SASS Wire Forum

After 65 years the Doc wants me to bend over

Clay Mosby

Clay, I just went through one last thursday. The prep is the pits, but this time the Doc gave me a little different way to do it. 4 tbsp of Milk of Magnesia  in the evening two days before, of course the next day is just clear liquids or jello all day, said I could have black coffee,too. Then the evening before, 4 Dulcolax at 5 P.M., followed by 238g bottle of Miralax mixed with 64oz. of Gatorade at 6 P.M.. drink mix every 20 minutes till gone. No red or purple Gatorade,though. I used one of the blue colored ones. Cleaned me out right good,I'll say, but was more palatable. Unfortunately, the wife can't refer to me as a perfect ***hole anymore. They found one polyp, removed and Doc says it didn't look like it was a problem child, biopsy result not back yet. They also found diverticulosis in the upper reaches. They gave me a good nap during the procedure, was over in no time. I'm now a member of the three year do-over club,though:rolleyes::o:(:blush:

Been doing the fecal test every year for the last few years this year the doc decided I get the full treatment.  They told me I have to take half of the prep 5 hrs before, so I have to get up at 2:30 am to start drinking the stuff.

Don't mind doing it, just not looking forward to the whole experience.

21 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

Been doing the fecal test every year for the last few years this year the doc decided I get the full treatment.  They told me I have to take half of the prep 5 hrs before, so I have to get up at 2:30 am to start drinking the stuff.

Don't mind doing it, just not looking forward to the whole experience.

Yeah, I don't think it's anybody's idea of a good time, but it can save your life. I've had one relative and two friends killed by colorectal cancer. :(

JHC

On 4/17/2017 at 8:19 PM, Clay Mosby said:

Yup, at age 65 my number came up and the Doc wants me to have a colonoscopy! Oh whoopie sneaker laces!! I go in next Tuesday and the thing I'm dreading the most? They told that I can't have any coffee from midnight Sunday until after I get home on Tuesday!!  That is gonna suck. 

When you say Doc where do you want me to put my paints ?

Last Thing you want to hear from the Dr. Is.

Over there by MINE ! LOL 

Getting peace of mind from a colonoscopy beats the hell out of the alternative.  My father died from colon cancer that mastisized into the liver, all of which could have been prevented IF he would have continued getting a colonoscopy on a regular basis.  Six years before his passing he said "not ever again" to the procedure.

JUST DO IT!

First one I had involved fasting for a day and just lime jello and water.

Day of the GREAT EVENT, I am laid out and the techie is using a high pressure hose to pump barium or some such in THE WRONG DANG WAY, and to add insult to injury insert a plug, THE WRONG %$##%^&*(* WAY.

Then the *(*&^%#&*(* takes off and leaves me for a bit until the Doctor/Techie and nurse come in, after finishing their coffee, while I suffer in silence.

Them: This will take a few minutes.

ME: That plug is slipping!

Them: It can't.

ME: It's slipping.

THEM: Impossible. Never happens.

ME (Clenching): DANG IT! I tell you I feel it slipping!!!

THEM: Don't worry that can nev............OH %*^^%$$

Ever see a barium coated examination room? The coated personnel reminded me a little of marble statues.

The upside was the shots they got showed right to my appendix and that I was "clear".

1 hour ago, Clay Mosby said:

Damn Trigger Mike, I wish I had your team. I was told emphatically no coffee.

I got the lemon flavor pack. Any one know if it's good or bad??

My doc said coffee was fine also without creamer, of course.

I'm still lobbying for coffee, but have doubts I'll be successful. 

I'm thinking I may taste the prep without the flavor pack first to see if that is more tolerable.

Through the first half of the clean out, so far so good.  A couple of observations. 1) I always thought I was a bubble or so off plumb, and realizing I didn't really mind the taste of the prep just confirms it. To me it tastes a lot like flat seltzer water, and refrigerated it was not unpleasant to drink.  2) I took a very, very, very tiny taste of the lemon flavor pack that came with it and good Lord Amighty that stuff is vile!!  Thank God I didn't mix that stuff in before testing.  The stuff would have been almost undrinkable if I had.

Anyway, tomorrow at 2:30am Pacific Time I take the other half for a 7:30 appt, so hopefully by noon or so I might be headed home.

I've done it twice, coffee (I drink it black) was considered a clear liquid, but I'd go with your doc's instructions. I didn't think it tasted that bad either. I did the 4 liter prep with orange pack the first time, last time a MoviPrep. Last one was plenty sweet, but not too bad.

JHC

Clay, I have a feeling your Doc is old school...or sadistic.:angry:

Coffee without creamer is fine up to when you start drinking the "wonder Elixir".

The only thing they DO NOT want you drinking / eating a few days before is berry juices and berries. It dies your intestine reddish and masks possible problem areas.

Colonoscopies are the number one leading causes of diarrhea in people over 50

One of my cyber friends' wife is a GI doc, done lawdknows how many of them. One guy showed up and they had to cancel the procedure. Seems his idea of a clear liquid diet was vodka, showed up snot slinging drunk! Actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. A body shouldn't have to do that sober to start with! :lol:

JHC

Everything went smoothly this morning. 8 polyps found and removed, none looked  to be of any concern, will get results in two weeks. They said here comes the medicine and 30 seconds later they were telling me it was over! :)

I had a endoscopy (mouth/stomach) AND a colonoscopy the same day a few years back......

Before they put me under, I told the Doc I would sure appreciate it if he performed the endoscopy FIRST ;)

Archived