SASS Wire Forum

Owning or having a shotgun shell in your home, maybe illegal

Try Emily Miller's story for a few more details; sounds like the police and the DA are trying to escape civil liability for a poor initial decision, based on an unreliable informant. Now it's out of control.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/20/dc-businessman-trial-one-shotgun-shell-wasnt-given/

LL

I have been told that it is the same in Mass if you don't have an FID. Residents of other states are ok in Mass if they have a permit in their own states (brass, bullets and pepper spray). That makes it a wee bit of a problem for Vermont resident's who have no permits at all.

Marshal:

As best as I can tell, the major difference seems to be that in DC, you need to register your guns, and only owners of registered guns can possess ammo, including components. It seems that this gentlemen kept his guns in VA to avoid the DC silliness, and so was not legally qualified to possess ammo in DC. (Tough lesson to learn; if you are going to be a shooter in a gun-unfriendly jurisdiction, learn the technicalities of the jurisdiction's laws, and don't have ammo or components in your home unless you have a DC registered gun.)

In MA, you need a permit to buy or possess a firearm, and only permit holders can buy ammo or components. If the fellow in DC were in MA, and had a permit, he could have ammo or components, regardless of where he kept his guns. (And if a Vermonter, on his way to a SASS match in MA, keeps his unloaded guns locked in the trunk or a locking gun case, and the ammo separate and locked, I doubt that he would have any troubles.)

In either case, a raid by 30 officers in tactical gear, based upon information from a prejudiced informant who had lied earlier in an effort to obtain a restraining order against her estranged husband, and resulting in $10,000 in damage, seems way over the top to me.

Somebody asked about the earlier raid; in Miller's article, it sounds as though the defendant allowed an earlier search; another lesson in standing on your rights NOT to be subjected to a search without a warrant.

LL

I agree with Badger Mountain Charlie. Many gun owners and most SASS members continue to look at the actions of the Federal Government and some States (like New York) as something that will never happen to them and that gun owners are engaged in a full scale war to protect their 2A rights.

The war by the Government in California is going so well that Smith & Wesson and Ruger have announced they will no longer sell firearms in that state.

Marshal:

As best as I can tell, the major difference seems to be that in DC, you need to register your guns, and only owners of registered guns can possess ammo, including components. It seems that this gentlemen kept his guns in VA to avoid the DC silliness, and so was not legally qualified to possess ammo in DC. (Tough lesson to learn; if you are going to be a shooter in a gun-unfriendly jurisdiction, learn the technicalities of the jurisdiction's laws, and don't have ammo or components in your home unless you have a DC registered gun.)

In MA, you need a permit to buy or possess a firearm, and only permit holders can buy ammo or components. If the fellow in DC were in MA, and had a permit, he could have ammo or components, regardless of where he kept his guns. (And if a Vermonter, on his way to a SASS match in MA, keeps his unloaded guns locked in the trunk or a locking gun case, and the ammo separate and locked, I doubt that he would have any troubles.)

In either case, a raid by 30 officers in tactical gear, based upon information from a prejudiced informant who had lied earlier in an effort to obtain a restraining order against her estranged husband, and resulting in $10,000 in damage, seems way over the top to me.

Somebody asked about the earlier raid; in Miller's article, it sounds as though the defendant allowed an earlier search; another lesson in standing on your rights NOT to be subjected to a search without a warrant.

LL

I don't think so.

Down near the bottom of the first page (4th paragraph from the bottom) of the third link, it says, >At the second hearing, the judge disallowed the first warrantless search and the fruits of it. This eliminated a box of rifle ammunition from the charges.<

If he had given consent for the search, then it would not matter if they had a warrant or not, and the evidence should not have been disallowed.

What I don't understand is LEOs going along with this sort of crap to the point of wrecking a home, terrorizing families and neighborhoods, and breaking far more laws that the alleged perp. Mkaes me think that some of them actually enjoy it.

Careful there, Forty.... someone may take exception to your critique. :wacko:

Yep... and I do believe this is the direction Mister De Leon would like to take us. :angry:

Mkaes me think that some of them actually enjoy it.

There are some, yes. I remember working with one that enjoyed slamming a person against his squad car, and would brag about it, he also said his favorite time was kicking doors in, even when unlocked. MT

The war by the Government in California is going so well that Smith & Wesson and Ruger have announced they will no longer sell firearms in that state.

Correction: They will no longer sell semi-auto pistols in that state.

The micro-stamp law affects only the semi-auto pistols. S&W has already said they hope to make up the lost semi-auto sales in expanded revolver sales.

Laz

Yup really.

Keep in mind those of us that read and post on discussion forums are more actively involved and are politically aware of the events going around the country. Alas we are just a very small minority of SASS members and gun owners across the nation.

The harsh reality is it is very difficult to get laws overturned by the legislature. Consider that pot laws are starting to be changed after 45 - 50 years after use became common. Hard to imagine what gun manufacturers would still be around in 50 years if laws like California become common across the country.

The good news is grass root efforts are starting to take place and some states have or are passing strong pro-gun laws. The bad news is Congress in D.C. and Libs and RHINOs that will sell us out in a heartbeat for more money and power.

Correction: They will no longer sell semi-auto pistols in that state.

The micro-stamp law affects only the semi-auto pistols. S&W has already said they hope to make up the lost semi-auto sales in expanded revolver sales.

Laz

And they are teaming up with several pro-2nd Amendment civil rights groups to fight it in court.

So many below the line things I want to say about the individuals that want to take our freedoms but think they will have the power to stop the federal train wreck to follow when a change is forced upon them.

What with the things going on in todays world, all it may take is a malicious person to call in an say you, or maybe that even I, have WMD, or evil plots to get into these situations. Our doors rammed opened, our home ransacked, and destroyed. Then what will it look like with the amount of ammo and powder a CAS has for reloading and needed for a month of shooting and practice?

MT

What I don't understand is LEOs going along with this sort of crap to the point of wrecking a home, terrorizing families and neighborhoods, and breaking far more laws that the alleged perp. Mkaes me think that some of them actually enjoy it.

This is exactly what happened in the Town of High River, Alberta during the 2013 spring floods. The RCMP literally broke into homes, without a warrant and confiscated all firearms that were not in a strong safe. They even took long guns that were legally stored, ie: trigger locked. Houses that were not even affected by the flood but were in the evacuation area had their houses broken into and guns taken.

The Federal Government disbanded the long gun registry about a year and a half ago and all the records were ordered to be destroyed. The only houses that were broken into by the RCMP were the ones that had guns, which means that the registry still exists. The investigation into the RCMP actions is still ongoing and is supposed to be publicly released in March 2014. Up here we call it, "The RCMP High River Gun Grab". Still waiting for someone to come out with that on a t-shirt,

Archived