a ball cap. 

I do understand that some people would rather dress parallel to their Hollywood heroes on the silver screen versus what they actually wore in the old west. And yes I think there is room for both in CAS. 

But there has to be minimum standards to put the "cowboy" in cowboy action shooting. Otherwise? What are we doing here?

I agree 100% and I think 99.9% of the people who shoot in CAS would agree with you Wapaloosie. We must have standards and the standards must be upheld. I just wanted to see how much some people like to dress up like Cowboys and is that more important to them than the shooting.  

Well dressing up is part of it for sure, but the other big part for me is shooting the cowboy guns themselves. I could be shooting 3 gun competitions or sniper challenges. But I prefer to shoot the guns that are our historical heritage. Something about a Lever action or a six gun that makes my heart jump when I hold them!

I also enjoy riding my horse :)  Being a cowboy is just better!

4 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

Well dressing up is part of it for sure, but the other big part for me is shooting the cowboy guns themselves. I could be shooting 3 gun competitions or sniper challenges. But I prefer to shoot the guns that are our historical heritage. Something about a Lever action or a six gun that makes my heart jump when I hold them!

I also enjoy riding my horse :)  Being a cowboy is just better!

Again I am with you 100% 28 years of my life was using black guns for my job and I am sick of them. I am lucky enough now to be in the position that I can enjoy SAS. I enjoy every part of it the dress, guns, people, but the best part is the targets don't shoot back anymore. We all enjoy different aspects of the game some parts more then others just as long as people are within the rules we shouldn't have a problem with their personal choice. 

11 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

The thing that bothers me is "gear cheaters". You know, holsters so close they're almost touching. Really? But that's another story so. Try to make it a little more old west as you go along...you might even like it.

How are they "gear cheaters" if their rig falls in line with the rules??? 

Hey CPJ, initially, I had a problem with the "minimalists". If we don't dress the part, then we're just another shooting discipline with cool old guns. I know this is an expensive sport to get into, but try. You may scoff at Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift stores, but you can get some great stuff there and for cheap. You can find "colored" denim pretty easy and look for deals on shirts. I don't expect everyone to dress like Koda Joe (yes, he's a dandy), but if you've been shooting for a while and still wearing blue jeans, a shirt that is barely western looking and a cowboy hat, you could try harder. It bothers me, but I don't say anything as it IS a fantasy sport and we have to do it the way it works for us. The thing that bothers me is "gear cheaters". You know, holsters so close they're almost touching. Really? But that's another story so. Try to make it a little more old west as you go along...you might even like it.

Rainmaker you know I am all about dressing the part even in the heat like you I put it on. Your correct people could try harder with the dress but until the rules change it is all good. I think you would lose shooters if people couldn't be minimalist, it would also discourage new shooters due to cost of starting. If you look through all the post some start as minimalist then start enjoying the dress part, and some go the other way. I would also like to see everyone dressed up as much as possible but it is what it is. 

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Chesty SASS # 73317 said:

How are they "gear cheaters" if their rig falls in line with the rules??? 

He might be talking about "gaming" but again falls in the rules all good.  

The thing that bothers me is "gear cheaters". You know, holsters so close they're almost touching.

Gear Maximizers would be more accurate. ;)

3 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Gear Maximizers would be more accurate. ;)

I like that Gear Maximizers, with that I am guilty I did some work on my rifle got a slick SXS and will have my pistols back from Jimmy Spurs tomorrow so I am a proud "Gear Maximizer" who loves a slick gun!:D

I have an easy test.

Each shooter should get on a horse and gallop two laps around an arena. :)

If you and your rig are having a garage sale out there in the arena? Or your sixshooters are jamming you in the hoo hoo. Then your not really set up to be a Cowboy!

We often forget that the number one tool in a Cowboy's arsenal wasn't a gun. It was a rope. Long days in the saddle pushing cows, roping cows, doctoring cows? Your rifle, pistol and ammo had better be well secured to your body or your saddle. Otherwise you wouldn't have it when you needed it.

When I was a young man I owned a association tree saddle and a buscadero holster for my .44 super Blackhawk. They didn't like each other. The cantle was just the right height that it would push my .44 shells out of their loops as I rode down the trail. I would always check with my hand back there and try to push em back down. I lost a lot of shells that way. Anyhow I had Ray Holes build me a slick fork saddle with a high cantle and that fixed the problem. But a lot of old photos shows that with a Mexican loop holster they wore the belt backwards with shell loops forward. Supposedly for ease of loading the six shooter. But you do have to wonder if they knew about my problem 100 plus years ago.

3 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I have an easy test.

If you and your rig are having a garage sale out there in the arena? Or your sixshooters are jamming you in the hoo hoo. Then your not really set up to be a Cowboy!

We often forget that the number one tool in a Cowboy's arsenal wasn't a gun. It was a rope. Long days in the saddle pushing cows, roping cows, doctoring cows? Your rifle, pistol and ammo had better be well secured to your body or your saddle. Otherwise you wouldn't have it when you needed it.

Yup.

:D

On 7/28/2017 at 8:22 AM, Roscoe Regulator said:

Always surprising when reloaders can't seem to conceive of getting their preferred supplies by mail order, more than just pocket money. When there is no current hoarding frenzy, everything I need I have been able to find on my timeline, not necessarily winning an award for the lowest price on the planet. Paying HAZMAT and shipping, even a bit of a premium, is better than driving around hoping to get lucky or even better than going to a gun show just to buy supplies. That isn't free and it can be frustrating.

Guess you don't realize, that many city's outlaw ammo and component shipments to a residence.  ;)

OLG

3 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

I have an easy test.

When I was a young man I owned a association tree saddle and a buscadero holster for my .44 super Blackhawk. They didn't like each other. The cantle was just the right height that it would push my .44 shells out of their loops as I rode down the trail. I would always check with my hand back there and try to push em back down. I lost a lot of shells that way. Anyhow I had Ray Holes build me a slick fork saddle with a high cantle and that fixed the problem. But a lot of old photos shows that with a Mexican loop holster they wore the belt backwards with shell loops forward. Supposedly for ease of loading the six shooter. But you do have to wonder if they knew about my problem 100 plus years ago.

So, if you can't ride, you ain't cowboy enough to play this game. That makes sense. This should reduce the number of shooters by 70% or more I would imagine. You have obviously never seen the rigs that mounted shooters use, because they are way less period correct than most of what you will see at a SASS match. 

2 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

So, if you can't ride, you ain't cowboy enough to play this game. That makes sense. This should reduce the number of shooters by 70% or more I would imagine. You have obviously never seen the rigs that mounted shooters use, because they are way less period correct than most of what you will see at a SASS match. 

Smokestack - It is impossible to educate folks that know everything.

16 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

There are minimum standards.  They're right there in black and white in the Shooter's Handbook.  And as long as people abide by those standards I can't see how anybody can have a problem with that. 

I'm seeing multiple folks say essentially, "If you don't want to dress the way I want you to then you should go find another sport to participate in."  To that I say BULL. (No pun intended)  If I'm abiding by the rules yet I don't meet somebody else's idea of how I should dress then it's them, not me, who needs to go find a different sport. 

14 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

It was meant as a joke!

But the CMSA crowd are barrel racers with speed rigs....yes correct. Not working cowboys....

18 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Smokestack - It is impossible to educate folks that know everything.

Says the guy that's never been to an organized Airsoft event....

8 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

There are minimum standards.  They're right there in black and white in the Shooter's Handbook.  And as long as people abide by those standards I can't see how anybody can have a problem with that. 

I'm seeing multiple folks say essentially, "If you don't want to dress the way I want you to then you should go find another sport to participate in."  To that I say BULL. (No pun intended)  If I'm abiding by the rules yet I don't meet somebody else's idea of how I should dress then it's them, not me, who needs to go find a different sport. 

I think you need to go back and reread all of my post. Because we don't have a beef here.

8 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

It was meant as a joke!

But the CMSA crowd are barrel racers with speed rigs....yes correct. Not working cowboys....

I would bet good money that MOST Americans in the 1870s were also not working Cowboys. Food for thought. 

On 7/26/2017 at 9:35 AM, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Oh chili you opened up a can! I like dressing the part, I shoot black powder, I hang out with good people! Hard to understand people who spend thousands of $ on guns and leather but have a hard time justifying $40 for trousers and suspenders.

Rafe

You seem to be 100% correct that can is open and all over the counter! 

What is your impression in SASS? Are you a NYC banker? Lawyer? School teacher?

Because I'm simply talking about Cowboy impressions from the standpoint of a reenactor. IF you want your impression to be authentic? Then you may want to consider how that impression interacts with a horse and a saddle. That's all.

If you could care less? Awesome.

Creeker came after me with a hatchet in my Cowboy Airsoft thread, because of authenticity. Now I understand WHY. I'm not the guy at the SASS shoot that looks down my nose at anyone. And I've always been dang liberal with loaning out gear and guns in all my sports. And I agree that SASS has a minimum standard, and so long as your above it? Great.

But there are those of us who ENJOY reenacting and authenticity.....it's not a crime either.

6 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

What is your impression in SASS? Are you a NYC banker? Lawyer? School teacher?

Because I'm simply talking about Cowboy impressions from the standpoint of a reenactor. IF you want your impression to be authentic? Then you may want to consider how that impression interacts with a horse and a saddle. That's all.

If you could care less? Awesome.

Creeker came after me with a hatchet in my Cowboy Airsoft thread, because of authenticity. Now I understand WHY. I'm not the guy at the SASS shoot that looks down my nose at anyone. And I've always been dang liberal with loaning out gear and guns in all my sports. And I agree that SASS has a minimum standard, and so long as your above it? Great.

But there are those of us who ENJOY reenacting and authenticity.....it's not a crime either.

If you know me, you'd know that I am not a person who looks down at the way anyone chooses to play this game so long as they are within the rules. I personally dress more than most but less than a few. There is no right answer on what is enough. I hope you don't take my comments as an attack on you or your ideals. Just conversation. That's all. 

26 minutes ago, Smokestack said:

If you know me, you'd know that I am not a person who looks down at the way anyone chooses to play this game so long as they are within the rules. I personally dress more than most but less than a few. There is no right answer on what is enough. I hope you don't take my comments as an attack on you or your ideals. Just conversation. That's all. 

No worries!

Archived