SASS Wire Forum

Les Miserables

The wife and I went to see "Les Miserables (Les Mis)" that opened today. Very, very good movie.

I have seen the play at the Kennedy Center and on Broadway (the wife has seen the play 4 or 5 times) and the movie is a film adaptation of the play.

I'll tell you, I liked the movie better than the stage performances. I think that is because I can see the faces better and the sets are much larger than can be done on a stage. The fight at the barricade was more graphic and violent. The singing was well done but not as well as I heard from the stage performance. However, the acting in the movie was superb and moving.

Folks, the musical 'Les Mis' is a masterpiece. This is confirmed by the 6,680 performances on Broadway. The movie is very well done and the singing brings out the emotions that touch the soul.

I highly recommend seeing this movie.

:FlagAm: I read that the actors actually sang in the movie rather than lip sync to prerecorded performances as is usually done in movies.

My daughters, Momma and her girl friend are going tomorrow. Kinda of a girls Christmas party.

Great story and Birdgun is correct it is a masterpiece. Victor Hugo caught a facet of life and presented

it for all to see.

Great book. Why the singing?

I think they do that in musicals... :rolleyes:

Just watched "Paint Your Wagon" last week - they wuz singin' it that too, and it was a western of sorts! ^_^

Bob, that's like asking, why poetry?

A question I have asked many a time. ;)

I tend to rank musicals right up there with opera and ballet.

I don't understand the reasons for any of 'em. Therefore I don't like 'em. I've seen some of the best performances in both opera and ballet, world-class performers and performances, and I still missed the point. As far as musicals go, I gave up on them when I realized people didn't break into song and dance routines in real life and I wasn't going to waste my time watching movies where they did.

OK, do I earn my curmudgeon merit badge now? :lol:

I don't understand the reasons for any of 'em. Therefore I don't like 'em. I've seen some of the best performances in both opera and ballet, world-class performers and performances, and I still missed the point. As far as musicals go, I gave up on them when I realized people didn't break into song and dance routines in real life and I wasn't going to waste my time watching movies where they did.

OK, do I earn my curmudgeon merit badge now? :lol:/>

Bama:

The Fine Arts are sorta like single malt scotch; neither occurs in Nature, both represent Man's attempt to reach for a higher, more refined expression of his soul, and both require some amount of study, reflection and repeated exposure to develop an appreciation. There are dozens of faster, cheaper ways to get your jollies; but some say you

will never truly experience the ultimate stimulation of your senses AND your mind until you come to appreciate either.

I have some appreciation for some of the Arts; unfortunately, Les Mis just never satisfied my mind or my tastes. Outdated subject matter, excessive agonizing, typically French overwrought obsessive behaviors. I tend to find fault with most "events" that "everyone" feels compelled to attend and then talk about endlessly. It's as though most of them did not really appreciate the work, but rather felt compelled to be "in" on the buzz. At the urging of Mrs. LL,I did see the stage version in Boston; that was quite sufficient, thank you. Maybe even a bit more than sufficient. Like single malt, not every artistic exercise satisfies every palate.

LL

Never liked musicals and I've been a musician all my life. Go figger............they just seem way too corny to be taken seriously.

When I was a kid about 12-13 I liked West Side Story, when I saw it later in life again, I thought it really sucked!

:) Rye

Bama:

The Fine Arts are sorta like single malt scotch; neither occurs in Nature, both represent Man's attempt to reach for a higher, more refined expression of his soul, and both require some amount of study, reflection and repeated exposure to develop an appreciation. There are dozens of faster, cheaper ways to get your jollies; but some say you

will never truly experience the ultimate stimulation of your senses AND your mind until you come to appreciate either.

I have some appreciation for some of the Arts; unfortunately, Les Mis just never satisfied my mind or my tastes. Outdated subject matter, excessive agonizing, typically French overwrought obsessive behaviors. I tend to find fault with most "events" that "everyone" feels compelled to attend and then talk about endlessly. It's as though most of them did not really appreciate the work, but rather felt compelled to be "in" on the buzz. At the urging of Mrs. LL,I did see the stage version in Boston; that was quite sufficient, thank you. Maybe even a bit more than sufficient. Like single malt, not every artistic exercise satisfies every palate.

LL

LL, well said. We all have our likes and dislikes in the arts. I like most music, but I don't like it all. I like most poetry, but I don't like it all. Some forms of an art I like, some forms of an art I don't like.

To throw out a blanket statement of an art like, "I don't like poetry," is robbing oneself of joys.

When I retired from the Army in 1989, I went back to college to get my degree. I had a sweet little English teacher that questioned me why I rolled my eyes when she said we were going to study poetry. I said to the sweet lady that I didn't like poetry. She asked why and I gave her some lame reason, which I can't remember. I do remember her reply. She asked me if I liked all music. I said, "No." She asked, "What do you like?" I told her the styles of music I like. She asked the same about visual arts and I gave my likes and dislikes. She then said, "You don't have to like all poetry. Find those you like." She opened a treasure room to me that I'd before choose not to enter. I have found the joys of poetry.

Let me share one short poem I particularly like and that I think some here in the Saloon can appreciate. ^_^/>

Judged by the Company One Keeps

One night in late October,

When I was far from sober,

Returning with my load with manly pride,

My feet began to stutter,

So I lay down in the gutter,

And a pig came near and lay down by my

side;

A lady passing by was heard to say:

"You can tell a man who boozes,

By the company he chooses,"

And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

--ANONYMOUS

J-Bar, now that's opera even I can appreciate. Maybe there's hope for me yet (but I still want my curmudgeon merit badge!).

LL, well said. We all have our likes and dislikes in the arts. I like most music, but I don't like it all. I like most poetry, but I don't like it all. Some forms of an art I like, some forms of an art I don't like.

To throw out a blanket statement of an art like, "I don't like poetry," is robbing oneself of joys.

When I retired from the Army in 1989, I went back to college to get my degree. I had a sweet little English teacher that questioned me why I rolled my eyes when she said we were going to study poetry. I said to the sweet lady that I didn't like poetry. She asked why and I gave her some lame reason, which I can't remember. I do remember her reply. She asked me if I liked all music. I said, "No." She asked, "What do you like?" I told her the styles of music I like. She asked the same about visual arts and I gave my likes and dislikes. She then said, "You don't have to like all poetry. Find those you like." She opened a treasure room to me that I'd before choose not to enter. I have found the joys of poetry.

Let me share one short poem I particularly like and that I think some here in the Saloon can appreciate. ^_^/>/>/>/>

Judged by the Company One Keeps

One night in late October,

When I was far from sober,

Returning with my load with manly pride,

My feet began to stutter,

So I lay down in the gutter,

And a pig came near and lay down by my

side;

A lady passing by was heard to say:

"You can tell a man who boozes,

By the company he chooses,"

And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

--ANONYMOUS

Actually, what she said was:

YOU CAN TELL A MAN WHO DRINKS

BY THE WAY THAT HE STINKS

AND THE PIG GOT UP AND RAN AWAY.

Momma and the girls went to see the movie yesterday. The story is one of Momma's favorites. She enjoyed it very much, including the singing. I did not go. I do not have enough culture that they would allow me into the theatre.

We went to see Les Mis, and I must say it was among the more intense pieces of film I have seen in quite some time. Of course, I saw the stage play some twenty plus years ago and have read the book a couple of times. To me, it was more "opera" than "musical" considering that all dialogue was sang and not spoken. It didn't make it any less enjoyable for me.

I recognize it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for me, it was well done and well worth my time to go see it.

I generally don't watch musicals but there are a few I've liked. Paint You Wagon is not one, nor is Oklahoma.

I understand Les Mis is much more opera than musical. I just don't particularly like a story that's been adapted to that form. While I enjoy a number of opera copmpositions and singers, I find it difficult so sit through a whole opera. That's just me. Art is very subjective and I never try to convince anyone about it.

I generally don't watch musicals but there are a few I've liked. Paint You Wagon is not one, nor is Oklahoma.

I understand Les Mis is much more opera than musical. I just don't particularly like a story that's been adapted to that form. While I enjoy a number of opera copmpositions and singers, I find it difficult so sit through a whole opera. That's just me. Art is very subjective and I never try to convince anyone about it.

One of my favorite beer commercials from a few years back was of two pro football players that were trying to improve their culture.

Player #1: We went to the opera last night. Tonight we're going to the ballet.

Player #2: Yah. I just hope the ballet is in English.

One of my favorite beer commercials from a few years back was of two pro football players that were trying to improve their culture.

Player #1: We went to the opera last night. Tonight we're going to the ballet.

Player #2: Yah. I just hope the ballet is in English.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, do I earn my curmudgeon merit badge now? :lol:

Here ya go, 'Bama~! ^_^

Curmudgeon Badge :lol:

I'm cheap, so I'll wait for the DVD. Plus, at home I can sit and watch it in my skivies, scratch where it itches, drink beer and pester SWMBO.

Archived