SASS Wire Forum

I'm a Marlin guy

Key Hay

I got started in this sport with a Henry Big Boy .357. Was convinced that I need a 73. So I got one and fought my way thru all the usual issues (broken bolt tabs, timing, Mag spring tension etc). Shot my first year with it and got it pretty slicked up. Then I switched to B-Western.

Got my first marlin (a 45 LC so It could double for Wild Bunch). Then got another, then another!

I like that you can toss a reload in the side really fast, and if you get a split case….no biggie, it still shoots. When you get one dialed in they tend to stay that way.

OK so they are a little harder to find but you're into one for about the same or less than a slicked up 73, and there American made!

And here's the controversial statement, there just as fast as 73s IMHO.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoot what ya like Key Hey, I got one of each, each one tuned by a well known gunsmith. I shoot my 73 nearly all of the time, in fact I can't remember last time I had my Marlin out to the range.

To each their own.

I have a '73, all slicked up, as well as two Marlins. The '73 is just a paper weight now as the first Marlin is my "go to" rifle. The second one is my "back up" but it has NEVER seen action. LUV my JM Marlins.

Al

Howdy KEY.

we can call you 'The Marlin Guy'. :D

I favor the Marlin also.

Yes, they are getting harder to find, especially the JM brand and double especially if its the Cowboy models.

They are getting pricey. But when ya get one and have it set up like ya want by the appropriate gunsmith, you will have a very competitive rifle.

Just be sure to bring your Marlin to the NC State.

..........Widder

Shoot what ya like Key Hey, I got one of each, each one tuned by a well known gunsmith. I shoot my 73 nearly all of the time, in fact I can't remember last time I had my Marlin out to the range.

To each their own.

I don't think one should shoot what they like...nope...

I will amend that to 'shoot with whatever SASS legal rifle you prefer (if shooting in a SASS match) ' how about that? Better?

Can't have people shooting at what they'd like to shoot at, I might have to start wearing body armor. Or maybe they'd shoot at things they liked, but then that favorite hat that you really like would have holes in it.

I will amend that to 'shoot with whatever SASS legal rifle you prefer (if shooting in a SASS match) ' how about that? Better?

Can't have people shooting at what they'd like to shoot at, I might have to start wearing body armor. Or maybe they'd shoot at things they liked, but then that favorite hat that you really like would have holes in it.

Do whatever ya want...couldn't care less.

Marlins...73's...66's...92's or Win94's...who cares.

It's the same old, same old.

I think everyone knows that a Marlin can be completely competitive...and that the 73's are the most popular...probably for some legit reason.

so...whatever.

Phantom

Never shot anything but a Marlin (24 inch CB Ltd). Love it! I know about "The DREADED marlin Jam" but it ain't happened yet.

I'm ain't Duece Stevens running it but for an old fart I can make it hum.

Besides...it fun to be contrary.

I think everyone knows that a Marlin can be completely competitive...and that the 73's are the most popular...probably for some legit reason.

so...whatever.

Phantom

Oh, sorry, I thought you were making a joke so I was just having fun with it along the same lines. It appears I was wrong. Carry on.

If ya want to be contrary shoot a Lightning.

I'm B Western so Marlin is my Category legal rifle. But I just like um. Now I won't be selling my 73 anytime soon.

I'm a Marlin guy too, except they are very hard to find and expensive in 44-40. Also.... there are not any Marlins made anymore... just them @&^$% Remlins!

I'm a Marlin guy too, except they are very hard to find and expensive in 44-40. Also.... there are not any Marlins made anymore... just them @&^$% Remlins!

Wish folks would stop with the Remlins...I think Remington is spending a lot of $$$$$$ and effort to retool and keep the 1894 alive.

Calling them "Names"...ain't good. When folks do that to me it makes me sometimes want to say ()$@#&!# you and take my investment dollars and spend them somewhere else.

Oy...

Phantom

That's why everyone shoots a Marlin...cuz they'ze just as good as a 73.

;)

Nope! I diagree with ya' Phantom. They're better! :D

I don't want to get into "mine's better than your's . . . mine's better than your's . . . . mine's better than your's . . . . nah, nah . . . nah, nah nah . . . . "

All I have to do is point out that Deuce Stevens holds the record of 1.27s for ten shots and what rifle did he do it with? Thaaaaaat's right! . . . . a Marlin!

I've got 2 blazing fast "Spur" Marlins :wub: Ask folks around here that have seen me shoot 'em. I DO get razzed though when they hiccup or they are not runnin' right :blush: . . . but when they are . . . there's nothin' faster!

Wish folks would stop with the Remlins...I think Remington is spending a lot of $$$$$$ and effort to retool and keep the 1894 alive.

Calling them "Names"...ain't good.

If they'd spent that money and effort before shipping a bunch of broken rifles out of Ilion people wouldn't be calling them names now. Two years ago I spent what was for me a lot of money on an 1895 and when it arrived the stock was broken at the tang. Brand new from the distributor. I'm glad they're trying to get their quality back up to where it ought to be, but if they want me to buy another new one they need to put one in my hands that's ready to shoot.

Fool me once...

Around home all the cool guys shoot marlins, 'cept maybe Noper, but he don't really count. I tell everyone the marlins run better in the snow and that's what we have to shoot.

Now that right there is the best reason I've ever heard to justify shooting the Marlin..... :lol:

When I bought my first Cowboy rifle (in .45), I was only alittle familiar with the Marlin name.....not the rifle itself per se.

Then quickly afterwards, I also started eyeballing some of those beautiful 73's. Ah, no doubt they are beautiful and have the deserved reputation of being set up perfect for CAS.

Reputable businesses like Pioneer Gun, Cowboy & Indians, Long Hunter and Spur started making owning a Marlin, 66 or 73 something to be extra proud to shoot in CAS.

The 73's were costing alot more than the Marlin, and in my neck of the woods, that was the major thing for alot of Cowboy shooters in deciding which rifle to buy.

So when I went to buy my 2nd rifle for CAS in .38, I looked at the 66, 73 and Marlin. And ya know what steered me to the Marlin.....how it felt on my shoulder..... period.

I did like the fact that it was cheaper than the 73, but nearly $800 still ain't cheap.

As far as which is fastest, I'm pretty much convinced that its the shooter and not the rifle, ESPECIALLY when both models of the rifle have been set up by a good riflesmith.

No doubt Deuce is fast and very well could be the fastest we will ever see.

But have you seen Dang it Dan cut loose with his 73. He is Just as awesome. They oughta start calling him Dang it Awesome Dan... ;)

I'm still a Marlin shooter. Love the 1894 setup. Love the beauty of the 73.

I also love the fun we all have in these conversations of 66 vs. Marlin vs. 73 vs 92 vs..... etc...

Y'all have a great day. For me, I got a couple Marlins to 'tweak'..... :lol:

..........Widder

You can shoot what ever you want as long as you keep a Marlin for a backup when your main gun goes south. IMHO I think Marlins look better than any other out there. I've got Marlins as safe queens, hunting purposes and sending lead down range. I still don't have enough and I'm always on the lookout for more.

I have both a 73 and a Marlin. Since I shoot Classic Cowboy most of the time it's the 73. Howsumever the Marlin was my first. When I go to non-SASS clubs it's the Marlin. I like them both equal.

At last weekend's match all of the rifle jams on my posse, and there were many, were all Marlins. I'm sure it was just chance because I've seen '73's jam also. What I like about Marlinsas brass picker-upper is that they dump it all in one neat pile. :)

Howdy,

Stock marlins do jam and there are proven ways to fix marlins.

Ive had work done on mine and I didn't have to go to the biggest name to get it right.

Check the ktgunsmith site for directions on how to de jam marlins.

Once you read how it is done you can decide if you feel comfortable doing it

or if you would rather have it done. I like having experienced hands doing this work.

So far once the work was done no further work or jams.

Just keep the screws tight and maybe buy spare screws.

Best

CR

Are they actually producing new 1894s? More specific, 1894s in cowboy configuration?

Not yet, but I sure wish.

I too, am a big Marlin Fan! Always think about getting a 73', but my Marlins just keep on running so I just stay with them. Maybe when one breaks down I will try a 73'.

I own several octagon Cowboy models: :FlagAm:

- 44-40 with 20" Barrel

- Century Limited 44-40 with 24" barrel case hardened and engraved receiver. (A REAL BEAUTY)

- Cowboy Competition 45 Colt, 20" Barrel and case hardened

- 32-20 Conversion with 20" Barrel

- 45-70 Gov't 26" Barrel

- 38-55 Cowboy 24" Barrel

(Had a CB 32 H&R... sold it gotta admit I kind of miss it)

Great rifles!

Ron,

You hit the one 'problem' that I wish wasn't there: the loosening screws.

Clean the threads of the srews with a non-petroleum based solvent. Paint the threads with a couple of coats of finger nail polish (any color you like, even pink, no one will know! ;) ) and let dry between coats. Screw them back in tight.

Guess that's why they made screwdriver knives

and. . . . to clear jams in '73's

cr

Last match I had my Marlin jam with two rounds left in the magazine. I suspected the bottom screw had backed out. When I got home, I disassembled it and let the two rounds out. I reassembled and it ran fine.

I don't want to get into "mine's better than your's . . . mine's better than your's . . . . mine's better than your's . . . . nah, nah . . . nah, nah nah . . . . "

All I have to do is point out that Deuce Stevens holds the record of 1.27s for ten shots and what rifle did he do it with? Thaaaaaat's right! . . . . a Marlin!

I've got 2 blazing fast "Spur" Marlins :wub: Ask folks around here that have seen me shoot 'em. I DO get razzed though when they hiccup or they are not runnin' right :blush: . . . but when they are . . . there's nothin' faster!

Yea...cus he couldn't do it with a 73...right.

Whatever...see ya in the winners circle ;)

OK . . . . ;)

I believe the record is 1.73 unless something has changed. I would be willing to bet that when that record is broken (and it will be) it will be with a '73. :)

Last match I had my Marlin jam with two rounds left in the magazine. I suspected the bottom screw had backed out. When I got home, I disassembled it and let the two rounds out. I reassembled and it ran fine.

So you left the unload table with rounds in the magazine? That would not have been allowed at any matches that I attend.

I believe the record is 1.73 unless something has changed. I would be willing to bet that when that record is broken (and it will be) it will be with a '73. :)

I stand corrected . . . 1.73 it is. My memory isn't what it used to be. What's the bet? A taco for a lobster? :lol:

So you left the unload table with rounds in the magazine? That would not have been allowed at any matches that I attend.

I asked for permission to remove the gun from the table and range was specifically instructed to take the gun to my truck. There were no round on carrier or in chamber. The lever was jammed open.

so...whatever.

Phantom

That's why everyone shoots a Marlin...cuz they'ze just as good as a 73.

;)

I don't think one should shoot what they like...nope...

Calling them "Names"...ain't good. When folks do that to me it makes me sometimes want to say ()$@#&!# you and take my investment dollars and spend them somewhere else.

Oy...

Phantom

For a guy who couldn't care less, Marlin shooters sure seem to be a burr under your saddle.

At yesterday's shoot, it was about an even three way tie between 66's/73's, Marlins, and '92's, with no others represented. I haven't seen that many '92's at a match in awhile.

I took second overall at my monthly club match (Behind Fast Enuff) with my 45 LC 24" marlin!

Archived