SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry insurance

Back 40 #23910 L

That's the same advice that I received year ago. But with that said, I believe the family will come after me even if the dead perp has a rap sheet as long as his arm.

Well, thats better than having your loved ones killed because ye worried so much over this an that to get off your arse an do something to stop tha dam nut! They can have what I got left any day!

RRR

Guest Paniolo Cowboy SASS #75875

Well, thats better than having your loved ones killed because ye worried so much over this an that to get off your arse an do something to stop tha dam nut! They can have what I got left any day!

RRR

I never said I was worried about squat! Me personally, I believe in taking a threat out immediately. At any cost - just as I have in the past. It don't matter to me who dies if it comes down to protecting me and mine.

I was just stating a fact of life here in California. It's almost a certainty that some jerkweed will sue - afterwards.

As for me, I don't give a shit. They can come take what they can from me. But it would be nice though if there were some sort of insurance to be had, just so the perp's family wouldn't end up owning my property and maybe putting my wife in the street because of lawyer costs.

I know of one guy here in California who lost his home over a suit, even after he won the civil suit. Granted he did what was needed to do, but he lost almost everything he and his family worked their whole lives for.

But let me make it clear to you, I am not as you said "worried so much over this an that to get off your arse an do something to stop tha dam nut!" That might be someone else, but that ain't me.

Well I'm not going to pull my pistol because someone cut me off at a red light, I’m not gonna’ chase down a suspicious neighborhood creep or even stop a robbery at a convince store……the risks of escalating the violence is too great and I can heal up and money can be replaced. IMO it’s in these type situations are where people get in that grey area and increase the risk of being sued.

So, if I ever have to use it the last thing on my mind will be if it was necessary or was I using too much force…..I’ll just be happy to still be alive and go from there.

My thinking exactly, the 6 versus 12 decision.

When someone fires a weapon in self defence, he/she owns the bullet, or bullets. Collateral damage caused by a bullet that misses the target, or passes through the target and strikes property or another person, is the shooters responsibility. Even in a person's home, bullets could pass through the walls and enter neighbor's homes.

When I recently took the NRA sponsored cource on Self Defence in the Home, the instructor stated that, in his experience, the legal costs associated with using a weapon to defend yourself are between $40-80,000. If you shoot someone who is threatening you in your home, you will be arrested, your home will be declared a crime scene, and you will not be allowed to return until an investigation is completed. And that assumes that there is no issue with the person possesing the gun used to defend him/her self.

And then there is the George Zimmermann case!

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at at Holiday Inn Express last night but are you sure about that? Arrested, or detained? That seems like an overly broad statement.

My thinking exactly, the 6 versus 12 decision.

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at at Holiday Inn Express last night but are you sure about that? Arrested, or detained? That seems like an overly broad statement.

The NRA required that one of the instructors for the Self Defense in the Home course be a currently employed police officer. The one that I had was a 30 year veteran in a South Central PA police force. I'm just quoting what he stated.

A video was shown in the class where a guy with a knife was charging a woman who was behind her bed in her second floor bedroom when she shot him. The last scene showed her being taken away in handcuffs.

I just read a brochure from the armed citizens network that stated that in anti-gun jurisdictions you will likely be arrested and charged, but in other jurisdictions if you were justified and can explain the elements of 'ability' 'opportunity' and 'jeopardy' to the investigating officers you will likely not be arrested.

I carry a PUP (Personal Umbrella Protection) liability policy for one million dollars that kicks in after my home owners policy liability insurance would get exhausted. I have it for a couple of reasons. One I own my house and wouldn't like to lose it. A concealed carry issue is always a possibility. Also from past experience we had an incident at our local gun club about 5 years ago in which a bullet left the property and hit a guy. The club and club officers were all sued. It's just now getting resolved and luckily the club liability insurance is paying. I am now a club officer and want some protection in the event something like that would happen again. Even an RO could get dragged into a lawsuit if something should happen at a stage he/she was conducting if it was deemed negligent which every lawyer would claim. Personally I am happy to spend less than $200 a year for the protection. Just my opinion.

Just buy an Umbrella Policy from your Insurance Company that you use.Relatively inexpensive libility insurance and can be bought in multipes of $1,000,000

I carry $2M on Me and $2M on my wife.

Archived