SASS Wire Forum

Progress report

No not on the Garand. As of this morning's weigh in I have lost 22 lbs. :D

I still eat pasta and pizza. The only thing I have sworn off is large portions. :)

Thats awesome. We are following a similar path here at my homestead. Just started 3 weeks ago and I am down 4 lbs, wife is down 7. There are certain foods we are staying away from, but not to the point that we are missing anything. Mostly portion and proportion. Don't know if you are into cellphone apps but we are using an app called My Fitness Pal. You set it up with your weight, age etc and what you want to lose. Then you input everything you eat and follow portions. You can even scan barcodes to enter stuff if your cellphone supports it. It also searches and finds most everything.

Ha! I've lost almost 24 pounds in the last 5 weeks. I wouldn't recommend the diet. I hope to get the damn gallbladder out next week or so.

You did look a little gaunt when I saw you in town the other day...LOL! I heard that there is a new side match at this years Revenge...."Old Geezers 20yd Dash" . You must be planning on entering :P .

Thats awesome. We are following a similar path here at my homestead. Just started 3 weeks ago and I am down 4 lbs, wife is down 7. There are certain foods we are staying away from, but not to the point that we are missing anything. Mostly portion and proportion. Don't know if you are into cellphone apps but we are using an app called My Fitness Pal. You set it up with your weight, age etc and what you want to lose. Then you input everything you eat and follow portions. You can even scan barcodes to enter stuff if your cellphone supports it. It also searches and finds most everything.

Been using that program since January! It works great.

You did look a little gaunt when I saw you in town the other day...LOL! I heard that there is a new side match at this years Revenge...."Old Geezers 20yd Dash" . You must be planning on entering :P .

By gaunt of course you mean svelte. :D

I'm waiting for the EOT Marathon. ;)

Congrats UB, I follow the same regimen. Eat everything I want but smaller portions, and Ive lost 10 pounds. I also have found beer is less fattening than wine. Im talking about max 2 glasses of either one. And I don't drink lite beer :D

:unsure:

a shadow of your former self

guns are lots more fun , than DIEts

CB

congrats on slimming down :lol:

True. ;)

Tuuqtz.jpg

Congrats UB, I follow the same regimen. Eat everything I want but smaller portions, and Ive lost 10 pounds. I also have found beer is less fattening than wine. Im talking about max 2 glasses of either one. And I don't drink lite beer :D

Guinness is actually pretty low in calories, not much more than many light beers.

Good job, UB!

My oldest daughter has talked me into starting running again. She even bought me a new pair of running shoes, so it is hard to say no. We did a 5K trail walk/run a couple weeks back, with another scheduled for next month that I hope is more run than walk. I could stand to drop some weight, I've picked up about 35 pounds since retiring from the Guard.

Guinness is actually pretty low in calories, not much more than many light beers.

Good job, UB!

My oldest daughter has talked me into starting running again. She even bought me a new pair of running shoes, so it is hard to say no. We did a 5K trail walk/run a couple weeks back, with another scheduled for next month that I hope is more run than walk. I could stand to drop some weight, I've picked up about 35 pounds since retiring from the Guard.

My oldknees and ankles aren't up to much running anymore so I keep it to a walk either around the place or on the treadmill. At least 30 minutes a day.

I still like wine with dinner but keep it to 6oz.

"All things in moderation" ;)

Downside is I have to buy new britches. ;)

My oldknees and ankles aren't up to much running anymore so I keep it to a walk either around the place or on the treadmill. At least 30 minutes a day.

I still like wine with dinner but keep it to 6oz.

"All things in moderation" ;)

Running definitely isn't for everyone, both physically and mentally. As long as you're up and moving and not sedentary, you're doing the right thing, in my opinion. Part of the reason I picked up weight was from sitting in an office chair and not keeping in shape with a PT test in mind, or trying to keep up with my oldest daughter doing cross country once she left for college.

I'm not sure my knees and ankles are going to be up to it, especially with this weight I am carrying, but I am planning on starting slow, and seeing where it leads. I hope that I am able to do more running than walking, but if I have to walk, then so be it. I enjoy 5Ks, especially trail runs. I would like to do a 10K one of these days, but I have no desire to do a marathon or even a half. That was something I considered when I was younger, but not anymore. Now if I had a nice road bike, a century might be a fun goal... :o

Running definitely isn't for everyone, both physically and mentally. As long as you're up and moving and not sedentary, you're doing the right thing, in my opinion. Part of the reason I picked up weight was from sitting in an office chair and not keeping in shape with a PT test in mind, or trying to keep up with my oldest daughter doing cross country once she left for college.

I'm not sure my knees and ankles are going to be up to it, especially with this weight I am carrying, but I am planning on starting slow, and seeing where it leads. I hope that I am able to do more running than walking, but if I have to walk, then so be it. I enjoy 5Ks, especially trail runs. I would like to do a 10K one of these days, but I have no desire to do a marathon or even a half. That was something I considered when I was younger, but not anymore. Now if I had a nice road bike, a century might be a fun goal... :o

Offices! Arrrrrggggg! :angry:

fY6fli.jpg

I quit running when I quit playing Rugby about 35 years ago (I'm 67). I credit not running with the fact my knees, ankles, and hips are still good. My spine does have some problems....

My main program for years has been walking, but walking up lots of hills. I am in a hilly city, so this is easy to arrange; basically I walk up 10-12 blocks of hills 3-4 times per week. This adds up to 30 or so blocks total, but it's the uphills I count. Takes 45 minutes to an hour.

One-third to one-half the times I carry a 25-pound pack. But of course this is something one would work up to.

Walking hills gives you as hard a work out as you want. You keep the number of hills the same, but can increase speed, or, if you want, weight with a pack. But it's smooth application of force, so does not pound the joints at all. Plus you are outside, which keeps you at it. I just can't sustain long-term working out on gym machines.

And you can do it all seasons. I just carry an umbrella in the rain, of which we have plenty here.

110 ft elevation change from the creekbed up to the top of the ridge here. It's a workout. ;)

Archived