SASS Wire Forum

Would you sell your toy?

MT - No, no, no, no, no!!!

Thanks to all. Yes I was reluctant, and it was a lot of cash, possible used to purchase more carbines. But each reply made me think and conclude, I would be sorry. I re-read every reply, put my own feelings into it, and yes even slept on it and got up during the night with it on my mind.

The offer was way above what I paid for it, or ever expected.

Just got off the phone and told Gary, I won't be selling, even if he offered 5000.00. As to a Heirloom to someone in the family? No. All my firearms are to go to 3 different people that have shown me kindness, some over time, some recent.

Thanks for the help and steerage. MT

Marshal,

Check out the September issue of American Rifleman. SJ Fjestad has an article on the prices (astronomical) of the Colt "snake guns". It suggests that your Python may be worth a lot more than $5,000. Not that you want to sell it, but there is a spike in prices right now.

Thanks to all. Yes I was reluctant, and it was a lot of cash, possible used to purchase more carbines. But each reply made me think and conclude, I would be sorry. I re-read every reply, put my own feelings into it, and yes even slept on it and got up during the night with it on my mind.

The offer was way above what I paid for it, or ever expected.

Just got off the phone and told Gary, I won't be selling, even if he offered 5000.00. As to a Heirloom to someone in the family? No. All my firearms are to go to 3 different people that have shown me kindness, some over time, some recent.

Thanks for the help and steerage. MT

Even if they don't go to family, if they go to people who value them because they were yours, they are still heirlooms in my book.

Oh, and that time I loaned you all that money? Right after I pulled your car out of the ditch and changed your tire in the cold and rain? Think nothing of that...

I guess I'm a little late, but let me tell you about an offer I've made to friends more than once. Let me buy the gun for X (usually whatever it's worth) and at any time if you want it back, you can have it for the original sales price. Since I don't sell guns, it's not a problem for me to say I won't ever sell the thing. Maybe other people they might want to put a time limit on it.

Now, if I was in your shoes, I think I'd be willing to do a deal like that if the collector friend really wanted it and would cherish it properly. Like I said, I don't usually sell guns, but knowing they'll go to a good home is enough for me to consider it.

I agree with Doc, they don't have to stay in the family to be an heirloom. A friend of mine died last year and his son let me buy one of his guns. It's a bushmaster 308, and even though I've always wanted one in .308, I've never really liked AR type rifles. But by golly that thing is an instant heirloom in my book. I even had to reconfigure my safe because the dang thing has a scope and a bipod (2 more things I don't typically like).

I'd probably sell it. A gun that has that extra collectible value is no use to me. I don't want to carry them or compete with them, because of the value, but I'm not collector and I don't hang onto guns I don't use, so I usually sell or trade them.

I recently figured out my S&W 686 CS1 was worth more than double the $500 I paid for it, so I quit using it for a competition gun and sold it for $1,100, which I used to buy some less valuable Uberti Cattlemen.

I'd probably sell it. A gun that has that extra collectible value is no use to me. I don't want to carry them or compete with them, because of the value, but I'm not collector and I don't hang onto guns I don't use, so I usually sell or trade them.

I recently figured out my S&W 686 CS1 was worth more than double the $500 I paid for it, so I quit using it for a competition gun and sold it for $1,100, which I used to buy some less valuable Uberti Cattlemen.

That's a great return on your money! Good move if you weren't using it, I agree 100%%!!! ;)

If you need the money to keep a roof over your head, food on the table and clothes on the families back, sell it.

Otherwise it's almost unAmerican to sell a gun.

Archived