SASS Wire Forum

constant spam phone call I get-best beware

Trigger Mike

My cell phone kept getting a foreign sounding man asking for Abbe that he pronounced abbey. I kept telling him he had the wrong number and he would argue with me, "come on now, I have the right number". I kept telling him to never call again. He would call 3 times in a day sometimes and would call for several days. sometimes his number would be blocked. I let my wife talk to him to tell him she is not Abbe and he told her he had money for her. She laughed at him and hung up. He kept calling anyway. One day he called but this time his number was open so I could see it. I told him wrong number and he hung up this time. I called the number back to see if a company name came out. When he just said hello I asked him what company is this. He said publishers mumble house. I told him to stop calling my number. He got mad and told me to get off his "&%$^ line" and hung up. This totally ticked me off, especially since I make it a habit to not cuss. I called him back and he hung up3 times. I called again and he said it was his turn to talk and he was tired of people thinking he was a thief. I said I am tired of you calling the wrong number and not believing me and then cussing at me.

The very next morning he called again and asked for David. I told him I was Mike. He said "come on I know this is David". so I said , alright you got me, I am David. He said he had a check for me and wanted to mail it to me but he needed to insure it and so I needed to go to CVS or Walmart and buy a $275 gift card and send it to him. I said I was unemployed and did not have the $275. He said I should use my social security check which told me he is after senior citizens. I said I am not old enough for social security. He acted surprised and I told him I was only 30 and unemployed for a couple of years. He replied "you need to go get a job". he then hung up.

The NEXT day he called the same number and asked for Abbe again. I told him when you called this number yesterday you asked for David and I told you I do not have any money. He hung up and thus far I have not heard from him.

I have some Indian call center that calls me all the time. They always have an American name..."Hi, I am....Bob. How is the baseball?" said in a thick Indian accent. "I am calling you from the Windows Service Center, blah, blah..."

After numerous attempts to politely asking, and then firmly telling them to stop calling, I gave up and just have fun with it.

Them: "Oh, hello sir, this is Kevin, there is problem with your compu..."

Me: "Don't worry, Kevin, I don't use a computer. I use an abacus."

Or....

Them: "Hello, this is Steve, I am calling about your Windows compu..."

Me: "I don't use Windows, I use Doors."

Or...

Them: "Hello, this is Roger, etc..."'

Me: "Pizzeria Italiano, this is Mario, wadda your order?" No, this is Pizza place! You too good for Pizza!?"

I have some Indian call center that calls me all the time. They always have an American name..."Hi, I am....Bob. How is the baseball?" said in a thick Indian accent. "I am calling you from the Windows Service Center, blah, blah..."

After numerous attempts to politely asking, and then firmly telling them to stop calling, I gave up and just have fun with it.

Them: "Oh, hello sir, this is Kevin, there is problem with your compu..."

Me: "Don't worry, Kevin, I don't use a computer. I use an abacus."

Or....

Them: "Hello, this is Steve, I am calling about your Windows compu..."

Me: "I don't use Windows, I use Doors."

Or...

Them: "Hello, this is Roger, etc..."'

Me: "Pizzeria Italiano, this is Mario, wadda your order?" No, this is Pizza place! You too good for Pizza!?"

:lol: I like those. I get the call about fixing my computer all the time to.

I tell em I'm busy and ask for their home number so I can call em back.

Try this one... "This is Officer So& So, you are a person of interest in a homicide that took place at this address and phone number. We have found you have called this number several times recently and the deceased made note of a caller being dangerous... We are tracking your phone call and at this time you are advised that you have the right to remain silent, you have the right..."

Since caller ID any number that I do not recognize I answer by saying "city dam, this is the beaver keeper speaking". If needed, I try to sell them beavers until they hang up. I can be a very aggressive beaver salesman. My kids friends thought I was a beaver breeder until they hit about 14 years old. Entertainment is where you find it.

Since caller ID any number that I do not recognize I answer by saying "city dam, this is the beaver keeper speaking". If needed, I try to sell them beavers until they hang up. I can be a very aggressive beaver salesman. My kids friends thought I was a beaver breeder until they hit about 14 years old. Entertainment is where you find it.

:D

You are all a lot more polite than I am. I profanely tell them what they are...in my opinion...and hang up. If they call back I tell them to put their supervisor on the line, and tell him what I think of him. After a very short time they get enough of my "abuse" and stop calling.

If they make the mistake of letting me have their phone number I call them back every time I think of it and tell them to stop calling me. God help them if I get one of their executive's name and phone number, because I'll call back at all hours of the day and night from any phone I can find just to show them how annoying it can be to receive such crap. I'll give their number out to every SOB that calls me and tell them to call that number instead of my home number.

Try this one... "This is Officer So& So, you are a person of interest in a homicide that took place at this address and phone number. We have found you have called this number several times recently and the deceased made note of a caller being dangerous... We are tracking your phone call and at this time you are advised that you have the right to remain silent, you have the right..."

I sure like this approach.

Other comments I've used

Sorry, we only have Apple® computers. (Since most say they are from Microsoft®.)

I'm sorry, but my computer died six months ago, and since I'm unemployed, I can't afford to buy a new one.

I did receive a couple calls from the Indians wanting to talk to me about my "Microsoft computer." I told them I didn't need any help and asked them to remove my name from their call list, then, I hung up. After that, I haven't heard any more from them. They're smarter than the Arabs with the lottery scheme.

Also, a few years ago, did anyone ever receive those real-but-counterfeit checks (several thousand dollars each) on real, duplicated check stock, issued by real law firms on the east coast, drawn on their banks using their real checking accounts and autosigned with the real signature of one of the law firms' designated signatories?

I knew it could not be legitimate, but it was slick. The envelopes were all postmarked out of Canada, which was the first clue, but the banks and law firms were legitimate, large firms in New York, Boston, etc. Very slick and the accompanying documentation was all very sensible and legitimate-looking and autosigned by a real principal of the law firm

The deal was that you would receive the check, as a small percentage of your lottery winnings, deposit this check in your personal account and send some part of the amount back to the Canadian Lottery in the included return envelope, using one of your personal checks "to verify" your account or some crap like that. Then, your Canadian lottery winnings would be sent to you.

I called the legal firm in New York and found these scammers had targeted them and that they were still in the early phase (a couple days) of discovering and dealing with the problem. People who had received and cashed these counterfeit checks had already hit their account pretty hard, so they had assigned people to deal with the problem and were working with their bank to identify each bad transaction have them reversed. I took the check and documents to my bank but they had not seen this one yet. They contacted the issuing bank back east the next day and found these checks had caused a real headache, being perfect duplicates of real checks legitimately issued by the law firm.

The individual recipients of these checks who cashed the checks were financially responsible and if they had sent their own check to the "Canadian Lottery," as instructed, they were screwed.

A couple other, similar checks arrived here, but different law firms, banks, etc. I gave them to my bank. Trying to interest the USPS in the mail fraud aspect was like spitting into the wind. Their ho-hum apprach of wanting me to call their mail fraud people, who in turn wanted me to file a complaint and do some other parts of their work for them was enough for me to just say no,

And would you believe that "Bob" actually looked up the word "abacus", while on the phone with me...and struggled his way through the idea of me using it as a computer. It's true. We spoke for a good minute or two about it.

Tell him you have an astrolabe and see where that goes.

I do not answer my land line

I do not answer Restricted numbers

I do not answer calls from outside my area code

I do not answer 8xx numbers

My answer message says Please leave a message. If we are interested in speaking with you we will call you back.

We get a phone call about 3:30 p.m. 2 times a week. It is for a solar company or a home remodeler. I have a solar array and do my own construction. For about a year I just asked if they knew we are on the do not call list? They hang up. But several days later would call again. So I started to listen to what they had to offer. I made an appointment for them to come and give us an estimate. It is funny when they call back to confirm the appointment, I say yes please we are really interested.

Several times a person has come to the house, by the way we are doing a 800 sq ft addition right now. The knock at the door and I go and answer it. I usually say, well you don't seem to listen when we said no, you are not paying attention to the do not call list so we thought having you see may help stop you from calling. Some times they shake their heads, some times they ask me why would I waste their time and one guy actually thought he was going to do some damage to me. The dog did not like this she is some what protective of me and he left. If each of us did this it might put a dent in the robo-calling that is going on.

Some years back, we were getting calls at 0-dark 30 in the morning from a guy who would be screaming questions into the phone in Spanish, frequently mentioning "dinero", aka, money. The Caller ID would just show "no name, no number".

Hi Folks,

We are on the "Do Not Call List." It works pretty well.

The absolute worst case of that being ignored was when I tore my meniscus by slipping on my kneecap (this was the second time I tore it), was in excruciating pain, barely made it to the phone, and it was a Telemarketer. I screamed that I was on the DNCL and was going to report them. I finally remembered and did so about three weeks later.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Long long before the days of caller ID and answering machines...and you had to take the call in the kitchen where the phone was...I remember my mom would get sales calls and act like she had been waiting all her life for them to call, but needed a second and could they hold....then she laid the phone down and went back to whatever she was doing...ha ha..... My mom was funny

4Trod

we called a number that was listed and it came back as an "unassigned" majcjak number...dead end

c.a.t.

I do not want any of them to know where I live. they just might wait til I am not at home.

a number of years ago we were plagued with calls, and I told them they best not call back. when they called back I gave them a good blast from one of those compressed air horns. (I had one get really p/0'd, and the other one never called back. might use that one again as I had one call me back the other back and basicly threatened me..telling me I would be plagued with callbacks.I feel when they continue to call me they are at my mercy or lack of.

curley

Archived