SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy!

Major Art Tillery

If have always thought the Classic Cowbiy Category would be the perfect fit for me, but only had Marlin rifles and Stoeger shotguns. Well I finally took the plunge and will be joining the Classic Cowboy ranks this shooting season! Picked up a Cz hammered 12 guage and a Uberti 1873 in 44-40.... Which matches up with my current Ruger Vaqueors in 44-40! I already have the gear to meet the clothing requirements so I am set, can't wait for the shooting season to get started! Be a lot of learning with the new firearms and shooting duelist all the time, but ready to give it a try.

If have always thought the Classic Cowbiy Category would be the oerfect fit for me, but only had Marlin rifles and Stoeger shotguns. Well I finally took the plunge and will be joining the Classic Cowboy ranks this shooting season! Picked up a Cz hammered 12 guage and a Uberti 1873 in 44-40.... Which matches up with my current Ruger Vaqueors in 44-40! I already have the gear to meet the clothing requirements so I am set, can't wait for the shooting season to get started! Be a lot of learning with the new firearms and shooting duelist all the time, but ready to give it a try.

:)

I asked this in another thread, but haven't heard anything. Are jeans legal for CC? I can't seem to find anything that says they aren't. I was looking at a tag of my Levi's and they say "since 1873". They would go well with my 1873 colt clone and 1873 rifle. I just have to get myself a shotgun. I plan to run CC at least once this year. More if I really like it.

I asked this in another thread, but haven't heard anything. Are jeans legal for CC? I can't seem to find anything that says they aren't. I was looking at a tag of my Levi's and they say "since 1873". They would go well with my 1873 colt clone and 1873 rifle. I just have to get myself a shotgun. I plan to run CC at least once this year. More if I really like it.

No for sure on the jeans...I wear the frontier classic trousers myself.

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Art,

Welcome to my favorite, Classic Cowboy. Your most practicing will probably be with the hammered double S X S. I have gotten better with mine, but have oh so far to go. But I love it. ( I would say NO to Blue Jeans).

Cheers, Hoss

If have always thought the Classic Cowbiy Category would be the perfect fit for me, but only had Marlin rifles and Stoeger shotguns. Well I finally took the plunge and will be joining the Classic Cowboy ranks this shooting season! Picked up a Cz hammered 12 guage and a Uberti 1873 in 44-40.... Which matches up with my current Ruger Vaqueors in 44-40! I already have the gear to meet the clothing requirements so I am set, can't wait for the shooting season to get started! Be a lot of learning with the new firearms and shooting duelist all the time, but ready to give it a try.

Welcome!!!!

Scout

The rules for CC, p15 Shooters Handbook & p11 ROII Handbook, make no mention of jeans, blue or otherwise. Levi's or Wranglers would technically be legal to wear imho.

Classic is the best, I have been shooting it for a while. And yes jeans are ok, just no fancy stuff on the back pockets, that's more B-Western. I recently got 38-40's so I can shoot the smoky stuff like the real Cowboys did. I know you will have as much fun as I am, the hammered shotgun is addictive, lol, it just takes practice.

Wow! They're comin out of the woodwork all suddenlike! Yeee Hawwww...congrats to all y'all!

Those other categories are redundant anyway....just sayin'

Major, I'm not sure on the Czech hammered SxSs. I use a TTN and saw one available here in the past week plus the new one being imported by Taylor's plus the 1887 is a hoot to shoot. I let Johnny meadows do my SxSs and he does an excellent job on them. He done two EAA baikals, one remington baikal , one TTN and just got a SKB from him all have been better than the one prior. I have Lassiter do my 87s and the one I have now about runs itself if I get out its way.

The Rugers lassiter is the man now for them also mine are older ones done by Wes flowers and I can't remember ever having a problem with them in the nine plus years it's been since he worked on them. My USFA are from long hunter except I swapped the grips out for army ones and with it the hammer and trigger so one day I'll send them back for tweaking them if I don't do it first. My 73. Is from Jim as well and runs real well.

So I'm coming back to double duelist, and new to CC, because I largely do the costuming, anyway.

On COCKING the revolvers, I do find it takes dome effort with one hand. I've had Jim Bowie redo the springs. It's not hard like that. It's the reach up with my thumb, then down.

QUESTION:

Is it better to reach up straight with my thumb and pull hammer down? Or to loosen my grip a little and drape my thumb over the hammer a little sideways, pulling it down. (I've never dropped one in 54 years of shooting.)

I get the job done, either way.

Just enjoying learning with you all, getting ideas.

Thank you

I put lower hammers on my GF guns and that made a huge difference. My hands don't want to work right when it gets below 50. As for cocking I do a swipe motion. But do what's comfortable for you.

Aunt Jen try either or both Ruger Bisley guns or the hammer or a montano hammer on a regular Ruger both are legal now. I like Bisleys nuch better than the standard hammers the spur comes back instead of a more upward angle. I say Ruger Bisleys not the colt Bisleys as they are two different animals.

Wow! They're comin out of the woodwork all suddenlike! Yeee Hawwww...congrats to all y'all!

Those other categories are redundant anyway....just sayin'

Aunt Jen try either or both Ruger Bisley guns or the hammer or a montano hammer on a regular Ruger both are legal now. I like Bisleys nuch better than the standard hammers the spur comes back instead of a more upward angle. I say Ruger Bisleys not the colt Bisleys as they are two different animals.

Hi. I'm interested. A LOWER hammer would be great.

I have two, stainless, NRVs. How hard is it to put these new hammers in?

Also, I can find them on the internet, but which company should I order from?

Ooooops. Hold the presses.

I called the guy who has been very helpful with me on all my gun over the years, Jim Bowie, and he told me that, for me and knowing me, I would likely prefer the Super Blackhawk hammers, so I already bought them and they're in the mail.

THANK YOU for wonderful ideas!

(I guess I'm becoming one of those shooters who has theses slicked competition guns...)

Thank you guys.

Welcome to the cat forty rod. I've really i joyed the cat since switching to it. I ask many questions outside the norm looking for something to set me apart from the norm. I like being different.

Oh yeh we are going to have some fun!!!! You already look and are the part. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!

You got everything down good already, but I will help you out on anything you want , even the HUD Hunker!!! :) See you soon.

Archived