SASS Wire Forum

selling a slicked up gun.

evil dogooder

Ok thinking about selling my back up rifle. A slick magic cowboy comp.

I looked up what the base cowboy comp goes for but how do you value the action work?

Half the price you paid? More? Less?

Thanks for any advise.

Reason for selling it's i want backups in the same style as my main guns. A 73 and vaqueros. I was told by a sass dealer i could probably get more for it selling than trading?

You were told correctly. A dealer will only allow you the base wholesale price for a used rifle. The action work will count for nothing. A private sale allows you to ask the retail price for a used rifle and add in the cost doc the action work. Remember though, your only goin to get what someone is willing to pay for it.

Coffinmaker

I buy and sell lots of guns. You get 100% of the value from selling, about 85% from consigning, 60% from trading and 50% from selling to a gunseller who intends to resell the gun. The value of the enhancements depends on who is buying. A cowboy tuning on a 1873 has little value to someone who is not going to 'run' the gun. Your local gunshop probably has little knowledge of the value of the enhancements and knows even less about SASS.

There are two tactics for selling:

1. Your selling price is what you would be happy with receiving and you will negotiate very little (my preferred method)

2. Start above your desired sell price and negotiate (a.k.a. used car lot method)

In my experience, when you are selling your 'modified' firearm, you basically have to price it within the range of what the firearm will sell for, even without any mods.

It seems the only way to recover the cost of your mods would be if a friend or fellow CAS is interested in those particular mods.

Now, that being stated, I think there are some exceptions. One of those exceptions might be in cosmetic enhancements that make the firearm 'beautiful' and different to some degree. In particular, some folks love the look of 'jeweling' and consider that an enhancement in buying a used firearm that has an 'enhanced' price, if you know what I mean.

Of course, the above is just my opinion, based on limited experience in trying to sell any of my guns.

..........Widder

I just don't think at this time there are very many Cowboy Comp. Marlins with Slicks magic available right now..

From what I hear.. He's always gotta' waiting list.. That's good for him and you..

Somebody wants one now.. You have it..

It is a JM Marlin?

And it got good work done right?

Approximately how many rounds through it?

Rance ;)

Thinkin' you could get the value of the rifle and half the price of the work

if not all the price of the work.. It's readily available.. :)

I'm not sure what your rifle should sell for, but FYI there was a super slick '73 being sold here (which I happened to get).

With mods and everything, the rifle probably originally cost in the $1.5k to $1.6k range. It sold for $900 + $25 shipping.

EMF Uberti '73, .45 Colt - 24 Octagonal Barrel Border Rifle (Pistol Grip w/ Checkered Buttstock and Forearm)

Short Stroke

Aluminum Carrier

Whisper Springs

Stainless Magazine Spring and Follower

Coil Mainspring Conversion

Brass Front Sight

Action Work by Will Shootem and Ol #4

The rifle started at $1,000 and didn't sell. A week later it was $950 and didn't sell. Another week later it was $900 and took a couple more days to sell.

Based on that (admittedly limited) experience, I'd have to say that even here on the SASS Wire there's no guarantee you'll get back anymore than the base price of the new rifle, assuming it's in good condition.

I'm not sure what your rifle should sell for, but FYI there was a super slick '73 being sold here (which I happened to get).

With mods and everything, the rifle probably originally cost in the $1.5k to $1.6k range. It sold for $900 + $25 shipping.

EMF Uberti '73, .45 Colt - 24 Octagonal Barrel Border Rifle (Pistol Grip w/ Checkered Buttstock and Forearm)

Short Stroke

Aluminum Carrier

Whisper Springs

Brass Front Sight

The rifle started at $1,000 and didn't sell. A week later it was $950 and didn't sell. Another week later it was $900 and took a couple more days to sell.

Based on that (admittedly limited) experience, I'd have to say that even here on the SASS Wire there's no guarantee you'll get back anymore than the base price of the new rifle, assuming it's in good condition.

I remember that. I was watching it closely and nearly claimed it myself if I hadn't had my heart set on 44-40

Short Stroke

Aluminum Carrier

Whisper Springs

Brass Front Sight

Hey Drifter hope you're doing well.

See you at Doc Hollidays Saturday?

I think the answer to the OP depends on the demand for the rifle and the name recognition of the gunsmith who did the work. Some Smith's are known nationally and some only locally, that affects demand and the subsequent price. I have an 1894 Marlin Cowboy Competition in 357 magnum with an action job by HogLeg Smith. I would expect to get at least $1000 for it even though HogLeg may not be as widely known as Slick.

Winter Range swap meet is coming up. Sold a Marlin last year at a good, but fair price. It was worked on by Palo Verde Gunworks. Sometimes being able to work the action by a quaility gunsmith, such as the quality work Slick, or Palo Verde does, is all it takes. Good luck.

. I have an 1894 Marlin Cowboy Competition in 357 magnum with an action job by HogLeg Smith.

The Marlin Cowboy Competition was made in .38 special and .45 Colt only. Never .357 magnum. The Cowboy limited was made in .357 magnum.

By the way, I've got one of each.

Laz

You absolutely want to sell it yourself to another cowboy shooter.

A good Marlin that is properly tuned and has all the factory issues worked out is worth money, mainly because there aren't all that many out there that both run fast and feed reliably.

I'd start by asking every B-Western shooter you know if they want it. If they say no ask if they know any other shooters that want one. Serious B-Western shooters are always on the lookout for a little bit better Marlin.

Ladies looking for a lightweight rifle with an excellent action job is another possibility.

It is a cowboy comp .38 spl.

I will be asking around. I just didn't want to ask too much. I bought the rifle before the Marlin craze and had it slicked up two years ago.

The rifle runs great. I'm a mid pack shooter and. I was able to consistently get under 4 with a Nevada double tap sweep. I'm just faster with my 73 .

I will be asking around. I just didn't want to ask too much. I bought the rifle before the Marlin craze and had it slicked up two years ago.

The rifle runs great. I'm a mid pack shooter and. I was able to consistently get under 4 with a Nevada double tap sweep. I'm just faster with my 73 .

SELL A GUN? There's a concept my wife likes quite a lot, (as long as she gets the proceeds)... but one which, in EVERY case, I've come to regret!

I don't look forward to selling. But i do need back up guns if I'm going to get any better.

My gun funds are my own. It's paid out of the overtime i work. Now as for the test of my check. Well that's still under debate after seven years lol

There might be an optional way to get what you want. Put it in the SASS classifieds with a WTS or will trade for. Tell them what you have and what you're looking for. You might get someone looking for a Marlin like yours with an extra 73 they'd part with.

This discussion intrigues me alittle.

EVIL was asking about pricing 'action work', or modifications so to speak.

BUT, the Ace in the Hole that he might have that places a higher value on this particular rifle might not be in the action work, but the rarity of availability of this rifle, as mentioned by RANCE.

And because these are kinda hard to obtain by some who would like to have one, then his price demand could be set at a premium, regardless of action work in the rifle. The action work could just be icing on the cake for a buyer.

PLUS, as Captain BILL BURT mentioned, the name of the gunsmith who worked on the rifle might also be an enhancement to the price. And one thing for sure, it surely won't hurt the selling of the Marlin.

EVIL: go ahead and put it in the Classfieds and put the price on it that you need/want and see how it goes from there.

I 'think' that Slick's Marlins, in particular the Widdermatic, has earned himself 2 Natl and 2 World Championships during the past 3 years or so.

And I think those Marlins have also been used in the hands of the Lady BWestern champ(s), but not sure.

Yes, I know its not the firearms but rather the shooter and their abilities. But they still have to be using reliable, smooth and fast firearms that allow them to run within their abilities.

Best regards,

..........Widder

The Marlin Cowboy Competition was made in .38 special and .45 Colt only. Never .357 magnum. The Cowboy limited was made in .357 magnum.

By the way, I've got one of each.

Laz

You are correct. I had to go look. I ( my wife) has a Limited, not a Comp. My mistake.

Is cowboy comp Marlin might bring $750-900 on SA very good day more like $700

I think your numbers are a little off. $700 for a Cowboy comp is a steal, there are three on Gunbroker right now with bids over $1000

I wouldn't worry too much about asking too high a price since you can always come down. What you don't want is four people posting "I'll take it!" three minutes after you list it.

I had a Cowboy LTD .38/.357 with a 24 inch barrel....It did not have any special action work other than my changing the firing pin a hammer spring and a bit of polishing here and there. I put it on the wire here and was amazed that in less than an hour I had 3 hits on it....Sold it for $875.00 and I also included an extra stock that was made for my wife.I did have the box but not the papers...it turned into a 73 for her. As BD said you can always come down on your asking price.

Hochbauer

Archived