SASS Wire Forum

What's the answer

Wyatt

During a rifle run a live round gets trapped and stands strait up, bullet up, in the carrier of the shooters 73. The shooter reaches up and plucks the round out, never losing control of the round, and places it in his mouth. He shoot the remaining rounds in his rifle and takes the round from his mouth and loads it into his rifle. Again never losing control of the round.

Is this considered a reload?

The rules state

• Ammunition required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the
shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shotshell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be
safely staged as required by stage instructions. Leather belt slide ammo loops are
acceptable; however, shotgun shell slides may not be worn over shotgun loops on an ammo
belt. Shotgun loops must be in a single row. Rifle and revolver ammunition may not be
carried in a shotshell loop. No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose,
cleavage, or any other bodily orifice.

What's the call penalty?

as I have done this before,,, it is of course a NO CALL!!!!!

next yule wannna know if you can pull a hull out of your shotgun with your teeth,,,,,, been there done that tuu!!

NO RULE BROKEN...NO CALL...NO PENALTY.

The round was never "carried" in the mouth...(i.e. transported from one location to another).

It was not completely "ejected" from the rifle (therefore, it is NOT a "retrieved" dead round)

You've earned your Christmas "STAR" with this one!

:P

My opinion is the round is a reloaded round.

It was in the gun and removed and then RELOADED in to the gun again.

Whether it's the same round or another round, it's still a reloaded round because it has to be put in the gun to get the correct fired rounds.

-------------

The definition above (1 below) is correct but it is not the only definition.

To transport is not a requirement of carried. (see 2)

1. to take or support from one place to another; convey; transport:
He carried her for a mile in his arms. This elevator cannot carry more than ten people.
2. to wear, hold, or have around one:
He carries his knife in his pocket. He carries a cane.
3. to contain or be capable of containing; hold:
The suitcase will carry enough clothes for a week.
"No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice."
seems to me to mean you can not use ammunition retrieved from these places.

Whether it's the same round or another round, it's still a reloaded round because it has to be put in the gun to get the correct fired rounds.

-------------

He carried her for a mile in his arms. This elevator cannot carry more than ten people.
"No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice."

Previous rulings regarding removal of ammo from either a firearm or another location (e.g. loops/pouch) and being place in the mouth after being CARRIED to the line in an approved manner use the FIRST definition.

Placing round(s) in the mouth prior to loading (or reloading) is not recommended, but it is NOT a violation of the rule under the given circumstances.

-------------

By that there 'definition' any one of us who grabs more than the number of required shotgun rounds and holds those EXTRA rounds in a hand/between fingers would be violating that there rule...sorry, not buying it!

OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I can see where is no call, but strikes me as slow and not too smart, either dump it and pull a ctg from the belt at the end of the string or clip it between a couple of fingers and shove it back in the gun once you have engaged the rest of the targets.....I ain't puttin no bulett in my mouth!

The other answer is 42, but what was the question?

the sass rule does not list hands as bodily orifice.

--------------------------

"Previous rulings regarding removal of ammo from either a firearm or another location (e.g. loops/pouch) and being place in the mouth after being CARRIED to the line in an approved manner use the FIRST definition.

Placing round(s) in the mouth prior to loading (or reloading) is not recommended, but it is NOT a violation of the rule under the given circumstances."

please tell me where I can find in the written rules or in the OR section where it's legal to carry or put ammunition in your mouth and then use it to reload.

I don't remember seeing it.

If it's there, I will accept it. But I won't be doing it.

the sass rule does not list hands as bodily orifice.

--------------------------

"Previous rulings regarding removal of ammo from either a firearm or another location (e.g. loops/pouch) and being place in the mouth after being CARRIED to the line in an approved manner use the FIRST definition.

Placing round(s) in the mouth prior to loading (or reloading) is not recommended, but it is NOT a violation of the rule under the given circumstances."

please tell me where I can find in the written rules or in the OR section where it's legal to carry or put ammunition in your mouth and then use it to reload.

I don't remember seeing it.

If it's there, I will accept it. But I won't be doing it.

It's NOT in the written rules, nor has it been published in the Oregon? section ... same as it is not stated specifically that redundant safety mechanisms may be removed/disabled.

Many of the WB/ROC rulings on specific incidents, modifications, or practices are NOT codified into the rules.

As stated in the quoted post #5...it is NOT a "recommended practice", but doing so in the OP scenario is NOT against the rule "as written" ...

...whether you accept it or not.

BUT, BUT, BUT. BUT,,,,,,,,

It has been answered repeatedly by the official spokesman of the ROC!!! I would think that shud settle it,,,, but if someone else THINKS differently, well by all means maybe this can go on for 5 more pages....

Illegally acquired ammunition – ammo NOT carried to the line or staged by the shooter in an approved manner.

RO1 "Glossary of Terms" p.30

The ammo WAS "...carried to the line in an approved manner"...i.e. IN the magazine of the rifle.

Therefore:

The P+Miss penalty for "Use of illegally acquired ammunition" does NOT APPLY.

hey wider, I may be special,,, I've had to pull rounds out too,,, back before I widderized them....

So, apparently, Bobo the Orangutan could come to the line, pull ten shotgun shells from ihis bandoleer, stuff them into his mouth, draw them from his mouth, load them into his SxS and fire them withithout penalty. However, if Bobo spits them from his mouth, through thin air, into the shotgun's chambers and fires them, then that's a procedural and a miss for the first spat round and only a miss for every subsequent round so spat through the air into his shotgun and fired; right? :-) ;-) (I need to update my notes.)

So, apparently, Bobo the Orangutan could come to the line, pull ten shotgun shells from ihis bandoleer, stuff them into his mouth, draw them from his mouth, load them into his SxS and fire them withithout penalty.

However, if Bobo spits them from his mouth, through thin air, into the shotgun's chambers and fires them, then that's a procedural and a miss for the first spat round and only a miss for every subsequent round so spat through the air into his shotgun and fired; right? :-) ;-) (I need to update my notes.)

NO...that is NOT right.

IF that's how YOU want to load your SxS, go right ahead.

<_<

The context of the Rule "as written" is transportation. So, the definition #1 is Post #8 is the most applicable.

American English is a flexible language. The same written word can have more than one meaning based on context. That is both the strength and the danger of the language - requiring careful word selection.

So, apparently, Bobo the Orangutan could come to the line, pull ten shotgun shells from ihis bandoleer, stuff them into his mouth, draw them from his mouth, load them into his SxS and fire them withithout penalty. However, if Bobo spits them from his mouth, through thin air, into the shotgun's chambers and fires them, then that's a procedural and a miss for the first spat round and only a miss for every subsequent round so spat through the air into his shotgun and fired; right? :-) ;-) (I need to update my notes.)

As PWB said...you're wrong...so yes, you apparently do need to update your notes.

:wacko:

Wyatt; When you post a WTC, I just can't wait to see what kind of stuff you can come up with. Very entertaining on a Sunday morning. Can't wait to see you in Jan.

KK

KK

Although I do possess a bizarre imagination you can't make up most of this shi...........stuff.

Lately I'm beginning to feel a little cursed. The past month or so with the timer has been.........lets say, challenging.

As things go this OP was 2 on the scale for yesterday. By my count there were a couple of 5's, several 7's, a 9 that should have been a 10 and a "Oh My God he/she didn't just go down there"...........in other words a typical weekend lately

Come on........January!

see wut happens win I taint thar to babysit Wyatt!!!!!

and I still can't believe people arguing with Wolfie!!!

NO...that is NOT right.

<_<

NO...that is NOT right.

<_<

Actually, I'M not wrong. It was the Orangutan.

Wyatt; When you post a WTC, I just can't wait to see what kind of stuff you can come up with. Very entertaining on a Sunday morning. Can't wait to see you in Jan.

KK

Actually KK, ifn you'll look South at the same time ole Wyatt is standing up, you can probably see the top of his hat...... :lol::lol::lol:

KK: and I can't wait to see you in about 2 weeks. Have safe travels and bring me a nice Christmas present... ;)

..........Widder

BUT, BUT, BUT. BUT,,,,,,,,

It has been answered repeatedly by the official spokesman of the ROC!!! I would think that shud settle it,,,, but if someone else THINKS differently, well by all means maybe this can go on for 5 more pages....

Hey CC,

Reading this is better than watching snow falling down :blink:

Nawlins

That was simple so why shouldn't you get it right.

In the old days before I mellowed I would taken offense to that statement and told you to go suck a bullet..............thank goodness I've mellowed

Archived