SASS Wire Forum

In search of the most sensitive shotshell primer

Wondering if anyone knows which 209 primer is THE most sensitive. I have a special application where a light hammer spring is needed. I am using Federals currently but wondering if there is anything softer out there that anyone has experience with. Thank you in advance for the info. Deuce

Deuce

I need a good shipping address for you so I can send you this world speed rifle award to you.

Send it to me in private.

Ace

My experience has directed me to Cheddite Shotgun primers. They are a tad larger in diameter and don't seat quite as deep.

They are the only primers that woud consistantly fire in my BSS before I replaced the weak springs.

Primers.png

Just now, Shotgun Clay said:

OOPS

I do that kind of stuff ALL the time :lol:

another ooooppss!

Deuce,

Only help I can give you is on performance.  With our use of (normally), very reduced powder charges, and then of course the low pressures accompanying such loads, the very hot Federal 209A primers with their white hot aluminum particle release will ensure better powder burns and better consistency than any of the other primers.

It would also seem quite likely that since their rifle and pistol primers are soft faced, that the same material would be used in their Shot Shell primers too.  Can't vouch for that, but it seems reasonable.  They do manufacture their own primers.

RBK  

Fiocchi 

I am not sure if it is the softest, but I have never had a FTF from my Winchester primers (now I know I just jinxed myself)

I've found Cheddite primers to be the most reliable in my brass shotshells. I use 'em in my plastic shells too!!

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

Cheddites are recommended by the gunsmith that does the action work on my shotguns. The cups are flat and flush

MTC.

I have a friend that teaches skeet shooting. He told me the same thing about Cheddites. They are so soft according to him some firing pins on stock guns can even punch through them. This is ALL second hand info so take it for what it is. I did use some and they are slightly bigger than Federals so they will enlarge the prime pocket a bit if that matters. 

Often when folks think they are getting a light shotgun firing pin strike, they actually are getting a short strike - due to either fouling buildup in the action or damage to FP or a double that is starting to open a gap between standing breech and the chambers.  Or due to the design of the primer cup and battery cup shell.

Cheddite primers seem to solve a lot of problems (either temporarily or permanently) because they have a primer cup that is set very flush and is made with a very flat face.   Federal 209A primers have a real "design flaw" in that they use a very rounded top primer cup, and the equipment used to set the cup into the primer battery shell sometimes sets the primer cup deeper than flush.   Both problems make it possible for a FP not to hit a Fed 209A well enough to light it off, just due to the physical tolerances rather than the hardness of the primer cup material.

My TTN external hammer gun hits primers not-very-deeply (short firing pins I guess).   It fails to fire with some lots of Feds.  It has not failed to fire with Cheddites one time in last 3 years.

Bottom line - another + vote for trying Cheddites.

Good luck, GJ

line up one each of all the primers you are interested in. 

with a straight face say to all of them "you're little sister is a LOT prettier than you..."

which ever primer cries the hardest is the most sensitive.

you're welcome.

5 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Often when folks think they are getting a light shotgun firing pin strike, they actually are getting a short strike - due to either fouling buildup in the action or damage to FP or a double that is starting to open a gap between standing breech and the chambers.  Or due to the design of the primer cup and battery cup shell.

Cheddite primers seem to solve a lot of problems (either temporarily or permanently) because they have a primer cup that is set very flush and is made with a very flat face.   Federal 209A primers have a real "design flaw" in that they use a very rounded top primer cup, and the equipment used to set the cup into the primer battery shell sometimes sets the primer cup deeper than flush.   Both problems make it possible for a FP not to hit a Fed 209A well enough to light it off, just due to the physical tolerances rather than the hardness of the primer cup material.

My TTN external hammer gun hits primers not-very-deeply (short firing pins I guess).   It fails to fire with some lots of Feds.  It has not failed to fire with Cheddites one time in last 3 years.

Good luck, GJ

+1

I was finding FEDs were have a .003 differnce in depth from edge to primer face,,  Cheddite...

16 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Good luck, GJ

+2

Archived