SASS Wire Forum

Howdy all,

I've now had this occur on two of our computers. Yesterday morning I get up and go see the wife in her home office. She says look at this and I see a blue screen with Windows 10 asking to download. I clicked where it asked if my name was correct and declined the download. I had to click another decline and then the computer restarted itself, with the screen stating "re-installing previous version of

windows" (8.1). Now, she never turns her computer off so rarely gets the pop up asking to load Windows 10.

Today, I'm on my computer. When I turned it on I got a pop up asking to download Windows 10 (as I get everyday). I declined and began surfing the web. Wife calls me in to lunch. I come back about 20 minutes later and Windows 10 is loading itself. I did not get the permission screen my wife's computer got, just Windows 10 loading itself. There was no way to stop it other than manually turn the computer off, which I did. When I restarted it I got the same message as my wife's, "re-installing previous version of Windows" (8.1).

Anybody else have this happen or have any idea what could have prompted this?

Thanks,

Wyatt

Yeah... I had this problem.

Here are instructions to prevent it.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-stay-on-windows-7-8-forever-stop-upgrade-notifications-3614204/

Once you are done, TURN OFF all automatic updates. If you don't, it will download the update that tells it to download Windows 10.

Really hate being forced into something....no matter what it is. The rebel in me just plum gets the best of my good nature in a not so intelligent way.

Now, I find that IE with Outlook is having issues. Think I heard or read somewhere, that Microsoft is phasing out IE altogether in favor of Edge.

Had the same thing this morning, except I left my pc on and I had one heck of time getting rid of it, then as you stated went back to windows 8.1. Then I went in to download some optional updates for 8.1 and then had to stop it because it was downloading windows 10, figured it out and got the updates for 8.1. Windows is sure pushing their 10 version, I know some like it and some don't, my girl friend downloaded it and after a week went back to windows 8.1, she did not like it. I know eventually will have to get it but for now I am happy with 8.1. My next pc will be a imac since all the new ones you buy now will have windows 10 on it.

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I might just turn off automatic updates then I guess I wouldn't have to worry about it, pick and choose what I want

I was unwilling to download 10 at first. I like it, but I had 8 and hated it so anything was an improvement. My .02 on the matter, if you have a machine running 7 that is running well, don't upgrade. If you have 8 and liked previous versions of Windows better, download 10.

It's not a bad os. There are a few things that are different but it is like a fancier looking 7. If you're on the fence, download it while it's still free. Soon it'll be $200 ish. Just be sure to backup your files. It lost all my pictures so I had to download them from my backup drive.

I downloaded Windows 10 and did not like it. Went back to Windows 8.1 I was told that some people are experiencing problems with the free download but, if you purchase it from a store it is supposed to be the cat's meow.

Thanks for the help and replies. I changed the automatic updates to notify and then let me install. Had to do that on all four of our computers. Funny thing is, I remember Windows asking me to install updates in the past, so how did it change to automatic all by itself? I'll bet Microsoft put this setting on an update I downloaded before!

I got the screen saying that 10 would download on a certain date when I clicked on that ad it gave me a choice to reject the auto update. kR

Yeah I got that too.

I finally decided to download it after my wife convinced me I ciuld handle the change. :D She has it on her laptop she got a little while ago.

So far it has been less of a problem that all the other Windows changes in the past.

I started updating my computers at the office last week. So far no issues. Biggest problem has been the time it took some of the machines to download. All are the same, so i don't know a reason why some would take longer. Reason I decided to update was Microsoft said the free update would only be available until end of July. After that would cost over $100. With 10 machines, that would cost me a a new cowboy gun. :P

It ruined my Dell laptop will not start in safe mode only a black screen with a flashing curser , it's got IT folks baffled , I will stay away from it again if I can ever get my laptop to work again , Any ideas on how to start it in a safe mode ?

Howdy,

MAC AN CHEEZE PLEAZE.

Change to win 10 or any big upgrade is NOT 'just' an update.

Very good idea to back up all pics and documents, files data whatever.

Bet the first thing they will do is delete all ALL the old stuff.....

Best

CR

ps A big thank you as this got me to do a full backup so if win 10 hijacks my

cornfuzer I will have a good set of files. ;)

Allie, my girlfriend tried it and she went back to windows 8.1, she was having a little trouble, she wanted yahoo as her main page to and they went with something else, she finally got yahoo back and before you knew it she had the other back that windows put her on, she wasn't happy, I know she had some other trouble to, not major but she got tired of the hassle of changing things and decided to go back since she only had 3 weeks, you have a 30 day window to go back and she did and is happy now.

Now for me I did quite a bit of searching and I decided to stay with windows 8.1, I did back up my pictures, downloads and a few other things I didn't want to lose, then I did the search and decided to stay with windows 8.1. I didn't also want to lose all my favorite sites that I go to on google chrome and yahoo and that list is pretty extensive on both of them. Also read windows 10 is not good for google chrome, can't remember what and that is what I use all the time. As one of the posters posted above he lost his pictures but had a backup so he was good to go.

I went in and changed everything and deleted some stuff, now haven't got any showing windows 10 to download and I pick the windows update that I want so I don't go to windows 10 again, I'm happy with 8.1 and I know someday I will have to buy a new pc and will have to deal with windows 10 then or I will go the MAC route. Since windows is still going to support 7 and 8.1 for a few more years that was a big plus for me in staying with what I have.

Not sure if this will help you or not, maybe other posters will post something, it is a catch all since some like it and some don't

All for now JD Trampas

Another thing, the ones that like it might have a fairly new computer and maybe not, mine is roughly 6 years old and I know my g/f's is older than mine, that could be a reason some like it and some don't, because of the age of their pc, just a guess

All for now JD Trampas

Thanks for your time, JD.

This is interesting as I use our local Website as my Home Page. For the last few weeks, I've been getting a Pop Up Window asking me to change to a Windows site as my home page. I keep closing it and not changing. How intrusive!

I haven't had a Mac for years. At the time I did, they used GUIs and Windows did not. Big plus for Mac. However, it was pretty unstable. I'm sure that has been cured.

Mac users, what does Mac do when they want you to upgrade? Are they as intrusive? BTW, I've been using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel almost exclusively) forever and would hate to have to change that. Are they still made for the Mac?

Regards,

Allie

Thanks for your time, JD.

This is interesting as I use our local Website as my Home Page. For the last few weeks, I've been getting a Pop Up Window asking me to change to a Windows site as my home page. I keep closing it and not changing. How intrusive!

I haven't had a Mac for years. At the time I did, they used GUIs and Windows did not. Big plus for Mac. However, it was pretty unstable. I'm sure that has been cured.

Mac users, what does Mac do when they want you to upgrade? Are they as intrusive? BTW, I've been using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel almost exclusively) forever and would hate to have to change that. Are they still made for the Mac?

Regards,

Allie

Allie,

Mac just updates. 99% of the updates are behind the scenes and you never know it. Major updates give you a message but it's pretty nice.

I've been a diehard Windows guy and before that a DOS guy.

My son got a Mac about 4 years ago and I liked it. I bought an iMac 2 years ago and got a Macbook Pro for Christmas. I've converted.

I've been using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel almost exclusively) forever and would hate to have to change that. Are they still made for the Mac?

I think the biggest issue here is that all new Office licenses are not a one time full access buy. Office and now photoshop as well, are on a month to month plan. I don't like that at all personally. I'd rather fork over the extra cash and be done.... but therein lies the issue, at least as far as Microsoft and Adobe's profit margins are concerned.

Howdy,

Over weekend I talked to a real programmer and he says the pix folks have disappear are now

stored in the 'cloud'.

Maybe pards who think they have lost pix really just have to look around.

Funny how they PUSH 10 but they don't say a thing about what will be better?

Perhaps they make it possible to do things I don't need? Don't want?

please-----post----if you find pix in the cloud.

Id like to hear more.

Best

CR

there is a lot of speculation about how 'Big Brother' the new systems are.

Wow! I wouldn't like a month-to-month plan much. My laptop is only a few years old; it came with 8.1. I really wish I could have used my old version of Office. I don't like the new version as well. So, maybe I don't care if I can no longer use Office on a Mac.

I just downloaded w10 on an older xp Dell laptop. I had to do some looking around to find out how to load my old office suite. I found a site that trumpeted how MS office was backward compatable and all versions would work to some extent. My suite was Office 2000. I went to MS and found the download and now I am back in business with word and excell.

My biggest problem so far is finding things that have been renamed and the steps to find them have changed. I'm sure it will get better but so far I can live with it. I did use the 32bit version as I understand it is better for using older apps.

Cimarron Larna has an older laptop she uses in the kitchen; it HAD...lol, Windows 7. Last week it loaded Windows 10 all by itself. Just...SHAZZAM, went and did it. I have been surprised so far; I didn't let it change the pictures locations, and I still refuse to go to the cloud but so far, it does seem to be working. Some differences between 10 and 8 which I have on my machine but it's pretty close as in familiar and seems to be...better.

I think the biggest issue here is that all new Office licenses are not a one time full access buy. Office and now photoshop as well, are on a month to month plan. I don't like that at all personally. I'd rather fork over the extra cash and be done.... but therein lies the issue, at least as far as Microsoft and Adobe's profit margins are concerned.

I found an old CD with office pro and it loaded smooth as silk

Archived