SASS Wire Forum

Dressed for the part

Chili Pepper Jack

After finishing my first year in Cowboy action I have noticed that some seem to like dressing the part and some like to dress just enough. Just wondering how some of you feel about getting all dressed for the part? 

I understand that for some it might just come down to economics of getting the clothes and others might just care much more about the shooting. 

I think I am about 50-50 on this love the competition of Cowboy Action but also enjoy the aspect of dressing something like the times. For me just adds to the overall experience of Cowboy action. 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh chili you opened up a can! I like dressing the part, I shoot black powder, I hang out with good people! Hard to understand people who spend thousands of $ on guns and leather but have a hard time justifying $40 for trousers and suspenders.

Rafe

When I started virtually eveyone dressed the part. IMO the dress code fell a great deal as the targets got closer and bigger, all lined up next each other, and the game playing declined. Bam bam bam, next shooter, repeat.

Snakebite

6 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Oh chili you opened up a can! I like dressing the part, I shoot black powder, I hang out with good people! Hard to understand people who spend thousands of $ on guns and leather but have a hard time justifying $40 for trousers and suspenders.

Rafe

Didn't want to open a can Race Conager! LOL 

I am with you on the people that is what keeps me going to as many shoots as I can, always good people and good fun. It makes no difference to me if they are all in on dressing the part just be within the rules. Might have started this due to the wife giving me grief about playing Cowboy all the time! LOL

What you've stumbled upon is actually the beauty of this game, there's something for EVERYBODY.  On one end of the spectrum are folks that don't care spit about competition, they just enjoy getting into character and being among good friends.  On the other end of the spectrum are folks that don't care spit about the costuming, they just enjoy getting out there and burning up the stages as fast as possible.  And you have an infinite number of possibilities in between.  They're all well within the rules, they're all having fun, they're all part of this great big family we call SASS.  You do what makes you most happy.  Enjoy!

I went to a Shoot fully dressed in my Grandads "Ranching Duds" Ranch founded in 1870  from the Spurs to the Hat, including Underwear ....

All clothes were what he wore on the Ranch on a Daily basis ( by 1900 he was to big to fit these Duds so they were Stored) and I could NOT even win the best dressed Working Cowboy contest .....  SO ,,, sometimes I think there are those with "Preconceived  Notions" of what Folks wore in the day that are talking through their Hat , and wouldn't know a real Cowboy if he came up and Shot them ...

But yes All should try and dress "Cowboy" to make it a better day for all ...

Jabez Cowboy

21 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

When I started virtually eveyone dressed the part. IMO the dress code fell a great deal as the targets got closer and bigger, all lined up next each other, and the game playing declined. Bam bam bam, next shooter, repeat.

Snakebite

Yeah, I always try to call ahead and ask how far away the targets are so I know what shirt to wear... O.o

12 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

For me it's about 80% shooting and 20% clothes, maybe even 90% shooting and 10% clothes.  I like to see folks dressed up (think Koda Joe), but boots, jeans, a decent shirt and a good cowboy hat are all I want.

I would need to sale everything to dress like Koda! 

Jack:

As long as the HUMIDITY doesn't drench me, I really like dressing the part of my alias.

5978a9c6ee1d8_FatherKitCoolGunGarth-Front.JPG.ce8085683db184345a6c54a424a90779.JPG

However....if the HUMIDITY gets too much, I'll consider my back-up outfit. :blink:

5978aa881762a_OldWestNightShirt-RESIZED.jpg.0602378e789bc8309dca91f6edb93ace.jpg

51 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

I went to a Shoot fully dressed in my Grandads "Ranching Duds" Ranch founded in 1870  from the Spurs to the Hat, including Underwear ....

All clothes were what he wore on the Ranch on a Daily basis ( by 1900 he was to big to fit these Duds so they were Stored) and I could NOT even win the best dressed Working Cowboy contest .....  SO ,,, sometimes I think there are those with "Preconceived  Notions" of what Folks wore in the day that are talking through their Hat , and wouldn't know a real Cowboy if he came up and Shot them ...

But yes All should try and dress "Cowboy" to make it a better day for all ...

Jabez Cowboy

Got any pictures of that getup? 

For me this sport is 90% about the shooting, 70% about the people, and 50% about the costuming.  Yes I know that adds up to over 100%, but I really like it a lot. 

Oh and I should point out that most of that 50% about the costumes is costumes on other people.  I don't look at my own self very often, so I don't get much enjoyment out of it.  There's just that one saloon stage with the mirror in the middle that scares the bejeezus out of me every single time. 

I dress pretty much to the minimum, as that is what I'm most comfortable with.

My wife:wub:, Ima Schofield, who is an award wining Victorian dress maker.  Goes the full 'nine-yards', as that is what she enjoys.

OLG

1 hour ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I think we need to embrace both......as long as they meet the requirements. Otherwise we might be all dressed up and have no place to go. 

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

What you've stumbled upon is actually the beauty of this game, there's something for EVERYBODY.  On one end of the spectrum are folks that don't care spit about competition, they just enjoy getting into character and being among good friends.  On the other end of the spectrum are folks that don't care spit about the costuming, they just enjoy getting out there and burning up the stages as fast as possible.  And you have an infinite number of possibilities in between.  They're all well within the rules, they're all having fun, they're all part of this great big family we call SASS.  You do what makes you most happy.  Enjoy!

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

When I started I wore the minimum.  As time went on, I dressed the part more.  Now I routinely could qualify for Classic with what I wear.  Now if I only had the irons to qualify as well I might just go Classic.

1 hour ago, Smokestack said:

Yeah, I always try to call ahead and ask how far away the targets are so I know what shirt to wear... O.o

Just saying that the game has changed. Dressing to the max used to be more important than it is now.

3 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Just saying that the game has changed. Dressing to the max used to be more important than it is now.

Gas prices are up too. Although I don't think that has as much to do with target distance as it does what scoring systems they are using at EOT. 

I wear cowboy boots, vest with a pocket watch, cowboy shirt, a scarf and a good hat but I've got used to wearing jeans (Sorry Tex) they're just more comfortable than the cowboy pants.:)

My avatar is pretty much how I dress the part!

I think there's an element who enjoy "dressing down" and who hold in contempt those who make an effort to dress up cowboy.  They fail to realize that only good manners keep many others from asking them to just go home.  Some others obviously show up in the clothes they wear working their ranch, "period" though they may not be.  Others dress the part all the way.

22 minutes ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

I think there's an element who enjoy "dressing down" and who hold in contempt those who make an effort to dress up cowboy.  They fail to realize that only good manners keep many others from asking them to just go home.  Some others obviously show up in the clothes they wear working their ranch, "period" though they may not be.  Others dress the part all the way.

Maybe there are folks like that in your neck of the woods, but I'm not aware of any minimalists around here who hold other cowboys in contempt for the way they dress.  Personally I admire the dedication of a cowboy like Koda Joe who comes to shoot on a 90+ degree, 90%+ humidity day wearing chaps, a vest, cuffs, scarf, etc.

Based on your statement it appears that if there's contempt it flows the other way.  Ever heard of projection?  Good manners aren't the only reason people aren't asked to go home, the fact that the minimalists aren't violating any rules probably plays a part too.

23 minutes ago, Cat Brules, SASS #14086 said:

Pretty wide 'brush' you are using with that large bucket of 'assumption' .......... -_-

I for one have never seen this 'contempt' you speak off.

I dress to the minimum(I do live in the Mojave Desert, BTW), But I'm well within the 'scope' of the dress code.

But, you are the one speaking about manners-HUH? :rolleyes:

OLG

I usually shoot FCD, even though I dress for Classic Cowboy, mostly 'cause I don't always want to shoot my hammer double. I like the costuming aspect of this sport. If I just wanted to shoot old style guns I could do that at the range anytime.

I don't care if people dress in the minimum or go 100% all the time like Koda Joe as long as they are with the rules it is fine by me. I think just as long as everyone is having a good time doing what they enjoy and getting along everything is good. 

I have never seen any contempt for anyone at the clubs I shoot at one way or the other. I don't think that the Cowboys running the shoots would ever let that slide and they shouldn't. Respect and fellowship for and of other shooters is why I am with Cowboy action shooting and not looking back. 

My name is Sixgun Seamus and I am a clothes whore.:D:D

OK, I said it.

I really enjoy the aspect of dressing up and playing cowboy on weekends. Even though I have never shot Classic, my outfit would easily qualify. On really hot days, I might not wear chaps. I did win best dressed working Cowboy at Georgia State this year but I think that was because I was one of the few idiots to wear shotgun chaps in that heat.

BTW - Koda Joe is my hero. You'll probably never understand till you see Koda at a shoot. He is one fine dresser.

7 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

My name is Sixgun Seamus and I am a clothes whore.:D:D

OK, I said it.

I really enjoy the aspect of dressing up and playing cowboy on weekends. Even though I have never shot Classic, my outfit would easily qualify. On really hot days, I might not wear chaps. I did win best dressed working Cowboy at Georgia State this year but I think that was because I was one of the few idiots to wear shotgun chaps in that heat.

BTW - Koda Joe is my hero. You'll probably never understand till you see Koda at a shoot. He is one fine dresser.

"Clothes whore" now that is funny!! You are 100% correct about Koda that man lives and breaths dressing up! I guy I know that has a Texas Star in his living room!

my wife laughs at me, I never worry about what I wear in everyday life, jeans, shorts, sweats t-shirt don't care if they match. Then a cowboy shoot happens and I lay out my outfit, spend time laying everything looks good, boots polished etc. took 2 weeks to get my clothes together for EOT!

Rafe

Rafe

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Maybe there are folks like that in your neck of the woods, but I'm not aware of any minimalists around here who hold other cowboys in contempt for the way they dress.  Personally I admire the dedication of a cowboy like Koda Joe who comes to shoot on a 90+ degree, 90%+ humidity day wearing chaps, a vest, cuffs, scarf, etc.

Based on your statement it appears that if there's contempt it flows the other way.  Ever heard of projection?  Good manners aren't the only reason people aren't asked to go home, the fact that the minimalists aren't violating any rules probably plays a part too.

Disabuse yourself of those ideas, cap. 

5 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

my wife laughs at me, I never worry about what I wear in everyday life, jeans, shorts, sweats t-shirt don't care if they match. Then a cowboy shoot happens and I lay out my outfit, spend time laying everything looks good, boots polished etc. took 2 weeks to get my clothes together for EOT!

Rafe

Rafe

I get the same from my wife, she thinks it if funny how much I like to get ready for the shoot.

Besides doing CAS I also do Cowboy Reenacting and I always dress the part in both hobbies.  I even get to fill in occasionally at a local amusement park that has a Wild West shoot out.  I guess I am just a closet cowboy from way back.

The Cowboys shooting at our Club come from all walks of life; however, once on GOD's soil at the shooting range, we do our best to represent the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting, all the way from dressing the part, as well as shooting the part. :P

Here are some typical examples:

5978e509f2372_CowboyPosed-RESIZED.jpg.e36c2a36a7dbdfc80c5ef0c5b6e2853b.jpg5978e4fd661dd_Cowboy2-RESIZED.jpg.51b3352cc60d3e8a3b6edc8a1cf4a354.jpg5978e5106ace4_JohnnyReb-RESIZED.jpg.5254fa7ccd7f8ddfb76337505025e4e8.jpg

5978e5049bf73_CowboyFancy-RESIZED.jpg.41e1cabee0f698267e198018183fd437.jpg5978e51573693_SantaFeRiverStan-RESIZED.jpg.9b4d3621fef85cde4563722285b77c0e.jpg

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

He has no "neck of the woods", he doesn't even shoot....

1 hour ago, Chili Pepper Jack said:

I don't care if people dress in the minimum or go 100% all the time like Koda Joe as long as they are with the rules it is fine by me. I think just as long as everyone is having a good time doing what they enjoy and getting along everything is good. 

I have never seen any contempt for anyone at the clubs I shoot at one way or the other. I don't think that the Cowboys running the shoots would ever let that slide and they shouldn't. Respect and fellowship for and of other shooters is why I am with Cowboy action shooting and not looking back. 

Nope, I'd send'em home....we don't cotton to that kind of behavior "round here.

Kajun

Archived