SASS Wire Forum

Question on minimum wages

As someone that had a business, and payed employees and good wage and with bonuses, with almost nil turnover as to leaving for higher wages or benefits.

Question is, were is it written that the goverment can establish or make a minimum wage that all must follow? I always thought, if I didn't pay enough, or didn't provide good benefits, I couldn't get good employees, or they would leave to seek those higher benefits, wages. MT

I have always wondered why I couldn't go bargain with an employer to work for whatever wage (or none) I wanted in order to learn a trade/business.

When I was a kid I worked in a gunsmith shop for almost nothing (.10/hour) so I could learn gunsmithing.

I also worked for almost nothing for a cabinet maker and in a slaughter house, both jobs to learn how to do things.

I helped farm fields to learn how to drive a tractor and climbed trees to remove dead limbs so the guys cutting them down didn't die from the widowmakers so I could learn how to fell trees.

You can't do this anymore unless you are a family member.

As someone that had a business, and payed employees and good wage and with bonuses, with almost nil turnover as to leaving for higher wages or benefits.

Question is, were is it written that the goverment can establish or make a minimum wage that all must follow? I always thought, if I didn't pay enough, or didn't provide good benefits, I couldn't get good employees, or they would leave to seek those higher benefits, wages. MT

Simple, if you don't pay the minimum waged passed into law by city, state or Federal government, they can fine you, revoke any licenses/permits required to operate the business or just tie you up in court until the legal fees bankrupt you.

The real problem is why people are increasingly being forced to rely on entry level jobs as the primary job of the single adult or adult with dependents.

Howdy,

I seem to remember when I started working min wage was a dollar an hour and

a good wage 4 an hour. But those were SILVER dollars.

That silver dollar today is around $15 Obama dollars.

So the $8 min wage might convert to about 50 cents.

Compare to wages of silver and some folks are living on next to nothing.

Im amazed they can get by at all.

Inflation in the 1970s really messed with buying power.

One year I got a 8 percent raise, but inflation was 16 percent.

OUTCH.

Best

CR

Simple, if you don't pay the minimum waged passed into law by city, state or Federal government, they can fine you, revoke any licenses/permits required to operate the business or just tie you up in court until the legal fees bankrupt you.

The real problem is why people are increasingly being forced to rely on entry level jobs as the primary job of the single adult or adult with dependents.

When I owned my own business and when I was managing one for someone else, I turned away people with high school diplomas, and some with college degrees, who simply were not worth the minimum wage, much less what I was offering.

I was constantly amazed at those who could read but couldn't understand nor apply what they read, and even more so those who had finagled a diploma or degree without being able to read above a fifth or sixth grade level. The ones who were incapable or writing a coherent sentence stupified me.

So many couldn't count change or do simple arithmetic without a pocket calculator, and couldn't even make a guess at a "ball park" estimate.

Many jobs that were available to me when I was fifteen or sixteen years old are now being sought by adults, some in their middle years, who just can't make the cut at anything else. Many of these jobs were NEVER designed to provide a living wage.

Drugs, alcohol, laziness, and a lack of willingness to work their way up also contribute to adults not earning a living wage.

I find little sympathy for anyone who won't make the effort to learn what it takes to get a job, and nothing but scorn for some who have the guts to DEMAND that someone else take care of them.

I often said I'd lay of my entire crew, close the doors, sell everything, and burn the place to the ground before I'd knuckle under to that. It very nearly came to that, but I had a soft-hearted friend who bought me out ten years ago. She is still working at 84 years of age and has NO employees any more. She puts in a few hours a week and does everything herself. It's almost to the point of being a hobby now.

The End.

The soapbox is closed for the day.

When I owned my own business and when I was managing one for someone else, I turned away people with high school diplomas, and some with college degrees, who simply were not worth the minimum wage, much less what I was offering.

I was constantly amazed at those who could read but couldn't understand nor apply what they read, and even more so those who had finagled a diploma or degree without being able to read above a fifth or sixth grade level. The ones who were incapable or writing a coherent sentence stupified me.

So many couldn't count change or do simple arithmetic without a pocket calculator, and couldn't even make a guess at a "ball park" estimate.

Many jobs that were available to me when I was fifteen or sixteen years old are now being sought by adults, some in their middle years, who just can't make the cut at anything else. Many of these jobs were NEVER designed to provide a living wage.

Drugs, alcohol, laziness, and a lack of willingness to work their way up also contribute to adults not earning a living wage.

I find little sympathy for anyone who won't make the effort to learn what it takes to get a job, and nothing but scorn for some who have the guts to DEMAND that someone else take care of them.

I often said I'd lay of my entire crew, close the doors, sell everything, and burn the place to the ground before I'd knuckle under to that. It very nearly came to that, but I had a soft-hearted friend who bought me out ten years ago. She is still working at 84 years of age and has NO employees any more. She puts in a few hours a week and does everything herself. It's almost to the point of being a hobby now.

The End.

Good soapbox wisdom, send a copy to the white house.

The End.

I felt fortunate to find workers that understood "Come in at 8 and don't leave till 5".

Where do people suppose the money for the minimum wage increase comes from? Is it just assumed that the brutish slave driving employer is making so much money that he can simply absorb the additional cost?

Either the product is cheapened or the price goes up in direct proportion to the rise in wages.

The End.

Great post Forty. Some understood this post intent. MT

Howdy,

I seem to remember when I started working min wage was a dollar an hour and

a good wage 4 an hour. But those were SILVER dollars.

That silver dollar today is around $15 Obama dollars.

So the $8 min wage might convert to about 50 cents.

Compare to wages of silver and some folks are living on next to nothing.

Im amazed they can get by at all.

Inflation in the 1970s really messed with buying power.

One year I got a 8 percent raise, but inflation was 16 percent.

OUTCH.

Best

CR

Yep, . . . .

It could be worse I suppose. If wages had kept up with production since the 70's, minimum wage would be around $35 an hour. I guess it's a good thing all that money went to the top instead.

The cost of living for me is related to the price of gas.

My Dad in the late 20's was $.05 a gallon and he made $.25/hour. So he could buy 5 gallons with 1 hours labor.

Me in the late 60's was getting paid minimum wage of $1.55 to pump gas. But gas was around $.25/gallon. So I could buy 6 gallons with one hours labor.

Today minimum wage is $5.75/hour but gas is around $3.50/gallon. 1 hours labor gets you around 1 1/2 gallons.

You can't get there.

But people are wanting the minimum wage to be $15/hour. Yes they will have more money to spend with an entry level job. But other wages will have to rise to meet the rising cost caused by the hike in the minimum. The Liberals just think that businesses will reduce their profits to cover the difference. Ain't going to happen.

Ike

Forty Rod, great post

When I retired out of the Army, as a 20 year tank mechanic and a broken body, I went back to college in business management, majoring in accounting. I thought it would be a tough road competing with young people. What happened was a shocker. I graduated Summa Cum Laude. Had no problem getting work and was about to sit for the CPA exam when I had my stroke. Point was; there wasn't any competition either in school or work. Employers wanted me over the younger generation. Can't tell you how many times an interviewer would inform me that I was what they wanted. Someone with work ethics.

I now work with a young man how has Cerebral Palsy. He was a wreck. Has a host of other problems requirring meds No sense of direction. He's now lived with the wife and I for 6 years. Has been at his current job as an Administrative Assistant for an expensive Senoir Living Facility full of retired military. I couldn't be prouded than every time I graduated a Basic Training soldier when I was a Drill. He's become the son we never had. He tells me about every employee at work. He is disgusted with his own generation. By the way, he just turned 28. I've never been able to dout on someone out of pride like so many fathers I know. So forgive me if I seem to be ramblin.

Anyway, the wage hike is already reeking havoc in those locations that instituted it. People are asking for fewer hours in order to stay under the threshold to qualify for benifits such as food stamps, daycare and such. So 40 hour jods are going to 30 hour jobs. Also a lot of employers have closed their doors unable to pay the wages.

Two main points:

1.Discipline has to be taught to produce an engaged employee that has direction.

2. Local markets should control what a wage should be. High cost of living areas typically seem to naturally produce a higher minimum wage. As in the difference between San Francisco, Cal.and Elizabethtown, Kentucky. This difference is reflected not only in wage, but the cost of livingas well. I live a just as good a life here in Kentucky on a lot less than my equal in California.

I guess your post just got me to thinking about all the trickle down problems that the higher minimum wage will ultimately cause In a generation of young people that already have enough problems. Giving them further entitlement will only reinforce the state they are already in.

Thanks

Archived