SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry insurance

Back 40 #23910 L

Hey 40. No, I don't have cc insurance. Never thought about it until now. It would make sense. One thing the instructor that taught my class stressed was that if every you were involved in a shooting, you would be sued. If you killed them, it would be their family suing for wrongful death. Gonna have to think on this one. Thanks for the post!

Who would write such a policy??

You need a good lawyer, not aflac.

Those of you that conceal carry, do you carry insurance if you were to ever be involved in an incident?

For carrying only? Nope.

Today I asked my State Farm agent if my umbrella policy covered my legal fees if I had to protect my life/family etc with deadly force.

"NOPE"

Today I asked my State Farm agent if my umbrella policy covered my legal fees if I had to protect my life/family etc with deadly force.

"NOPE"

In Texas you cannot be sued by the injured person or his next of kin if you shot him during the commission of a crime whether misdemeanor or felony because he wouldn't have been shot if he wasn't committing the crime in the first place. Indiana has a similar law. Know and check your state laws and if your state doesn't have something similar send the law below to your Gov. state senators and representatives. Many lawyers here in Tx don't know about this law and it's been law sinc '95.

Here's the law from the Texas Civil Remedies & Practice Code.

Sec. 86.002. RECOVERY OF DAMAGES FOR INJURY TO CONVICTED PERSON PROHIBITED. (a) A claimant who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor may not recover damages for an injury sustained during the commission of the felony or misdemeanor if the injury would not have been sustained but for the commission of the felony or misdemeanor.

(B) Subsection (a) does not bar the claimant from recovering damages if the claimant shows that:

(1) the damages arose from an act entirely separate from any act intended to result in the:

(A) prevention of the commission of a felony or misdemeanor by the claimant; or

(B) apprehension of the claimant during or immediately after the commission of the felony or misdemeanor; and

(2) the damages did not arise from a premises defect or other circumstance that the claimant was exposed to as a result of the commission of the felony or misdemeanor.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 604, Sec. 1, eff. Aug. 28, 1995. Renumbered from Civil Practice and Remedies Code Sec. 87.002 by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 31.01(8), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

"NOPE"

Interesting, my State Farm agent said the opposite. Read my umbrella policy and found no exclusion like this.

This is a very interesting subject for all of us. I've thought about it a lot. So, just some thoughts born of conversations, reading etc. I'm no lawyer and I'm not offering advice. I also don't play a lawyer on TV.

Once you pull a gun and, God forbid, shoot someone, I'm told, the legal expenses will begin to mount rapidly. Of course this depends on whether a DA decides to file charges or not. If the DA is aggressive and it goes to court and you're later found innocent of criminal charges, I could see thousands of dollars spent in defense costs. Retainer, on-going legal expenses, expert witnesses, etc, etc. And as has been indicated, a civil suit could follow or be filed even if a DA declines to prosecute. Just Google self-defense legal issues and you'll find a considerable amount of information.

I keep researching this subject because, from what i understand, self-defense legal costs could amount to many thousands of dollars. I haven't purchased any CC insurance yet as I'm doing the very research I've mentioned here. Do your homework on this subject to make an informed decision.

Anyone have any experience with with the expenses involved with any type of self-defense issue? If so, your experience would be interesting to know.

Major Pain :FlagAm:/>

I just took my ccw class last saterday and the instructor who is a retired LEO and is now a juvenile court officer told us that if we carry we should defiantly get insurance because as Doc Eells said we would be sued if we ever had to use our ccw.

Maybe this thread should be combined with the one where pards are saying it's a stupid idea.

Take a look at http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/home

I looked at some of the people involved, both the trainers affilated with the organization and the advisory board under the Defense Fund tab and there are a lot of well known and reputable firearms trainers involved with this group.

Well I'm not going to pull my pistol because someone cut me off at a red light, I’m not gonna’ chase down a suspicious neighborhood creep or even stop a robbery at a convince store……the risks of escalating the violence is too great and I can heal up and money can be replaced. IMO it’s in these type situations are where people get in that grey area and increase the risk of being sued.

So, if I ever have to use it the last thing on my mind will be if it was necessary or was I using too much force…..I’ll just be happy to still be alive and go from there.

Well I'm not going to pull my pistol because someone cut me off at a red light, I'm not gonna' chase down a suspicious neighborhood creep or even stop a robbery at a convince store……the risks of escalating the violence is too great and I can heal up and money can be replaced. IMO it's in these type situations are where people get in that grey area and increase the risk of being sued.

So, if I ever have to use it the last thing on my mind will be if it was necessary or was I using too much force…..I'll just be happy to still be alive and go from there.

Kinda the way I was thinking too.^_^/>

Waimea

:FlagAm:/>

I wonder if there would be any legal assistance from the NRA if a Member with a CCW had to protect themself? We had a Neighborhood watch up here in the Mountains the other night. The local Deputy was there. They are very gun friendly in this part of California. He suggested that anyone with a CCW should either get insurance or join the NRA.

Snakebite

The best insurance is to be DAMN SURE YOU know when and how to react and what to do after You do so. I have been there more than once and waiting for the Grand Jury to bill or no bill You is worst than the action You have had to take. The words You use afterwards are super important and in Your heart know You acted only as the last defence.

Witness are not always a help as its over so fast most dont remember seeing the actural experence and if they are the subjects friends or family you can count on them being against you.

I have learned from the experences of others and perhaps myself a few things I never fail to do when I load a carry gun. First and foremost I never touch a case or bullet with my bare fingers or hand and always use a glove or rag when taking a round out of the box and putting it in the magazine or gun making super sure there are no fingerprints on the case or bullet. I was taught this years ago by men who lived by a gun.

One thing I like about Texas is many of Us have lived in rual areas and have been around guns all our lives as well as two legged sob that needed killing any way. We understand things are different here and the laws protect the honest person moreso than in other states.

I would think such insurance would be of great help anyway and as with a gun its not needed till the time comes then its needed very badly.

Your Pard, Texas Man

The best insurance is to be DAMN SURE YOU know when and how to react and what to do after You do so. I have been there more than once and waiting for the Grand Jury to bill or no bill You is worst than the action You have had to take. The words You use afterwards are super important and in Your heart know You acted only as the last defence.

Witness are not always a help as its over so fast most dont remember seeing the actural experence and if they are the subjects friends or family you can count on them being against you.

I have learned from the experences of others and perhaps myself a few things I never fail to do when I load a carry gun. First and foremost I never touch a case or bullet with my bare fingers or hand and always use a glove or rag when taking a round out of the box and putting it in the magazine or gun making super sure there are no fingerprints on the case or bullet. I was taught this years ago by men who lived by a gun.

One thing I like about Texas is many of Us have lived in rual areas and have been around guns all our lives as well as two legged sob that needed killing any way. We understand things are different here and the laws protect the honest person moreso than in other states.

I would think such insurance would be of great help anyway and as with a gun its not needed till the time comes then its needed very badly.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Your Pard, Texas Man

Your Pard, Texas Man

Looks like an insurance company disguised as a concealed carry blog.

Will I have my own individual insurance policy?

No, Self-Defense SHIELD is not an individually underwritten insurance policy. The USCCA Self-Defense SHIELD is an insurance-backed, criminal and civil liability benefit. The USCCA owns the insurance policy and the Silver Plus, Gold Plus and Platinum Plus members are the beneficiary of this insurance policy. (Please see the Self-Defense SHIELD diagram for the the specific criminal and civil liability limits.)

olen

When someone fires a weapon in self defence, he/she owns the bullet, or bullets. Collateral damage caused by a bullet that misses the target, or passes through the target and strikes property or another person, is the shooters responsibility. Even in a person's home, bullets could pass through the walls and enter neighbor's homes.

When I recently took the NRA sponsored cource on Self Defence in the Home, the instructor stated that, in his experience, the legal costs associated with using a weapon to defend yourself are between $40-80,000. If you shoot someone who is threatening you in your home, you will be arrested, your home will be declared a crime scene, and you will not be allowed to return until an investigation is completed. And that assumes that there is no issue with the person possesing the gun used to defend him/her self.

And then there is the George Zimmermann case!

According to my State Farm agent, as soon as I willfully pull the trigger on the bad guy, I am NOT covered under my home owners. Is this the way you folks understand it?

This may sound strange, and in a way, I think it is.

When I first got my CCW here in Massachusetts, the Chief of Police to me, "Kevin, if you ever have to shoot someone, shoot to kill. If you just wound him, they can sue you for injuries and question the validity of the shooting. If you kill him, it's considered to be self-defense, and you can't be sued for that."

Or words to that effect.

I guess it just depends on where you are.

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

This may sound strange, and in a way, I think it is.

When I first got my CCW here in Massachusetts, the Chief of Police to me, "Kevin, if you ever have to shoot someone, shoot to kill. If you just wound him, they can sue you for injuries and question the validity of the shooting. If you kill him, it's considered to be self-defense, and you can't be sued for that."

Or words to that effect.

I guess it just depends on where you are.

That's the same advice that I received year ago. But with that said, I believe the family will come after me even if the dead perp has a rap sheet as long as his arm.

Archived