SASS Wire Forum

Henry Big Boy

Col Del Rio

About the only time they show up at CAS matches is when a fella gets all excited about comin' out and buys one because "it's there".

Sorry about the underline above...Anyways, once said cowboy goes and shoots a match or two, the Henry is usually relegated to a backup or hunting/target shooting gun. The money was well spent on a good American made gun, just not one of the best ones for competition.

Fillmore

Greetings,

Are Henry Big Boys a decent choice for SASS/Wild Bunch?

Col Del Rio

Just like any rifle, they will need work to make them smoother and therefor faster.

There are very few after market parts that will turn them into a race gun and their weight makes them better if the targets are a little farther out than what we normally shoot.

There are a few FEW that like them.

You just don't see very many. And there just could be a reason for that. <_<

In fact. I don't remember the last time I even seen one at a match. It's been years.

And yes. I have shoot a few.

So that's about all I will say about that.

They do make a great .22 (I have 4)

And I like the company. They do a lot for our young shooters.

Here we go again……..predicted 4 pages and we'll get into USA vs. Italy and blah blah blah………... :lol:

Just remember, no rifle, short of an 1873 Winchester, which of course needs to be completely reworked and short stroked, could ever work for cowboy action shooters. All other rifles, be they made by Marlin, Henry, Rossi, or whomever, pale by comparison, and are not worthy of being used for cowboy action shooting. After all, nothing rings truer to the American cowboy spirit than shooting an Italian copy of an American rifle.

Purchase the rifle that you like and can afford, and don't worry what other people think. And yes, it will work fine for both CAS and Wild Bunch matches. We have several shooters at our local clubs that use them and enjoy shooting them.

Just remember, no rifle, short of an 1873 Winchester, which of course needs to be completely reworked and short stroked, could ever work for cowboy action shooters. All other rifles, be they made by Marlin, Henry, Rossi, or whomever, pale by comparison, and are not worthy of being used for cowboy action shooting. After all, nothing rings truer to the American cowboy spirit than shooting an Italian copy of an American rifle.

Purchase the rifle that you like and can afford, and don't worry what other people think. And yes, it will work fine for both CAS and Wild Bunch matches. We have several shooters at our local clubs that use them and enjoy shooting them.

Certainly your opinion...and perhaps I should just leave it at that...after all, you may be right.

But I don't think so.

Trying to make this an American Made vs. Italian Made is just plain silly. And to say to the OP to not worry about what people think...well...I just don't know what to say to that. It's important to get folk's opinion that have experience.

The 1866/1873 design and the Marlin 1894 are by far best suited for this game. The Henry Big Boy is NOT.

Phantom

Certainly your opinion...and perhaps I should just leave it at that...after all, you may be right.

But I don't think so.

Trying to make this an American Made vs. Italian Made is just plain silly. And to say to the OP to not worry about what people think...well...I just don't know what to say to that. It's important to get folk's opinion that have experience.

The 1866/1873 design and the Marlin 1894 are by far best suited for this game. The Henry Big Boy is NOT.

Phantom

+1

It's not about who made it. It's about what works.

Now both things being equal? Yes. I would buy American. But that is not what this

is about.

It is about what works.

I started not to post on this. But DANG. I have seen so many buy one over the years only

to have to replace it very quickly. And lose money while doing it.

Just hate to see that happen.

If you get it and shoot it, know that you'll end up wanting to upgrade eventually. They're a lot of fun to shoot and it's hard to beat the looks of that brass receiver as it ages.

eventually you will want to go faster than the Yellow Boy will allow you to go.

Sure are Beautiful guns though!

I started with a HBB, and soon lucked into a trade for a Rossi 92. HBB was a learning experience, and had it to do over I would have gone the Uberti route like so many here will tell you. Buy once, cry once. Loved the HBB but not for this game.

You could always get their version of the 1860...

In relation to SANCTIONED Wild Bunch matches: The Henry Big boy is ILLEGAL.

It is NOT listed as an acceptable firearm and is not a reproduction of any existing rifle of the period.

A request for acceptance has NOT been received from Henry Firearms.

Official position of the WBAS Committee and re-affirmed by Hipshot the Wild Bunch member of the Committee.

Guest Tascosa Kid #90830

I have used the HBB for over 3 yrs., no problems with action, hit most targets in a somewhat good time[ LOL] . Recently bought 73 and had short stroke kit put in, same time, still hit most targets, but now feel this is the correct gun of the west. A beginner would do well to start with the bb for the price. We all seem to trade guns as we progress anyway. Just my thought. Congrats PHANTOM you did good. Tascosa Kid

It is NOT listed as an acceptable firearm and is not a reproduction of any existing rifle of the period.

Official position of the WBAS Committee and re-affirmed by Hipshot the Wild Bunch member of the Committee.

There ya go. You asked for SASS/WB

The above takes it out right there.

If you just want to shoot, the HBB is a great rifle. It's what I started SASS with. They're good right out of the box and Henry is a great complany to deal with. That being said, if you want to COMPETE, get something else.

Tell that to this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKz8brpH0I

Fillmore

If you just want to shoot, the HBB is a great rifle. It's what I started SASS with. They're good right out of the box and Henry is a great complany to deal with. That being said, if you want to COMPETE, get something else.

+1

Well said Philly

All the shooters that I saw with a HBB wound up having problems with feeding ONLY when they try and work 'em fast. They're a good solid rifle for hunting and just shooting. For competition they are lacking.

Rye

I bought one before I started shooting SASS. Used it for the first 3 matches. It worked fine for a beginner rifle. I was lucky and found someone who wanted to buy it off me and I got a '73. Spent 8 months getting it slicked up then switched to B Western. Then had to find a Marlin.

I did shoot with a really fast shooter at the Oregon State Match last year. This cowboy made top 20 shooters with a Henry! When I asked why he shot a henry, He said he did the same as me. Bought the rifle before knowing.

Thanks, Happy Jack, for posting this response. I had the impression that the HBB "allowance" language was inadvertently omitted from the WBAS rules. Now I know better.

I have seen the HBB used in local matches. I've never seen one used by a top shooter in a major match. Key Hay's account is the first I've heard of a top shooter using the HBB.

I would say to a new shooter that if you already have one, bring it out. You can play the game with it and have fun. I would never RECOMMEND the HBB as a SASS rifle.

Archived