SASS Wire Forum

Gun Ads From the Past

Subdeacon Joe

Wow! That is somethin'.

Without trying to get political...perhaps it's time that the "gun culture" which includes all of us and the companies that sell them quit playing the PC game. We allow "them" to pull us around by our noses....enough about that.

That ad for the Mattel M16 Marauder sure brought back memories. I had one when I was 7 or 8. I didn't get one when they first came out. I got mine in '68 or '69. If I remember right it sounded real, real to me anyway. I know it sounded real enough to scare the daylights out my beloved Uncle Tom as he was napping on our couch. Hahaha

Imagine a Marlin 1894 for $11.00! Then again a dollar went a lot further then...and wages back then were a lot lower too.

Thanks for the post, Subdeacon Joe.

Scrolling thru that series of ads was painful when I got to the Colt page. Still have nightmares about the Colt 357 that I had with 3-digit serial number , and stupidly traded off. And this was only 20 or so years ago. Ah , well , just one more in a plethora of "the ones that got away".

Need an emoticon with a tear running down cheek. Rex :D

I suspect that ad was made by Kleins in Chicago. I bought one of those Enfields in 30-06 for my first deer hunt

in Michigan. A very well made rifle.

That action is a wonderment. Strong as a bulldozer.

I have a 1917 03A3 made by Remington in 1943. My uncle bought it through the NRA in the mid 50's for $25 along with another 03A3 made by Underwood and it was also a whopping $25. Shipping included. He also bought a 1911 for $25 and an unissued (still wrapped in the cosmoline (sp) and wax paper) Winchester M1 Carbine also made in 43 for $50. I have all but the Underwood 03A3. That went to my other uncles grandson.

Show me where I can purchase a 1917 for $160.00?

Boy howdy those were some real bargans though.

Put it another way, you needed over 26 hours at federal minimum wage in 1961 to buy that rifle. If prices had held even with general inflation (which they didn't due to increasing rarity and therefore value), you would need to work about 22 hours at federal minimum wage to buy it.

WOW, this past weekend I shot both the Remington 550-1 (.22 semi-auto, tube fed), owned by my younger brother.

AND..... the Remington Nylon 66 in Apache Black, owned by my older brother.

My first Python, blue/4", cost me $250 in 1975/76.

I had no idea they were $125 back in the 60's.

..........Widder

I remember Sears in Calgary back in the late 50's having surplus 303 Enfields in a barrel, your choice, $11.

Those Nylon 66's are a great little 22. My Dad bought one in the 60's for ( I think) $50 at Coast to Coast. He liked it so much he went back and bought 4 more. He kept 1, gave 1 to each of my 3 uncles and 1 to me. I inherited 4 of the 5 when they all passed away. I gave 1 with a scope on it to a close friend that has bad eyesight and Dad liked a lot. I still have the other 3. These have never had a make or type of 22lr it didn't like. Whatever you feed them, they'll send it downrange.

Buying the cheapest rifle on the page is how LHO wound up with a rifle that shot a very unusual bullet with even more unusual ballistics properties.

Very interesting results from ballistics testing of the 6.5 carcano.

http://youtu.be/tbXQdAVpuL8?t=26m10s

Hey Buffalo Creek Law Dog: Remember Woodwards out of Edmonton?

My Cooey .22 repeater and my 12 ga. single shot came up to Cold Lake, by mail from them.

They were cheaper to deal with than The Bay store.

Bought ammo from Brady's Red and White store, in Grand Centre.

Hey Buffalo Creek Law Dog: Remember Woodwards out of Edmonton?

My Cooey .22 repeater and my 12 ga. single shot came up to Cold Lake, by mail from them.

They were cheaper to deal with than The Bay store.

Bought ammo from Brady's Red and White store, in Grand Centre.

I remember it when I lived in Edmonton attending N.A.I.T. taking Marketing Administration. One of the consumer psychology instructors used to work at Woodwards and said that they had a certain type of hunting rifle on sale for $45. and no one was buying. The store raised the price to $95. and sold them all. The reason, they believed, was that people thought is must be crap at $45. but, at $95. it must be a good gun. Fifty nine years ago my 1st rifle was a Cooey .22 single shot for $16. My grandson has it now.

Archived