SASS Wire Forum

Effect on New Shooters

Null N. Void

I've been doing this closing in on 5 years now. I was fortunate to have Huckleberry Mike, Penelope Petticoat, and many others help, and I do mean help, when I started. They did not criticize, did not brag, just helped.

When I first started, the postings on the web had me worried about everything. I was worried about pulling my gun, staging my SG, what I was wearing. I didn't go to a State Match for a couple of years because I didn't have formal wear for the banquet and the costume articles in the Cowboy Chronicle made me even more paranoid about being there.

The last postings on using Standby, jeans and calling a DQ on a person for a legal move just add to the reasons someone whose interested in Cowboy shooting may say, "Naw, it's just not worth the hassle." The guns are expensive enough. Adding hassle to the mix, I think, drives people away.

For any new people reading this, at my club and at most clubs around here the basic way things are done are:

• Basic jeans are OK to shoot in. A cowboy hat is not mandatory, but keeps hot brass from going down your shirt or blouse.
  • You get to holster your straight draw guns and pick up a vertically staged double without a 170 violation.
  • Cross draws don't have to do the dance so long as the holster is past the 170.
  • We start you with "Standby, a pause, and a beep.
  • If you go to a bigger shoot, what you shoot in is OK for a meal or banquet.
  • If you're not sure, ask. We're not perfect, but we'll try to help.
  • We'll try to help with the rules as politely as we can.

As you get into different categories some of the costume rules get more exact, but for coming out and shooting a match in an age category, the above apply. Please come out to Wagram and shoot with us!

South Buffalo Slim

Secretary/Treasurer Cross Creek Cowboys

NC State Senior Champion

I think this information definitely needs to be emphasized to new people considering joining the sport. I say that because I AM new, and a lot of my concerns about starting out were generally unfounded. I'm not much for costuming, and I was worried that I'd have to put together some elaborate outfit to participate. I realized that pretty much all I had to do was throw on a cowboy hat (which I used to wear before I started CAS anyway), and the clothes I generally wear (jeans, plaid or western shirt, and boots) were fine. I had the decided advantage of having family that were already into CAS who helped me out though.

Btw, when I talk to my friends about coming down for a match, their biggest concern is always that they don't want to dress up. I can't blame them, I hate Halloween for instance. People just don't realize how reasonable the minimum requirements are.

Bein a brand new guy, my biggest concern isn't dressing up. But I've done some dress up for other stuff so...

I'm more worried about not bein self sufficient at my first matches. IE, not havin a gun cart...

I've got rifle covers and a couple possibles bags for ammo, so I think I'll get by, but I don't want to be "that guy" and not have my crap together.

Bein a brand new guy, my biggest concern isn't dressing up. But I've done some dress up for other stuff so...

I'm more worried about not bein self sufficient at my first matches. IE, not havin a gun cart...

I've got rifle covers and a couple possibles bags for ammo, so I think I'll get by, but I don't want to be "that guy" and not have my crap together.

Tom! Come down to Wartrace and join in the fun. We'll likely have a gun cart you can use and anything else you want or need. Drop me a PM and I'll tell you more. I'm a member down there and we're always happy to have new folks!!

I'm also hooked up with several other clubs that you can visit. It's good to be in middle Tennessee.

Tom! Come down to Wartrace and join in the fun. We'll likely have a gun cart you can use and anything else you want or need. Drop me a PM and I'll tell you more. I'm a member down there and we're always happy to have new folks!!

I'm also hooked up with several other clubs that you can visit. It's good to be in middle Tennessee.

Good news! I'm hopin to join y'all Saturday, as long as the weather holds.

Now Farmer Tom be sure to keep yore hand on yore wallet when ya deal with ole Blackwater! Many is the time that when I talk to him money seems to move from my wallet to his cash box :D Ole Blackwater is a good guy and I know he'll treat ya right.....good luck and have fun!

Kajun

We were all new once. If you let people know what you need, they will help. There's no need to be self sufficient in the first month or two. After that, you'll know what you need and have plenty of suggestions on where to get it. Leather can be expensive, but people have rigs they can lend while you figure out what suits you. I tell people to concentrate on guns first, then leather, then do as much costuming as you'd like. Even if you want different guns later, a good cowboy gun holds its value and you can use that value on something else that you think better suits you.

SBS

In the beginning, I use to go shooting in the canyon a couple times a month. I knew nothing of cas. I did have lots of western guns. I am not a modern gun guy. I have one semi auto pistol. Just personal preference.

I was shooting on Saturday in the canyon when approached by a couple. We talked and I was invited to a cowboy match. I went to watch. Met the couple there and they introduced me to others. Back then there were not New Shooter Clinics. No training. No SASS wire. Just people going to matches. You learned at the range what what was what. After going to several matches at different locations, I decided to give it a try.

I had the felt hat, jeans, long sleeve Sears work shirt and boots. Even had plain holsters I used when hunting. I had a canvas bag for ammunition and a couple of leather long gun socks. This allowed me to set my guns down on the ground leaning on the berms. Some clubs actually had long gun racks. What a plus. I did this for two years. Then I decided to build a small cart. I had been to Winter Range and carrying guns and a bag was not something I wanted to do walking that large range again.

It doesn't take long to figure out what is needed and that no one gets in your face if you don't have all the fancy clothes. As long as you are safe, you are welcome. Those who have been at the game longer than you, know you will figure it out like everyone else.

By the way, my very first match was not an informal club match. I choose End of Trail as my first ever competition match with any guns. How did I do. Not one person said a thing about how I was dressed in my work jeans and Sears shirt. How did I do? I didn't break any safety rules. I didn't hurt anyone. Hit more targets than I missed. and I finished at the top of the bottom 1/3 of shooters. All in all I think I did very well for a first timer. Oh...and I didn't break any guns.

So to those people out there that are thinking about cowboy action shooting. Yes, you can get helpful information here on the SASS forums. But it will not be like actually getting to the range and seeing it first hand. Go visit. Do not buy guns before you check it out. There are western type guns, usually inexpensive type that look the part but won't fit you, won't fit the category you want to shoot and won't hold up under the demands we put on our guns.

Get to the range. If someone offers you the chance to shoot their guns, by all means, don't be shy. Accept. They wouldn't have offered it they didn't mean it. CAS shooters are proud of their hardware choices and like to let other try them.

As far as all the confusing Rules threads here on the wire on "can you or can't you", as a new person thinking about trying cas shooting, all that doesn't matter until you get experience. And the only way to get experience is to get to the range and give it a try.

About needing a gun cart..... Most clubs now have loaners. Just ask if there is one you can use for the day.

The SASS forums are more of a winter shut in thing any way. Cabin fever topics (read rules nitpicking) come up all the time.

There is usually always a cowpoke that is by himself and will share a gun cart..

And... They rest of us will help out with needed stuff too....

Rance ;)

Thinkin' never let supplies get in the way of good shootin' :)

uuuhhh.. maybe bring yer own shotgun shells :blush:

Just a word on the gun cart issue. At my first match a guy offered to let us use his cart because my folks in law had one that could carry all the guns they needed, but an extra shooter's worth of guns wouldn't fit. I'd guess that you wouldn't want to come every month for a year with no cart, but folks seem more than willing to share space most of the time.

I've been shooting for a few years and every once in a while I leave my guncart home and just grab a pair of saddlebags for my ammo and such. We have vertical racks around the range and I just carry my long guns from one to another. No one ever says anything except sometimes the newer guys offer room in their carts but I just let them know, I'm fine.

Fillmore

Hey Slim!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Here are my 2 cents.

You don't have to shoot like the "top guys and gals" to have fun. I was addicted at my first match, despite being last and missing 44 targets on five stages.

After a few years, I would come out in the top half more than the bottom half. I was improving every year until about 2005 (hand surgery and Hubby quit shooting).

Now, I'm at the very bottom of the pack and still have a great time. I travel by myself to matches and the Convention. I am treated like family everywhere I go. I credit the SASS Wire for some of that. I've met so many wonderful people on the Wire and they are like old friends when we finally meet face-to-face.

I :wub: these people, the Wire, and this sport!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Farmer Tom, just my two cents but I would almost rather you come with nothing and find out what you really like, want and need than to come with things you have bought that isn't legal or doesn't work well and now you have to respend.

There is always extra guns, ammo, carts leather around to help a shooter out, old or new.

I agree whole heartedly with you South Buffalo Slim. New shooters are encouraged to join in on the fun at my club too. I created a page on our club's website called "Get Started in CAS" to let new shooters know they will feel welcome when they show up at our club. I think a club's website is a good place to let new shooters know how the club feels about costumes and equipment. www.OldFortParkerPatriots.com/start

I love this post, something like it should be stickied! I'm still a very new member myself, having only been to 4-5 small matches, no larger ones, and not even had my first annual renewal! I don't know if/how SASS is trying to expand our exposure or membership, but I can say the PERCEIVED cost/level of getting started is pretty tough. I spent more than 10 years in the Marine Corps, and can handle my way around just about anything with a trigger, and I was STILL intimidated to come out. I never dug 3 gun competitions because I'm just not that big of a fan of modern guns, so I never participated in "action shooting" in the civilian world. To be honest, I wouldn't have even gone out to my first SASS match if it weren't for some great folks on this forum. (Shout out to John Ray Davis, I will be eternally grateful for your help at my first match!!! )

I think that most folks that have been shooting for a while don't understand some of the other MANY things that could "scare newcomers away". Having been to a few matches, I'm less intimidated. Having been a shooter for a while, I had lower barriers for entry, but I was still nervous. Just for reference, here's a few:

• I didn't have a costume, and didn't know where to start. The last thing I wanted was to look like Woody from A Toy Story, given some of the high levels of dedication and authenticity I see on this forum
  • I joined in May, and it's just NOW getting to the point where I can comfortably find 45 Colt reloading supplies
  • I DARE anyone to move to the state of Maryland, and try to purchase 2 revolvers, 1 rifle, 1 shotgun. With the current climate and scare, it was TOUGH. It took ~4 months before I was allowed to take my last Colt home.
  • MD is not the most shooting friendly state, which just meant that finding ANY supplies (especially SASS) was tough. The interwebs isn't exactly the best place to look either...
  • Leathers aren't only expensive, but they're a WHOLE new level of complexity, and "I don't know what to buy"
  • Gun cart? What works for me? What's the right cost?
  • The RULES?? There are just so many, even reading them through 3x only made things worse. The Corps stresses safety on our ranges, so that's ingrained. To the point that a safety violator is almost an outcase. I didn't want to be that guy...
  • The Cliques? It's tough showing up with nothing, and not knowing anyone. ESPECIALLY since SASS pards are so fun and chatty, it can make it seem worse to be outside. Or the slow one..

That being said, let me add some Kudos to the list, and talk about the things that I believe we (and by that I mean us new guys, that are closer to remembering what we needed to learn) should focus (sticky?):

• John Ray Davis: He's the man in my books. He PM'd me on this forum, offered advice on costume, relaxed me, walked me through the rules. He gave me leather, irons, and ammo. He met me there, introduced me around, and generally made me feel like I had a friend from the first minute. THIS is what made me come back. THAT's why I probably ran through more than 1k 45 LC rounds in the next month, practicing and looking forward to the next match!!
  • Riverboat Bob and Millcreek Mona: They run a heck of a match. They brought the extended familiarity and comfort level. When I came back the next month (and the ones after that), John Ray wasn't there, and they showed me that the welcome mat was still out. They go out of their way every match to bring safety, comfort, camaraderie to every match.
  • Chuckaroo: I met him when I went out to a larger, higher level of competition in my area. He showed me a bigger picture, and a more competitive focus. I haven't been back since then, but mostly because I can only pick one weekend a month. He introduced me to a great bunch of pards, and helped me to see that I could shoot at other matches whenever the will & way struck.
  • Everyone I've never met on this website: LOTs of helpful info here! I don't post much, but I read often, and I appreciate the time and effort everyone puts into this!
  • Long Hunter, NSSF & Cowboy Action Town on YouTube: Learned a LOT about handling firearms and stages "The SASS Way"

I don't write this post to complain, and I don't do it to be harsh. My intent within all the rambling is to point out the things that were tough for me, and the things that helped.

I don't know that I have the chops yet to tell anyone around here how to do things, but I'm more than willing to help in any way that I can. Even if it's just thoughts on a "Newbie 101" sticky or something. If you're a newbie (or future newbie) and I can do anything to help, please ask. If you want to shoot in MD, give me a holler, and I'll try to pay forward the great help I got from others!

each and every one of us can have either a

positve - netural -negitive effect

on new shooters, simply by our actions during the whole shoot

or even more

offering something that they may need, only if the need is there

its all about choices, as is everything in life

I'm going to make a prediction: There will come a time in the not too distant future where you will look back at what you're currently thinking and laugh...because when you arrive at Wartrace you're going to find that you will be treated like family and they don't expect you to be "self sufficient." Most of us started the game with assistance from others. Those who start out "self sufficient" without fail have made some choices that they come to regret. Personally, I started with borrowed guns, borrowed pistol and rifle ammo and even a borrowed cowboy hat. Man that hat was ugly. I wore hiking boots and a pullover Northface knockoff. Oh yeah, I was stylin'. :)

When you arrive, ask whoever is close by to point out Blackwater Desperado. He'll take care of you and introduce you around. A few folks who come to mind that you're about to meet who will treat you every way but wrong is Randy St. Eagle, Branchawater Jack, C.W. Knight, Dobber, Buck Dodgers, Tombstone John, Whiskey Hayes, Papa Dave and I could go on and on. I promise in time...you're gonna laugh. I wish I lived closer so I could shoot with the Wartrace folks more frequently.

I'm going to make a prediction: There will come a time in the not too distant future where you will look back at what you're currently thinking and laugh...because when you arrive at Wartrace you're going to find that you will be treated like family and they don't expect you to be "self sufficient." Most of us started the game with assistance from others. Those who start out "self sufficient" without fail have made some choices that they come to regret. Personally, I started with borrowed guns, borrowed pistol and rifle ammo and even a borrowed cowboy hat. Man that hat was ugly. I wore hiking boots and a pullover Northface knockoff. Oh yeah, I was stylin'. :)

When you arrive, ask whoever is close by to point out Blackwater Desperado. He'll take care of you and introduce you around. A few folks who come to mind that you're about to meet who will treat you every way but wrong is Randy St. Eagle, Branchawater Jack, C.W. Knight, Dobber, Buck Dodgers, Tombstone John, Whiskey Hayes, Papa Dave and I could go on and on. I promise in time...you're gonna laugh. I wish I lived closer so I could shoot with the Wartrace folks more frequently.

I'm meeting Whiskey tomorrow afternoon for the wartrace range class. And I've traded PM's with Randy.

I'm lookin forward to meetin everybody, and I'm sure I'm the only one concerned about havin my crap together.

And I have all four guns. At a minimum I made a mistake with the rifle, I bought a 94 some years ago. So like you're saying... I shoulda watched a bit then bought.

I agree whole heartedly with you South Buffalo Slim. New shooters are encouraged to join in on the fun at my club too. I created a page on our club's website called "Get Started in CAS" to let new shooters know they will feel welcome when they show up at our club. I think a club's website is a good place to let new shooters know how the club feels about costumes and equipment. www.OldFortParkerPatriots.com/start

Thank you for the link, Luna and that's a great "getting started" page. We are planning something similar for our club's website and this gives me some ideas. Your is nice and concise.

Slim, thanks much for starting this thread. Thanks also to Allie Mo for making it sticky.

I, too, had nothing when I contacted our club's match director Cowboy Junky and received an enthusiastic invitation to come out to a Greenville Gunfighters match. The message was NOT that I needed to get my stuff together in order to get started. In fact, it was the opposite. Junky told me NOT to buy anything (not clothing, leather and certainly not guns) but just come out. He asked me to bring suitable (he explained that) ammunition IF I had some, otherwise come out anyway.

I showed up wearing tennis shoes (prohibited footwear), a ball cap (prohibited headgear), and a polar fleece pullover (very likely not representative of the 19th Century. Nobody said diddly about how I was dressed, or that I didn't have ANY guns or leather. It was, "howdy", "glad to see you", "happy you came out", and "how can I help". One fellow lent me an extra gunbelt, another handed me a pair of revolvers to use, and the shooters practically lined up to hand me a different shotgun and rifle to try on each stage.

I had visited another local club about two years earlier and had seen a little bit of a match but I had not read the rules but people explained things along the way. I did have some action pistol competition experience but I had never fired a single action revolver, a lever action rifle, or a side by side double.

I had a blast shooting the guns (love those steel targets) but it was the people that made me want to come back.

I agree with all the positive comments that others made. I'll add a couple of thoughts.

First and foremost, in our club (and I believe we are typical of SASS clubs), we WANT new shooters. We are looking to grow our sport. We don't just "tolerate" new folks, we are excited to see them. Spectators are welcome but if you let on that you are interested in getting started shooting cowboy we are more than happy to help you. Recruiting and helping new shooters is fun! Cowboy shooters are addicts and the worst enablers you will ever see.

Cowboy shooting means we dress like folks from the Old West. It's part of the gig and for many folks the costuming is as important as the shooting. Personally, it meant little to me in the beginning but I didn't mind it. Later on my interest in costuming started to grow. I know other shooters who meet the minimum requirements (which are really easy to meet; I think I bought a $5.00 shirt at a thrift shop and was good to go) but don't care to do much more. I have never heard a shooter complain about the "level" of someone else's costume. If you are a first time shooter, you might not hear a word said about what you wore to the range. As far as I am concerned, a first time shooter can wear a gorilla suit. I wouldn't turn them away.

Don't worry about not having a guncart. There is usually someone on your posse with space on their cart for your long gun(s). Some clubs have loaner carts. Before I got long guns, I carried my ammo and stuff in a nylon range bag. You can carry your long guns in cases or sleeves between stages; it is no sweat. There are also many ways to assemble a cart inexpensively from things like golf bags, baby strollers, dollies, and little red wagons.

What is your part as a new shooter? Be a good guest. Show up a little early. Speak up and introduce yourself and say that you are a prospective new shooter and ask for some help. If possible, bring suitable ammo and shotshells. If someone offers to let you shoot their ammo, offer to pay for it or to trade some components (your offer will likely be declined but it's polite to offer). Be quick to offer to pitch in. I think this is key. Running a match takes lots of volunteer labor and if you show that you are willing to pitch in you will make a good impression. Keep a positive and friendly attitude and you will fit in with cowboy shooters.

Yes, some of the discussions on the Wire can be sort of negative. The discourse will improve with the weather. I never hear bickering from shooters at matches.

I always try to talk to any spectators at any of the shoots that I attend. I will do the saddlebag's and gun socks to the shoots that do have the long gun racks. It is not that difficult to carry what you need in the saddlebags. There are some ranges that are not as easy to just carry as others so then I will bring along my cart. I have never had anyone say anything about carrying my long guns and yes you can almost bet someone will offer their extra space on their carts 100% of the time. Sometimes I like to carry just to walk a little slower from stage to stage and just stop and smell the roses on my way. It is a great game to play and room for all of us. When I see a negative article on the wire I usually will just skip over it and look for another post to read. Being retired is not about running you mouth in a negative manner is my thoughts. Always fun to see the shine in the new shooters eyes after each stage. Keeps me wanting to play as much as possible.

GREAT post Slim!

Thanks for making this a sticky as well! As a brand new shooter to CASS I really appreciate this information. I actually attended a whole match last Saturday and I really felt like I was welcomed. I did not shoot but the offers were made and I merely came to watch and see how the routine is done. I have never even been to any kind of organized shooting event and was nervous about how I would be percieved. It all disappeared after about 5 minutes. As far as outfits are concerned there were folks there in jeans, boots, and western shirts all the way to decked out B western heroes! They looked good and you could tell they had spent some time gathering their outfits. As far as cowboy hats go they really help because the range is situated so that after lunch you have the low sun glaring at you. It also keeps hot brass and occasional flying lead off of you as well. The hardest part (for me) is deciding which leather rig I need. I MAY build our cart as I am sharing with the kids. I encourage anyone to go to a match and check it out. I bet you won't be there more than 2 minutes before soeone approaches you and introduces themselves. Thanks to ALL for making this a great sport that I look forward to particapating in for a very long time.

OK

Y'all think this would be a great sport but you worry about perhaps embarrassing yourself?

No problem. We use aliases! Just use a different name at your next match! :)

I'm lookin forward to meetin everybody, and I'm sure I'm the only one concerned about havin my crap together.

You will definitely not be the only one. I was so nervous at my first shoot about doing something stupid that I was almost unable to think.

I will be attending my third shoot this weekend at the Bar-3. Cannot praise the people I met there enough. Made my wife and I feel so welcome. All the encouragement I received both on and off the shooting line was unbelievable.I would name names but I am afraid i would forget someone.

I also want to second that praise for the shooters at the Texas Ten Horns. They were my second shoot and I was made just as welcome there.

BTW I am working on building my own gun cart so for now I am using a BRIGHT blue range bag. No one even mentioned the bag not being authentic. So don't worry about having everything just perfect, your fellow shooters will give you plenty time to get everything in order.

Had so much fun at each shoot that I joined both clubs my first day.

If you are ever in East Texas look me up.

My biggest regret in this game is not jumping right in. I spent too much time gather guns and gear. In the time I was gathering my gear, I got distracted by competitive archery and missed FIVE years of the best sport I've ever been involved in. My advice to new shooters is gather what you have and get to a match. Call ahead to the contacts for the match and let them know what you have and they will help you get started. We all love this game and want to share it with those that might be interested.

My biggest regret in this game is not jumping right in.

I would tend to think this is true for many shooters. If I hadn't been convinced to just go out and shoot with borrowed guns, I'd have probably spent a long time gathering guns and gear before I ever started too. Gotta get out there and just do it!

The only regret I have about jumping right in was buying a Henry Big Boy. I quickly traded it in on a '73. The OMV's I bought I shoot today and I still have the Baikal SxS, although I've switched to a '97. Don't wait until you have everything, you'll miss too much fun.

SBS

I would add one thing. If there is more than one local group, shoot with all of them a couple of times before you affiliate with one.

Hi Cato,

Most clubs I've belonged to charge a minimal fee, $25-$30. Once you join, you can vote for officers and get $5 off your match fees, which would save you $60 if you shoot every month. The club where I am an officer now, also records your vote on TG Summit items.

Regards,

Allie

Archived