SASS Wire Forum

Latest on Gander Mtn.

DocWard

I got the word today, and it appears my thoughts on the original thread were correct, mostly.

The chain will be filing Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, or should have already done so. This will be done for protection while the company reorganizes. 32 stores, mostly in the south and southwest will be closing. This will leave well over 100 stores, including the one I work at, open. Hopefully, Uno's store will remain open as well.

The bigger news is that the chain will be put up for sale as a going concern. To whom is unclear. That one I didn't see coming.

Doc; 

My store will remain open.

We've heard for a long time that the principle and minor investors were looking to sell. 

Strap yourselves in! This flight's gonna suck, and we don't serve peanuts!

Not to hi-jack but it appears the Bass Pro / Cabela's deal may fall through. Maybe one of those might buy Gander Mountain and you gents won't be out of a job.

This reminds me of a real-life corporate game of monopoly. Many years ago I had a sizeable order in with Herters when they went out of business. They sold good stuff at reasonable prices, including some stuff that nobody else sold. Cabelas now sells some ammo under the Herters brand. Then Cabelas bought out Gander Mountains' catalog business. I hadn't called in my order yet, so I wasn't too disappointed. Gander Mountain kept its retail stores (In which prices are way too high). Now Bass Pro wants to buy Cabelas. Sportsmans Warehouse has prices considerably lower than Cabelas. but closed a bunch of their stores a few years ago. There is a Sportsmans Warehouse store here in Cheyenne, still with good prices, but lousy selection. The two nearest Cabelas stores are in Sidney Nebraska and Thornton Colorado, both over 100 miles away and as a Wyoming resident I can't buy handguns from either one. 

If I need something any of them sell I have to do research to find out who's still in business and where they are.

The O'Meara Himself

Went through being bought out more times than I'd like to remember , it's seems big business doesn't want to work for growth, just buy other companies ( I've seen them way over paid more than once).  That's why I try to buy and shop at the little guys shop even if it costs a little more

Retail in the age of the internet... It's not for sissies. 

And thrice damn the bastard that monopolizes my time asking to be shown every variant of CCW handguns, only to announce he's now able to "buy it on the internet with confidence."

6 minutes ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Retail in the age of the internet... It's not for sissies. 

And thrice damn the bastard that monopolizes my time asking to be shown every variant of CCW handguns, only to announce he's now able to "buy it on the internet with confidence."

Yeah, been there a few times myself. Had a few get annoyed when I told them there is a transfer fee after they asked.

I have to ask, how many times a day are you being asked a variation of "when are you closing?"

5 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Yeah, been there a few times myself. Had a few get annoyed when I told them there is a transfer fee after they asked.

I have to ask, how many times a day are you being asked a variation of "when are you closing?"

Or "When's da liquidation sales start?" Vultures. 

I'd say 75-80% of my meaningful customer contacts mention it.  To the good, it's brought in a lot of people in who never visited the store before.

I quoted one egregious example twice the FFL transfer fee.  And I'd have charged him that amount. 

Looks like the store in Sherman, TX made the cut, while the one in Texarkana is closing.  The Texarkana store did a lot of business until Academy opened a store across the street.  Now you can't find a parking place at Academy, and the Gander Mountain parking lot might have two cars in it.

28 minutes ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

Looks like the store in Sherman, TX made the cut, while the one in Texarkana is closing.  The Texarkana store did a lot of business until Academy opened a store across the street.  Now you can't find a parking place at Academy, and the Gander Mountain parking lot might have two cars in it.

I really hate that.  On my trips to Little Rock I would always stop at the Texarkana GM to stretch my legs and shop for bargains.

• 1 month later...

Breaking:

17 Gander Mountain stores will be sold to Camping World and kept open as a going concern. The rest will be liquidated. 

Retail in the internet age is not for sissies. 

35 minutes ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Breaking:

12 Gander Mountain stores will be sold to Camping World. The rest will be liquidated. 

Retail in the internet age is not for sissies. 

Camping World????  I can only guess they are being purchased for their property and will not remain as sporting goods stores.

My word.....

The local GM here said they are staying open .

Grandville Michigan .

4 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

if anyone gets real info on the gander credit cards, please post.

Info as verified as possible pleezze.

Best

CR

CR, I'm no longer with Gander ;) , but the credit card is expected to continue largely unchanged. The credit card company has separate owners. It might be rebranded to another name. 

Reuters article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-update-1-camping-world-led-group-wins-bankruptcy-auction-for-gander-mountain-2017-4

April 28 (Reuters) - The largest U.S. recreational vehicle dealer, Camping World Holdings Inc, and a group of liquidators won a bankruptcy auction for sporting goods retailer Gander Mountain Co on Friday, according to a bankruptcy court filing.

Camping World, which is run by Marcus Lemonis, a star on CNBC TV's reality show "The Profit," plans to operate at least 17 Gander Mountain stores as a going concern, the sources said. An auction for Gander Mountain's remaining more than 100 leases will be held later, the sources said.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Well... it could work out, but the term "group of liquidators" doesn't sound good.  :mellow:

It seems the way of doing business nowdays is for "investors" to buy a company, get rid of as many employees as possible, sell off all of it's assets bankrupting the company.

You know i have mixed feelings on these closings, i live in a small town and we had a gander mtn move in, put two smaller sporting goods out of business, so now the only place to get ammo is walmart or gander mtn neithier of which i like, but i like walmart a lot less than gander, that being said most of the sales people at the gander are a bunch of ying yangs not all of them but most, are there good people that work there yes but a lot are not.

just my 2 cents 

Well, only me and the other supervisor in today. The store manager wasn't, and I was a bit busy to call the district manager and get his take. Not that I would. To be safe, the next week or so is going to be spent going over the resume yet again, and sending it out to as many likely places as possible. The backup backup plan will be to see if I can borrow enough money to get some office furniture and about six months or so of a lease and start back into practice.

12 hours ago, DocWard said:

Well, only me and the other supervisor in today. The store manager wasn't, and I was a bit busy to call the district manager and get his take. Not that I would. To be safe, the next week or so is going to be spent going over the resume yet again, and sending it out to as many likely places as possible. The backup backup plan will be to see if I can borrow enough money to get some office furniture and about six months or so of a lease and start back into practice.

Best of luck to you.

6 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Best of luck to you.

Thanks. Hopefully things will shake out OK. Still no official word.

Of course, if all else fails,

Don't hang around hoping to survive intact.  Get out and take your knowledge, expertise and unwritten business practice and procedure with you NOW.  If they want you to stay, don't.  They'll fire you when they think they've squeezed all they can out of you.  Tell them you'll stay on as an independent contractor.  There's a lot to know if you go that route.

That's my advice, anyway.

Archived